Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2010  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
Re: So, what are you learning now? 2010
« Reply #1075 on: November 22, 2010, 10:43:27 pm »
Hey Knighty - condolences Dude - it is a very tough time losing your father. I went for a 62km run the day after my Dads funeral - immersing yourself is good, but use it to remember the good things. I thought about my Dad a lot that day and I still fondly remember that run.

So why not pick out a piece that you can dedicate to your Dads memory?

Just a thought......
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #1076 on: November 22, 2010, 11:22:45 pm »
Sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

Gone

Offline caseyrh43

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1077 on: November 22, 2010, 11:54:02 pm »
'Playing some form of scale' is one thing, but I haven't practised scales specifically.

I recommend practicing the scales then Cue. I put it off for the longest time but once I started my understanding of the fretboard and how it was put together leaped beyond what I thought I would ever bother with. You start to learn the patterns and it all becomes fairly simple after hours and hours of practice. :P But to each their own.
"The day that I die will be the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar"- Sublime, (Same in the end)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1078 on: November 23, 2010, 01:55:54 am »
I can find my intervals just fine. The rest is for later, I guess. I have not studied the scales extensively, but if you'd ask me the five positions of the major scale I probably wouldn't have too much difficulty with it (I might mess up on the notes below the lowest root note, though). It's more the thing about knowing where I am, so I can avoid certain notes (like fourths over the 'underlying' chord). Also traying my ears to know which interval sits where in the key.

Sorry for your loss, knighty.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline Phalanx

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #1079 on: November 23, 2010, 01:48:25 pm »
Because I was bored last night I put up the basic 12 bar blues in A backing track and started to play some licks. It most likely sounded horrible and it probably didn't have very good technique but improvising over backing tracks is so much fun. :P

I actually put it on my practise routine because it really is great fun, so hopefully my improvising will improve soon. :)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #1080 on: November 23, 2010, 01:59:22 pm »

I actually put it on my practise routine because it really is great fun, so hopefully my improvising will improve soon. :)

good thing!
somewhere in the middle of my very variable and organic practice sessions, I turn on a beat and start off with some improvising over a pretty cliché A-D-E progression. The clue is to keep feeling the rhythm and the chord going on and make the chordswitches in my head while I solo over my own imaginary chord progression. I find it a good exercise on my fields and improvising with a turnaround by hasing up the typical turnarounds tends to be tricky at times :)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1081 on: November 23, 2010, 02:03:28 pm »
@ knighty
sympathies and sadness for your loss

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1082 on: November 23, 2010, 02:49:40 pm »

Having been on here for a couple of years and making sure i've got all the begginers course down ,i've started with justins solo blues course.
 My father died at the weekend and i really want to get into it,so i've started with the solo blues 1 and am learning the free giving from justin first, its got a great feel and i can see myself spending hours on it,it'll take my mind of everything  :'(

So sorry for your loss! I can relate!  I just lost my father May 24th of this year!  It's good to be as busy as you can be.  It really does help with the grieving process!
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline Phalanx

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #1083 on: November 23, 2010, 05:54:14 pm »

good thing!
somewhere in the middle of my very variable and organic practice sessions, I turn on a beat and start off with some improvising over a pretty cliché A-D-E progression. The clue is to keep feeling the rhythm and the chord going on and make the chordswitches in my head while I solo over my own imaginary chord progression. I find it a good exercise on my fields and improvising with a turnaround by hasing up the typical turnarounds tends to be tricky at times :)
Yeah, that's true. But when starting out I guess you don't really need to worry about the changes, right? The 12 bar blues backing track is in A and all of the licks I used (mostly from the lead guitar course) are also in A.

steveo2

« Reply #1084 on: November 23, 2010, 06:52:37 pm »
'Playing some form of scale' is one thing, but I haven't practised scales specifically.
Yeah your not going to get to Church st that way, I can sure your playing scales , even if your just playing chords you play all seven chords in the scale , well that's the scale. ;D

good luck

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1085 on: November 23, 2010, 07:37:57 pm »
I know how scales work.
Production and mixing

Offline knighty 1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1086 on: November 24, 2010, 12:37:13 am »

Thanks everyone much appreiated,lovely bunch of people on here :)

Offline caseyrh43

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1087 on: November 24, 2010, 01:30:31 am »

Yeah sorry to hear about your Dad man.

