Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2010  (Read 2795 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
Re: So, what are you learning now? 2010
« Reply #1125 on: December 18, 2010, 05:19:54 pm »
Wow steveo2 that was a smokin' song. They are really good.

Licks, I think you are confusing something. You mention not being able to see the connections and having to skip strings going up or down. That seems not quite right to me. I really don;t quit understand what you mean.

But you can go up and down a minor scale on one string. Everything connects together in a similar fashion but with a different set of notes.

I kind of agree with steveo2 here. I think it would be better if you played a simple sequence of say Em Am Bm and used your E minor scale over that to see things.

Gone

steveo2

« Reply #1126 on: December 18, 2010, 05:52:10 pm »
I haven't been doing this for a year and only started this stuff in September 2010 with my new teacher.  Do the math?  Not to be snotty.  It really hasn't been this long.  5 months!  Sometimes it takes certain people longer.  I happen to be one of those people.  We are not all Einsteins!
I can't count months LOL.
It's not a math thing, as you said your new teach , you have been posting a long time, so you have been playing a long time.
I think you are taking it personal that your backing track is a loose bunch of chords,
 I would get sad if I played to it or fall asleep.
I have no agenda but to try to help others here.
The truth can hurt, still is the truth.
Trying to learn metal with no Drummer is like making love with your cloths on.
It would be pointless and no fun, well maybe a little fun.
Girls , guitars are high on the list of my thought of life ad food and I am a grateful and happy guy ;D
You play to have fun, but you are a passionate person.
It is truly time to learn the 15 chords and let some passion loose.

I got lessons book that are really old and still don't get it.
I have ears that have been doing this a long time.
My finger can;t do all of what my ears what them to do.

The question asked in the General Forum have been bad for like a month.
Are you sure have been playing only three months, I swear I posted with you when it was cold then summer came and now it's cold again.
It take as long as it takes, I wish I had more musical talent.
I sing good and I can entertain people, I have seen people posting that they play for years and don't understand scales ,
It's because they don't see the chords.
With guitar the chords should be E A D C G .
I say this because in the 5 chord form the E A and D are the chord that sound good in all 5 position and the C and G are harder to fret away from the open position.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #1127 on: December 18, 2010, 05:57:45 pm »
I'm currently learning this "jazzy" version of "white christmas"

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?5565522

it's a tab I know; but otherwise it would take me long to figure out as I'm a nnovice in jazz.
good exercise to match jazz shapes with the sound of a familiar song though
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

steveo2

« Reply #1128 on: December 18, 2010, 06:14:02 pm »
Wow steveo2 that was a smokin' song. They are really good.

Licks, I think you are confusing something. You mention not being able to see the connections and having to skip strings going up or down. That seems not quite right to me. I really don;t quit understand what you mean.

But you can go up and down a minor scale on one string. Everything connects together in a similar fashion but with a different set of notes.

I kind of agree with steveo2 here. I think it would be better if you played a simple sequence of say Em Am Bm and used your E minor scale over that to see things.

Hey! TB
Or any one.
I saw there was a message how do I not lose my message and see what the other message is???.
Each Forum is different.
TB you also know that rhythm is very important , very well maybe the most important thing in music.
You also know that the right way to learn the scales is too learn the chord.
you are a great help here at the site.
Kind of agreeing about this is like bathing with your cloths on, but then again you clean yourself and you cloths at the same time but I think you would miss a spot.on your body and you body covering as well.
Would be nice too hear a your right on even if my spelling is not good.
I am grateful I had an old man show me one scale, so truly I think there is still only one scale.
Just got a lesson from a very old lady, met her in a small music store, it was a piano lesson.
I recorded it, on tape hope it don't mess up.
A good teacher she was , when I told her I hand trouble with some theory stuff, she really opened my eye but I will have to get better at posting to even begin to explain it.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #1129 on: December 18, 2010, 06:44:04 pm »
TB you also know that rhythm is very important , very well maybe the most important thing in music.

