Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2010  (Read 2805 times)

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
Re: So, what are you learning now? 2010
« Reply #1050 on: November 17, 2010, 06:48:45 am »
I'm trying to learn how to improvise more but struggling, I put a comment in the link below but I dont think it gets visited regularly so I figured I'd try here as it's still "learning" ...... if any of the Mods want to remove it that's okay, just thought I'd ask ...

http://justinguitarcommunity.com/?topic=18400.0

Any advice welcome ......

No worries Lem I'm havin' those probs too!  I'm using the minor scale to improvise with and the key I think to learning any scale is to find out where the root notes are for starters and trying to remember the damned scale shapes.  I don't know why but the pentatonic scale is like child's play for me.  Damn I can't remember those stupid minor scales like I can the pentatonic.  I wish I had a memory chip that I could install in my brain.  My teacher tonight told me not to over analyze things and just keep on practicing.  He knows me by now!  I worry over everything that I'm not doing correctly.  What scales are you wanting to play in? I'm sure that Steveo will come along soon and tell you about the benefits of learning the major scale!  I would definitely take a look at David's suggestions.  David has been a great source of help to me and has never steered me wrong.  So have a look see!
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline Lemming

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #1051 on: November 17, 2010, 12:21:54 pm »
Lol, Licks, Steveo may be along soon to help but I can never understand what he's putting & usually have a headache by the time I've figured it out  :D

I had a look at what David said & have gone through some of the vids, I reckon he's right but wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions as well, however, I reckon it's time to bite the bullet & order the Lead Blues course ........ watch this space !!

(any other suggestions meantime still welcome .... )  ;)
www.lemming750.co.uk
www.theuniononline.com/
www.myspace.com/glamalice

My Gear:.......
Hohner Strat copy;Aria Les Paul Copy; Applause Electro Acoustic; Novanex 50W amp; Roland Microcube; Tony iommi's Pre-amp !!

Offline David V

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #1052 on: November 17, 2010, 01:35:31 pm »
I guess I'll just add that ultimately you'll want to try working out solos in the styles you want to play and see what moves others are using.  That can be hard and a bit discouraging though if you don't have some idea of common techniques and licks.  So far the blues course has been a good thing for me because the concepts (what scales to use when etc..) are relatively simple.  Even a lot of the greats use mostly just the minor pentatonic/blues scale.

But after having done a fair bit of work on blues, I've gone back and been able to work out some major scale type solos that I couldn't before.  I think that even if you're not planning to play blues in the end, the blues course could be very useful to you.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1053 on: November 17, 2010, 02:08:43 pm »
I'm mucking around with single note lines and I learned I Know What I Want by Taylor Swift. It's not much interesting, but I like the fact that it's in drop-D tning.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1054 on: November 17, 2010, 02:52:12 pm »
I guess I'll just add that ultimately you'll want to try working out solos in the styles you want to play and see what moves others are using.  That can be hard and a bit discouraging though if you don't have some idea of common techniques and licks.  So  I think that even if you're not planning to play blues in the end, the blues course could be very useful to you.

!00% right IMHO  It will give you a lot of useful insight on exactly what's going on.  I was thinking of ordering this to.  Solo work is really hard but it's helps if you have knowledge as to how to figure this stuff out. 

P.S.  My teacher has been playing for 35 years and he said to me that he has so much more to learn.  I felt like saying that your such an excellent player, you have toured the world with your band like can't you be happy with what you know.  I should of said this but didn't.
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

steveo2

« Reply #1055 on: November 17, 2010, 04:21:19 pm »
Yeah
The major scale is the way.
You would need to understand this scale to understand about any thing I say, cause everything I know is base on this scale.
think of it in steps.
W W H W W W H.
Each person brain will learn in a different way I am close to being able to write it so simple if you did not understand it you would need to be checked for a learning dis-ability.
I am a simple man,think simple.
Hope all here gets this scale, playing it in chords is the best way to understand it and just playing melodies will teach you more than playing hour of endless boring scales.
Always let your ear guild you.
 ;D 

