Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2010  (Read 2789 times)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: So, what are you learning now? 2010
« Reply #1100 on: November 25, 2010, 06:43:47 pm »
Hey hunney bunney I'm teasing!  You should know my sense of humor by now!

Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1101 on: November 25, 2010, 09:05:04 pm »
That's not my poin! LOL.

The topic title says 'on the guitar'! Nothing about any other stringed instrument! :P
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

JimLad

« Reply #1102 on: November 25, 2010, 10:48:04 pm »
i use light d'addario exps on my acoustic and i think they sound fantastic, they definitely last longer but they are quite expensive.  recently switched from ernie balls to d'addario exps for my electric and im loving them.

i think they definitely last longer but 3-5 times longer is a bit of an exaggeration imo.

...how did this post get in here, its sposed to be in another thread  ???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:23:25 am by JimLad »

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1103 on: November 25, 2010, 10:53:48 pm »
I haven't switched strings on my electric for a year. I can't be bothered! LOL.
I've changed strings like 7 times on my acoustic though (of which 2 sets were coated, EXP and Elixir, Elixir topping at just 2 months of string life due to tuning problems).
Production and mixing

flyhead

« Reply #1104 on: November 25, 2010, 11:17:58 pm »
I don't get too uptight about changing strings either. When the strings get so dirty that it affects the balance of my guitar I might just do something about it.
My career as a session musician hasn't quite taken off in the way I intended.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1105 on: November 25, 2010, 11:57:45 pm »
Fast Fret does it for me. :P
Again I don't play electric as often.
Production and mixing

steveo2

« Reply #1106 on: November 26, 2010, 03:04:43 pm »
That's not my poin! LOL.

The topic title says 'on the guitar'! Nothing about any other stringed instrument! :P
Yeah been playing more Mandolin, there great for learning to alternate pick and there tiny.
Been working on more Christmas songs, do this every year.
Most are the traditional song , seems woman dig this song so I play it for the ladies. ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCoGDzKrfXU

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1107 on: November 26, 2010, 03:44:10 pm »
I've been doing extensive research, not on the mandolin itself but how I can pull the best deal out of it. I've already got my fingers set on the Kentucky KM-505.
Production and mixing

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #1108 on: November 27, 2010, 07:05:29 pm »
  Heard "You're Beautiful" on the radio today, and couldn't get it out of my head! So I transcribed it, and checked my work with this. Got all my chords right, but I don't agree on the ending. I believe it's F-G-Am;F-G-C. Correct me if I'm wrong. ;)
Check out my roadcase.

steveo2

« Reply #1109 on: November 27, 2010, 08:20:47 pm »
  Heard "You're Beautiful" on the radio today, and couldn't get it out of my head! So I transcribed it, and checked my work with this. Got all my chords right, but I don't agree on the ending. I believe it's F-G-Am;F-G-C. Correct me if I'm wrong. ;)
The main thing to take from this song is the progression itself.
Like so many song it come from the 1 5 4 6 chord progression.

The year is almost up, I really enjoyed the song Hey soul sister by train which is the same chord progression.

As a point of theory C and  A minor can be interchanged so it would be up to you to decide this.
 technically this may be called a 1 4 5 6 progression this is what I would call it.
Yeah just trying the push the major scale , understanding it and how to play it in the chord form will make life so much easier for anyone who plays any instrument  ;D

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1110 on: November 28, 2010, 03:25:50 am »
Arg!!  Still learning the minor scales.  There tricky!

Doing a power chord progression which is fun!  I really sound like I know what I'm doing here!  It's kinda funky! I was practicing this at 6:30 this morning.  Thank god for headphones.  Put a little distortion to it!

The solo to Rocking in the the free world.  I saw a transcribed version and it doesn't quite match Neils'!  He seems to change the song on every version that I have seen on Youtube.
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1111 on: November 28, 2010, 07:19:32 am »
I got that power chords thing underway and I sounded so amazing(not tooting my horn)  but all my three boys came out of the woodwork to listen to mom play and they all said I have improved a great deal!! They said it sounded similar to ''Glycerin" by Bush.  They stayed for the song.  The  youngest told me he wasn't just blowing smoke up my butt.  Makes me feel like I learned some stuff and sounded pretty cool.  I can hardly wait to wake up in 5 or 6 hours and play the power chords song.  The best fun I have had in along time

Minor scales are starting to grow with in the brain cells. Hooray!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 03:02:22 pm by licksnkicks »

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1112 on: November 28, 2010, 09:01:40 am »

I'm not tooting my horn ... ....

all my three boys came out of the woodwork ...

my youngest ... wasn't just blowing smoke up my butt  ....

Minor scales are starting to grow in the brain cells.

What kind of Freaky Horror Family have you got there licks?

:o
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:35:40 am by close2u »

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #1113 on: November 28, 2010, 09:30:46 am »

;D

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1114 on: November 28, 2010, 10:14:59 am »
  They stayed for the song.  My youngest told me wasn't just blowing smoke up my butt. 

A Canadian saying for he wasn't kidding, pulling my leg or jesting he truly met I was sounding better.