Yes, it took me a long long time to believe and understand that but i am convinced rhythm as in timing and rhythm as in changing chords at will is the key to the kingdom.

Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1130 on: December 18, 2010, 07:04:39 pm »
Trying to transcribe this again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0rbF4BByNU

Well this version actually:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w1xPpdfMGE
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1131 on: December 18, 2010, 11:15:04 pm »
Here's my little riff,  G major/E minor

e----15*-14-12---------------------------------------------------------
B-------------12----15-13--------------12--12-13----------------------
G-------------------------14-12*---------14------------14-12-11-------
D------------------------------------------------------------------12--
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------

D---12-10-12----------------------------
A--------------9----------10*-9-h10*----
E------------------------------------\3*-

*=root note
Am I on the right track?  It may seem a bit awkward.  I don't know.  I'm so desperately trying to understand this!  Please God,  if there is one let this be right!
I am driving myself crazy trying to understand. 

So if I'm on the right track, it's time to get out the metronome and start picking up some speed.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:34:15 am by licksnkicks »
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline sid

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1132 on: December 18, 2010, 11:51:57 pm »
Licks, that sounds cool.

Just that it's not quite in Gmajor/Eminor, that 10th fret on g string is note F, that would make it Cmajor/Aminor.. or perhaps E phrygian?

In Eminor you would have note F#. Just wanted to point this out, no offense meant :)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1133 on: December 19, 2010, 12:07:55 am »
I just learned...

that my intonation is shot on one string. What's up with that?!
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1134 on: December 19, 2010, 12:29:35 am »
Licks, that sounds cool.

Just that it's not quite in Gmajor/Eminor, that 10th fret on g string is note F, that would make it Cmajor/Aminor.. or perhaps E phrygian?

In Eminor you would have note F#. Just wanted to point this out, no offense meant :)

Sid I did revise this just now and realized
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

EVH Fan

« Reply #1135 on: December 19, 2010, 12:32:49 am »
I'm trying to learn the solo to Turn Up The Radio by Autograph.

Not to hard but the four finger tapping is giving me a little trouble :(

Offline caseyrh43

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1136 on: December 19, 2010, 11:30:40 pm »
I'm learning how to link all the different positons of the minor scale and the pentatonic(I know this already)literally all over the neck.  I didn't get the minor scales and how they link to one another.  I kept on looking at Justin's vid on the 5 positions and it didn't really help matters.  I never realized that you can do the minor scale going forward on the neck but when you reverse it you have to go to the next higher string and then start the rest of the scale from there.  So many little complexities when doing this that you have to know. 

BTW Here's a backing track that I'm using.  I'm using the G major scale and the E minor scale.  Lots of endless possibilities!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emoodho4Zrs

This backing track is slow and gives you a bit of time to think on your feet.  It's an awesome track and very inspirational to play to.  I really love it!!
Hi Licks
These position your talking about do not make sense to me, if your get someone to to show you the chord within the scales this is the only learn way to get it.
I have been talking with you about this a year and after years a person could learn the connection of patterns without knowing the chord.
It 5 chords 10 if you include the Minor and 15 with the Dominate.

I would also look for netter backing tracks, this one is a peaceful thing with any rhythm structure you will get major timing problems by playing with tracks like this .

I may use this track to help me relax before bed but it is not a track with structure , just a wash of strings and reverb ;D

as always the best to you and yours.
I posted the minor scale Christmas song for you, kind of sad you did not learn it ;D
You could try silent night but that is the major scale,

Fast is not always good. Just because it is slow does not make it easy to play. IE David Gilmour. And practicing in different timings is never a bad thing. Oh and I think Eminor is an F#? 
"The day that I die will be the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar"- Sublime, (Same in the end)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1137 on: December 20, 2010, 01:22:10 am »
Slow is just as difficult as fast, IMHO. It's just that the technical side of it differs slightly.
Production and mixing

Offline joeybigO

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #1138 on: December 20, 2010, 07:06:11 am »
steveo

That was a nice backing track, I like it LOT!!!