flyhead

« Reply #1056 on: November 17, 2010, 04:58:01 pm »
Always let your ear guild you.
I need to use a Black & Decker to erase some rather disturbing images from my mind's eye.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1057 on: November 17, 2010, 06:23:07 pm »
Try some acid or alkaline of some sorts, too. :P
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1058 on: November 17, 2010, 10:35:16 pm »
Hey does anyone have any tips or tricks to remembering the stupid root notes for the 5 different scale positons for the minor scale?  I really understand the concept well it's just the stupid memory part of it along with remembering everything else there is to remember.  Feeling a bit overwhelmed.  :'(

Need to get fluidity to my solos and if I can't remember where shape they are then it's gets frustrating.  I don't see the E shape or whatever other shapes there are to them. 

and no...............I'm not embracing the suck!!! :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:53:33 am by licksnkicks »

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #1059 on: November 17, 2010, 11:02:59 pm »
Lemming,

first off, if you have a backing track that is 4 minutes long. Very few people can just start jamming over that and keep it really interesting for the entire time. So if it's a 12 bar blues, just think about taking a solo for 12 bars and not 4 minutes.

The easiest way to start your improv is with few notes that hang out on the root note a lot. So in a 12 bar I IV V you will have 4 bars one chord. In A that would be A C# E and G if you are playing an A7. So try to get some sort of groove / phrase going with those notes. then when it changes to D7 maybe try a lick or two out of your A Min Pent box but try to make it tie into whatever you developed in the prior 4 bars. When it goes back to the A7 you could stay with the Min Pent or go back to strict chord tones. For the final 4 bars you could go Min Pent again and/or use a turn around.

If you do that without going overboard the first 12 bars, then the next 12 you could play some rhythm stabs and a couple simple licks. the next 12 you could expand on your ideas.  Again if you intend to do that for 4 minutes and keep it varied and interesting, that is a tall order.

Gone

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #1060 on: November 18, 2010, 06:45:14 am »
Licks-

Root positions are the same for the minors as they are for any other scale. You know where the root notes are in your open chords, right? Just imagine playing those same chords in a moveable barre chord and the roots are in the same places relative to your index finger..... if you imagine your index finger as the nut. Quite basically put, but imagining it that way helped me.

steveo2

« Reply #1061 on: November 18, 2010, 05:08:25 pm »
Licks-

Root positions are the same for the minors as they are for any other scale. You know where the root notes are in your open chords, right? Just imagine playing those same chords in a moveable barre chord and the roots are in the same places relative to your index finger..... if you imagine your index finger as the nut. Quite basically put, but imagining it that way helped me.
Yeah it's is 5 chords, trying to play the whole scale is not as important as just knowing the five shapes.
To me about the only chord that sounds funny moved an changed to the minor chord is C open.

Take an hour each day and work on the scale, also take about 5 or ten minute to log your progress, this work for guitar and about any thing you wish to learn ;D

Offline Lemming

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #1062 on: November 18, 2010, 05:59:15 pm »
Thanks Guys, there's a lot of helpful stuff there !! I also emailed Wish & Licks for advice, but the thing that really hit home is what both Wish & TB said, just cos the backing track is xx minutes long doesnt mean I have to solo for xx minutes !?!?

I know I need some structure to build on as everything I know is pretty much self taught or picked up from tabs (king of the intro's anyone ??), so like Wish said, I need to have a good foundation ....... also need to start recording or vidding myself to chart any progress .... I have a Boss Micro BR that I think is gonna get dug out ..... and, hang on, (tosses coin) .... yep, I'll be getting the course  ;)
www.lemming750.co.uk
www.theuniononline.com/
www.myspace.com/glamalice

My Gear:.......
Hohner Strat copy;Aria Les Paul Copy; Applause Electro Acoustic; Novanex 50W amp; Roland Microcube; Tony iommi's Pre-amp !!