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #1115 on: November 28, 2010, 10:54:44 am »
Hehe....... Licks...... It means pretty much the same thing here... ....... Close is just messing with you ;)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1116 on: November 28, 2010, 01:10:04 pm »
Close is blowing smoke up your butt! xD

And I think I might get the mando somewhere during the week.
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1117 on: November 28, 2010, 03:07:44 pm »
Hehe....... Licks...... It means pretty much the same thing here... ....... Close is just messing with you ;)

Yes, yes I see indeedy do. No offence but you UKer's have your own slang terminology as we Canadians do and sometimes I think we both need a translator.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1118 on: November 28, 2010, 03:44:31 pm »

my boys came out of the woodwork ...

my youngest ... wasn't just blowing smoke ....

scales are starting to grow in the brain cells.

just pick out the best bits

lol

:D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:33:41 pm by close2u »

steveo2

« Reply #1119 on: November 28, 2010, 04:07:27 pm »

all my three boys came out of the woodwork ...

my youngest ... wasn't just blowing smoke up my butt  ....

Minor scales are starting to grow in the brain cells.

What kind of Freaky Horror Family have you got there licks?

:o
That's funny, love the Adams family I was just playing that theme song a few days ago.

Learning some more Jazz and Bluegrass too style that have nothing really in common, but in learning some of the songs of the season, it seems to be taking down a path.
Good King Wenceslas,
 on the feast of Steven has a different chord for every word.
I like the song cause it has a cool run in it and it's a feast with my name in it, kind of hard for me not to like. ;D

steveo2

« Reply #1120 on: November 28, 2010, 05:09:54 pm »
Hey! Guys
You can check behind my work, The song Oh come oh come Emmanuel,
Is the minor scale and it is a pretty song.
Since many guitarist seem to play the minor stuff more a song that use's only the minor scale seemed cool to add.
The melody is a little hard to get from this version , but wished too show a family that plays together, all that's missing is a Mandolin, since they have a pretty fiddle player , I will watch.
I guess a family that plays together will stay together , man that would be cool too have all kinds of musical talent right at home. ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Z-4H39BCM 

Offline caseyrh43

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1121 on: November 28, 2010, 10:49:01 pm »
Just been working on my speed metal. I've got all these licks and chord progressions I have come up for it, but I just can't seem to come up with a recording I like yet, and I end up wanting to snap my laptop and half and just delete them LOL. But one of these days when I get a decent recording down, I'll upload it.

Also been working on some bluesie progressions and some pentatonic licks. ;)
"The day that I die will be the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar"- Sublime, (Same in the end)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1122 on: December 18, 2010, 02:37:40 pm »
I'm learning how to link all the different positons of the minor scale and the pentatonic(I know this already)literally all over the neck.  I didn't get the minor scales and how they link to one another.  I kept on looking at Justin's vid on the 5 positions and it didn't really help matters.  I never realized that you can do the minor scale going forward on the neck but when you reverse it you have to go to the next higher string and then start the rest of the scale from there.  So many little complexities when doing this that you have to know. 

BTW Here's a backing track that I'm using.  I'm using the G major scale and the E minor scale.  Lots of endless possibilities!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emoodho4Zrs

This backing track is slow and gives you a bit of time to think on your feet.  It's an awesome track and very inspirational to play to.  I really love it!!

steveo2

« Reply #1123 on: December 18, 2010, 03:27:16 pm »
I'm learning how to link all the different positons of the minor scale and the pentatonic(I know this already)literally all over the neck.  I didn't get the minor scales and how they link to one another.  I kept on looking at Justin's vid on the 5 positions and it didn't really help matters.  I never realized that you can do the minor scale going forward on the neck but when you reverse it you have to go to the next higher string and then start the rest of the scale from there.  So many little complexities when doing this that you have to know. 

BTW Here's a backing track that I'm using.  I'm using the G major scale and the E minor scale.  Lots of endless possibilities!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emoodho4Zrs

This backing track is slow and gives you a bit of time to think on your feet.  It's an awesome track and very inspirational to play to.  I really love it!!
Hi Licks
These position your talking about do not make sense to me, if your get someone to to show you the chord within the scales this is the only learn way to get it.
I have been talking with you about this a year and after years a person could learn the connection of patterns without knowing the chord.
It 5 chords 10 if you include the Minor and 15 with the Dominate.

I would also look for netter backing tracks, this one is a peaceful thing with any rhythm structure you will get major timing problems by playing with tracks like this .

I may use this track to help me relax before bed but it is not a track with structure , just a wash of strings and reverb ;D

as always the best to you and yours.
I posted the minor scale Christmas song for you, kind of sad you did not learn it ;D
You could try silent night but that is the major scale,

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1124 on: December 18, 2010, 04:14:14 pm »
I haven't been doing this for a year and only started this stuff in September 2010 with my new teacher.  Do the math?  Not to be snotty.  It really hasn't been this long.  5 months!  Sometimes it takes certain people longer.  I happen to be one of those people.  We are not all Einsteins!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App