I started using it just to study with different tempos, and I will use this to study Delays and effects on the RP-155 which sadly has only 1 delay setting and it can't exact the delay settings. But i'm using the High E minor Scale (Justin's 5th position) and the lower G (Justin's 1st Position) but I'm not using the licks on it. I'm just using some crazy thing thats going on in my head.

steveo2

« Reply #1139 on: December 21, 2010, 04:55:15 pm »
Here's my little riff,  G major/E minor

e----15*-14-12---------------------------------------------------------
B-------------12----15-13--------------12--12-13----------------------
G-------------------------14-12*---------14------------14-12-11-------
D------------------------------------------------------------------12--
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------

D---12-10-12----------------------------
A--------------9----------10*-9-h10*----
E------------------------------------\3*-

*=root note
Am I on the right track?  It may seem a bit awkward.  I don't know.  I'm so desperately trying to understand this!  Please God,  if there is one let this be right!
I am driving myself crazy trying to understand. 

So if I'm on the right track, it's time to get out the metronome and start picking up some speed.

The 1st 8 notes are the G major scale I think the other part after the fist 8 notes is not a great lick, but it's tab so I have know idea of how long to play the notes
Someone else has said this is not the G major scale, look and sounds like G major too me.
I did not see a note that what not in the scale in the first.
My eyes not that good , but I think it;s right.

I am not your teacher If I were to guess it looks like someone is trying to get you to look at all the half step stuff.
Look at the tab or scales play many half steps, the half step hammer on sounds so good going back to the root major or minor , sound good in both.

The words TB wrote are true and using songs as part of this learning is the way to go.

The Nat King Cole Classic The Merry Christmas song can be played using chord and notes found around a C open position chord.
No it will not sound like the record.
The more I try to learn it like the record the more I say why.
I will just keep making it my way.
Did click the tab link and got stuck at the 911 site.
I do not have an mp3 of this song, If I did I could have save myself some time using slow it down software lol
Nat sings this form a C shaped D chord.

Too play Jazz there is another really two songs that must be learned first.
I got rhythm I got music, is the best song to learn the 1 6 2 5 that song and it turn around was use as the base to make a millions other songs.
Autumn Leave is another song that must be learned, I see no way around not learning these progression.
Yeah after you learn it and think is this Gary Moores progression on Still got the blues the answer is yes it is.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #1140 on: December 21, 2010, 06:24:04 pm »
LnK, not sure what that lick is supposed to getting across other than it does all link up. But like steveo2 said without the proper timing it's kind of hard to tell what it's supposed to sound like.

One thing for sure though the notes on the A string need to be played such that they time up and resolve that G note. It seems like to me it should be two phrases with the first ending on G(12). the second ending on A 9 10 9 10. Then a final tag of that G note which I just slide to from the 12th fret.

But aside from all that if you want to figure this out try this.....

You will be playing all your lead work between frets 4 and 9. for all practical purposes we would say that you will play everything at "the 5th fret position" That's how you would communicate this to another player or in this case receive direction from another player.

OK, so don't forget all the single note stuff gets done at the 5th fret area. IOW, you will not be moving your hand up and down the neck. Most you will play outside frets 5 6 7 8 are maybe a 1 fret stretch either way.

OK,..... Now for the chords you will play. This is -not- going top be a song and pay no attention to key changes or what notes belong to what key. That will not matter.

What you need to do is play Cm for 8 bars. Then Em for 8, Then Am for 8, then Dm for 8. That should be enough. Just try to play a nice rhythm and think of it as changing keys each time.

Ok, now look up all your chords and figure what scale shape you need to use to play each at the 5th fret...