I've been playing a lot of speed metal, just practicing my muted percussive picking while running through minor and Phyrigian scales. Also been working on harmonies with a guitar player I know and we've been learning Breaking the Law by Judas Priest, Simple but a lot of fun. :D
"The day that I die will be the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar"- Sublime, (Same in the end)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1088 on: November 24, 2010, 01:58:17 am »
Try Locrian too. :P

Soon I will not be posting here anymore.
"Why not?"
I hope to get a mandolin very soon!
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1089 on: November 24, 2010, 06:18:06 am »

I've been playing a lot of speed metal, just practicing my muted percussive picking while running through minor and Phyrigian scales. Also been working on harmonies with a guitar player I know and we've been learning Breaking the Law by Judas Priest, Simple but a lot of fun. :D

Casey are you doing any "speed" exercises?  I'm looking for something to increase my dexterity and speed.
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

steveo2

« Reply #1090 on: November 24, 2010, 04:30:27 pm »

I missed this , truly sorry for your lose, I don't expect my Mother to live much longer.
I hope to die in the way I have dream of for most of my life.
I do not think about death to much, I accept it as part of life.

Having a hard time posting this thread takes me too long to down loaded it has got very long.

Thanks for sharing  ;D

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1091 on: November 24, 2010, 11:41:42 pm »

I missed this , truly sorry for your lose, I don't expect my Mother to live much longer.
I hope to die in the way I have dream of for most of my life.
I do not think about death to much, I accept it as part of life.

Having a hard time posting this thread takes me too long to down loaded it has got very long.

Thanks for sharing  ;D

I get reminded of my mortality everyday.  I look after my MIL who is 88 and in the fiinal stage of demensia!  I think this disease is worse than cancer.

steveo2

« Reply #1092 on: November 25, 2010, 12:44:09 am »
I would hate to lose my mind, I spoke with my father and he said same things like I never heard this when did this happen ,and my favorite,
Why didn't you tell me about it , I tell him the truth I did tell you but you will forget before we hang up the phone.
Cancer and gunshot seems to be the killers of my blood line.

Take it from a Judas Priest , just forgive people best you can and try to be happy the key to happiness is just being truly grateful.
As bad as thing are now it could be worst so I am grateful I played and laughed today.

I am grateful I have a gig at a party for thanks giving and it should be great food and over a hundred people who most all have heard me and I should do fine, lots of fun.

when it all comes down no one on his death bed says you know I wish I had spent more time at work.
Good food, good conversation and few laughs with some music, really to even want more is asking for to much.
 ;D :D ;) :)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1093 on: November 25, 2010, 01:23:30 am »
When I die it has to be fast.  Splat!  Like a bug on a windsheild!  None of this lingering death drama for me!

Losing your mind is a horrible thing!  My MIL doesn't even know who I am anymore!  It's so sad!

Offline caseyrh43

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1094 on: November 25, 2010, 03:35:46 am »

Casey are you doing any "speed" exercises?  I'm looking for something to increase my dexterity and speed.

Yes I am, I run minor scales up and down alternate picking each note, slowly increasing my speed. Also lookup paul gilbert's lesson's on youtube. He has some great speed boosting exercises on there. He's insane lol.

Offline Lemming

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #1095 on: November 25, 2010, 12:40:36 pm »
"Why not?"

Really ?? Can't say I'd noticed you mention it on any of the threads  ;)
www.lemming750.co.uk
www.theuniononline.com/
www.myspace.com/glamalice

My Gear:.......
Hohner Strat copy;Aria Les Paul Copy; Applause Electro Acoustic; Novanex 50W amp; Roland Microcube; Tony iommi's Pre-amp !!

Offline Phalanx

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #1096 on: November 25, 2010, 01:02:38 pm »
Cue, stop thinking about it and just buy one! Mandolins are very cool. :)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1097 on: November 25, 2010, 01:38:18 pm »
No... I need to get the best deal practically possible.
IOW, set-up by the dealer and including a case. I won't take less than a Kentucky KM-505 I think.
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1098 on: November 25, 2010, 02:49:56 pm »
"Why not?"

Really ?? Can't say I'd noticed you mention it on any of the threads  ;)

so after you get a mandolin your just going to shut us, your friends out of your life?
I <3 you too!  lol

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1099 on: November 25, 2010, 02:58:31 pm »
That's not the point, look at the thread title. :P
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App