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1063 on: November 18, 2010, 08:42:06 pm »
Licks-

I get it but if I want to play a minor chord in the Em scale could I also play an inverted minor chord on the B and high E strings.  Not sure about this.  So far I'm playing the 3 4 and 5th position of the minor scale.  I'm emphasizing the 1, 4 and the 7 degree of the scale
E A and D but it's not sharp.  It should be because there is a D# in the Em scale.Don't get that!   Or should I stick to the 1 4 5 of the scale? 

Offline Wishbone

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
  • Scouse B'Stard
« Reply #1064 on: November 18, 2010, 08:57:54 pm »
Licks-

The E Harmonic Minor scale has a D# (natural 7). The E Natural Minor scale (Aeolian.... or that based off the 6th degree of the Major scale) has the D (b7).

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1065 on: November 18, 2010, 09:41:50 pm »
Licks-

The E Harmonic Minor scale has a D# (natural 7). The E Natural Minor scale (Aeolian.... or that based off the 6th degree of the Major scale) has the D (b7).

Okay that makes total sense following the wwhwwwh theory!

Thanks WB!  Always to my rescue.  Your such a sweet heart <3!!

Offline zkash_guitarist

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #1066 on: November 20, 2010, 12:51:14 pm »
  100 pages. Awesome! Back on topic:
  Starting to learn Manic Depression by Jimi Hendrix(if you didn't already know that ;))! :)
Check out my roadcase.

steveo2

« Reply #1067 on: November 20, 2010, 02:34:58 pm »
  100 pages. Awesome! Back on topic:
  Starting to learn Manic Depression by Jimi Hendrix(if you didn't already know that ;))! :)
Look like some is gaining experience , nothing like experience.
If he live h would have sounded like Eric Johnson and maybe a dozen or more player for soul , srv is very close and stole some of his licks too.
Good luck

lorezolutions

« Reply #1068 on: November 22, 2010, 04:18:17 pm »
this weekend I spent some time working out the riffs to smokestack lightening and 20th Century Boy.

Add to that working thought the riffs from the blues lead course and the backing track.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1069 on: November 22, 2010, 04:24:35 pm »
I'm messing around with improvisation... with still no scales practised.
Just, playing notes, watching what I do, trying to work into my mind which intervals go where (having a lot of trouble with the G-B/3rd-2nd string transition).
Production and mixing

steveo2

« Reply #1070 on: November 22, 2010, 04:38:10 pm »
I'm messing around with improvisation... with still no scales practised.
Just, playing notes, watching what I do, trying to work into my mind which intervals go where (having a lot of trouble with the G-B/3rd-2nd string transition).
I am a little lost, if you are playing single lines or even two notes you are playing some form of scale.
I have learned a really cool thing just playing the caged chords, I will post it soon and it came to me by trying to study a week or two ago.
it is long so it will take time.
I guess I have heard this in my head for years but can put in into words.
I am trying to show the chord and out use Justins chords chart as this is my thinking about this simple chords.
When play chords I have come up with cool stuff play the 1st and 2rd inversions of the chords sound like a lead but this is 3 and 4 note patterns.
Good luck Cue ;D

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1071 on: November 22, 2010, 07:13:31 pm »
'Playing some form of scale' is one thing, but I haven't practised scales specifically.
Production and mixing

Offline sid

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1072 on: November 22, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »
(having a lot of trouble with the G-B/3rd-2nd string transition).

You're not alone on that one! I still keep getting confused at times with that. :P

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1073 on: November 22, 2010, 08:01:28 pm »
I know the pattern (kind-of) just repeats, I just forget that that transition is there.
I need a mandolin quickly. :P
Production and mixing

Offline knighty 1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1074 on: November 22, 2010, 10:32:14 pm »

Having been on here for a couple of years and making sure i've got all the begginers course down ,i've started with justins solo blues course.
 My father died at the weekend and i really want to get into it,so i've started with the solo blues 1 and am learning the free giving from justin first, its got a great feel and i can see myself spending hours on it,it'll take my mind of everything  :'(

Get The Forum As A Mobile App