To get you started the Cm would require you use the G Shape minor pentatonic because that's the pattern that fits at fret 5 and sounds a C chord/scale.

Now as each chord plays change the pattern to the proper one. After you see that and can do it. then use chords that actually for a typical song. Like a ii V I say Cm F7 Bb but again play your lead all at the 5th fret position. All this involves is answering the simply question... what chord shape is required to form each chord at the 5th fret.

Of course play your chords in their normal places like open position or regular barre chords.

Gone

steveo2

« Reply #1141 on: December 21, 2010, 11:51:52 pm »
Cool TB
Lick after trying hard to get so licks from your tabs just like it is tabbed I am about crazy.
The tab is a poor lick or poor tab .
Maybe what has you confused is it is a G major sounding lick if you take it to E it will be minor.
Hope you get some of this and if not well keep trying.
the G note at the 3rd fret kind of a strange jump , but could be used I have licks that start at the 3 fret and go to the 7th and really sound like open G.
TB writing I get better than tab ,but I have to say 4th fret to 9th fret same string is  the start of We wish you a Merry Christmas.
Think this was cover in Justin first ear trainer.
Man Jedi Blasted him for messing up the intervals it's funny  ;D

Offline PattheBunny

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #1142 on: December 22, 2010, 08:15:58 am »
I am working on Get Back and Revolution but having major trouble with the shuffle and palm mute and all that jazz.  I get tense and can't find a groove.  :'(

So while I struggle on with it I decided that I also need to learn what seems like my anthem this past few weeks. The Ramones I Want To Be Sedated. ("I can't control my fingers, I can't control my brain..." )

I think I'm gonna do it as a ballad.  You know, as if i were already sedated...

Hey, where's the emoticon for comatose?

Pat

Realism is relative.

steveo2

« Reply #1143 on: December 22, 2010, 04:07:24 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFPHIK9ann8&feature=related

I like this tune , it's a Christmas tune.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1144 on: December 22, 2010, 10:24:06 pm »
I just learned that people enjoy my playing. Infact, so much that people voted for me to get on local tv...

I still can't believe it.
Production and mixing

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1145 on: December 23, 2010, 06:42:54 am »
wow Cue
sounds good
give us more detail

steveo2

« Reply #1146 on: December 23, 2010, 03:21:45 pm »
I am working on Get Back and Revolution but having major trouble with the shuffle and palm mute and all that jazz.  I get tense and can't find a groove.  :'

Palm muting is hard to tell how to help a person, best I can remember I did practice the muting technique as a young player.
I would say play these until you get the rhythm right and I think the muting just kind of happens as you get more time in playing.
John had a hard hitting hand, you can really tell on revolution , I like get back sweet intervals on the solo stuff ;D

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1147 on: December 24, 2010, 12:35:22 pm »
Thanks TB for setting me back on the straight and narrows of learning.  Sometimes my learning spins out of control and crash lands into an ugly mess!  Mistakes are good to make as long as one learns from them.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1148 on: December 25, 2010, 10:04:54 pm »
Licks made a lick...

and I made a run. xD
I think it sounds kinda fun:

E||----------------------------------|-----3---------------||
B||--0-1-3--3------------------------|-----3---------------||
G||------------2s-4-0-4-2-0------0---|-----0---------------||
D||-------------------------0h-2---0-|-----0---------------||
A||----------------------------------|-----2---------------||
E||----------------------------------|--3--3---------------||

s is a slide, btw.
Production and mixing

Offline sophiehiker

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Salida, Colorado USA
« Reply #1149 on: December 26, 2010, 12:39:52 pm »

Yes, it took me a long long time to believe and understand that but i am convinced rhythm as in timing and rhythm as in changing chords at will is the key to the kingdom.

"This means something!  It's important!!"
-- Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Mashed potatoes scene)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 03:53:57 pm by sophiehiker »
...where the deer and the antelope play.  Well, they're not really playing.  They're fleeing in terror.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App