Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2010  (Read 3266 times)

steveo2

Re: So, what are you learning now? 2010
« Reply #1025 on: November 05, 2010, 06:30:33 pm »
I am not sure of this muted string It probably is muted I know I mute it sometimes.

I think muting it and also playing the high g sounds good. Just a little happier going to the Am.

Indeed, I add like D on the B string so much I don't even know I am doing it.
I do hear what your saying so true, I have notice this before also removing the B   A string from for the G chord I do this often as well.
May be the same reason just seems to work, I thought is was because the song needed it removed, but it may be that it makes it more happy sounding.
Thanks again

flyhead

« Reply #1026 on: November 05, 2010, 09:55:24 pm »
Just learnt 'Happy Birthday' on the ukelele. A pal has a birthday party tomorrow and I need to freak him out with some koa madness.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1027 on: November 05, 2010, 10:26:20 pm »
I love koa. I want a Taylor 714ce-LTD Koa. Sadly it'll be nowhere to be found by the time I have the cash. I'd better get a Lowden F35C K(oa)/C(edar) right away by that time. :P
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

steveo2

« Reply #1028 on: November 05, 2010, 10:59:11 pm »
Just learnt 'Happy Birthday' on the ukelele. A pal has a birthday party tomorrow and I need to freak him out with some koa madness.
Cool when you play it backwards it may mean something bad,
Birthdays are cool have a blast, it's funny the more birthdays I get the more I want another.
Happy birthday a cool interval learning song as well start with a major second  :)

flyhead

« Reply #1029 on: November 05, 2010, 11:14:56 pm »
Happy birthday a cool interval learning song as well start with a major second  :)
I play the death-metal version on my uke and always start with a tritone.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1030 on: November 05, 2010, 11:32:44 pm »
Tritones are awesome.
Production and mixing

steveo2

« Reply #1031 on: November 05, 2010, 11:33:06 pm »
I play the death-metal version on my uke and always start with a tritone.
Now I know it would sound evil backwards but in death metal that maybe the tone you want evil tone ;D

I did not know KOA was not going to be around.
I have played some that looked pretty but I was not crazy about the tone , about the same with any guitar and any wood.

I have played many maple Taylors I think they were 700 series they all sounded good and maple being so stable a wood, I bet they get a little louder when they age, I have played some old J 200 Gibson and they sounded good.
I am not even sure of what Koa is but I have some the look of that wood maybe not the same but close all over Asia.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1032 on: November 05, 2010, 11:38:00 pm »
Koa? Well what do you want, it only grows on the island of Hawaii, and only above 1500 ft. or so. Bob Taylor also said Koa is such an unpredictable wood, and it could be that just one out of a hundred pieces of it are actually suitable for building a guitar (or uke for that matter) with.

The maple Taylors are the 600 series, btw. I think they make great stage guitars. 700 series are rosewood back and sides with cedar tops. I personally like the 714ce-LTD koa quite a lot.
As far as I can remember all the rosewoods (dalbergia) are more stable from log to log, less so with mahogany apparently.
Production and mixing

steveo2

« Reply #1033 on: November 06, 2010, 07:57:39 pm »
Koa? Well what do you want, it only grows on the island of Hawaii, and only above 1500 ft. or so. Bob Taylor also said Koa is such an unpredictable wood, and it could be that just one out of a hundred pieces of it are actually suitable for building a guitar (or uke for that matter) with.

The maple Taylors are the 600 series, btw. I think they make great stage guitars. 700 series are rosewood back and sides with cedar tops. I personally like the 714ce-LTD koa quite a lot.
As far as I can remember all the rosewoods (dalbergia) are more stable from log to log, less so with mahogany apparently.
I do know where we call Koa comes from,they have made Uke's from this wood a long time.
I think maybe the tree is a smaller tree I am guessing.
Do know hard wood is sold buy the log, at some point the board foot come into play.
I know my mahogany guitar is the most stable even sounding guitar I have ever heard or play in all my years, but I have heard all kind of bad story's of a bad log .
A big log now that a good log and a great song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otp4N38ABC0
 ;D

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1034 on: November 06, 2010, 08:26:27 pm »
Apparently the quality of mahogany has gone down over the years. I read a discussion a while ago about mahogany and rosewood. It was stated that rosewood sounds pretty contstant over various pieces of wood, but that mahogany can vary alot. The main question was if mahogany could sound like rosewood or vice versa. Somebody said that rosewood could never sound like mahogany, as it is pretty consistent. Mahogany can vary so much that it can actually sound close to a rosewood.
Production and mixing

steveo2

« Reply #1035 on: November 06, 2010, 11:12:05 pm »
Apparently the quality of mahogany has gone down over the years. I read a discussion a while ago about mahogany and rosewood. It was stated that rosewood sounds pretty contstant over various pieces of wood, but that mahogany can vary alot. The main question was if mahogany could sound like rosewood or vice versa. Somebody said that rosewood could never sound like mahogany, as it is pretty consistent. Mahogany can vary so much that it can actually sound close to a rosewood.
Yeah I would agree,  still say the I have never heard a Mahogany guitar sound like a rosewood but it is possible,I bet it's wood be louder than the rosewood and lighter too.
  My Mahogany made of old wood, I bet some maker some where has a stash of some good old wood.
I would think it will cost you.

Big Log still a cool song

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1036 on: November 07, 2010, 12:40:19 am »
Yeah indeed, rosewood is heavy and quieter and less midrangey than mahogany. I think for recording I would prefer mahogany over rosewood. Maple is great too, but I've only found it to sound useful in an Eastman. :D
Production and mixing

steveo2

« Reply #1037 on: November 07, 2010, 03:12:48 am »
All the notes that sound good over an A CHORD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EqIOUsg6M

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1038 on: November 07, 2010, 03:34:21 pm »
And, what notes ound good over an Ammaj6-9#5b11?

:P
Production and mixing

steveo2

« Reply #1039 on: November 07, 2010, 03:52:24 pm »
And, what notes ound good over an Ammaj6-9#5b11?

:P
I see a ? MARK.
All the notes of the major scale will work  if you watch the clip you see many chromatic notes sound pretty good.
12 notes and there is a little piece of A in every note which one you chose is really up to you.
He guy is good not many people see him.

Offline routerbooter

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1040 on: November 08, 2010, 12:40:44 am »
Just started transcribing Texas Flood, and wow!!!  What a great song to a) improve your string bending, and b) to give a seemingly inexhaustable number of minor pentatonic licks to add to your arsenal.  Only thing is, don't try and practice its in standard tuning - tune down to e flat, firstly and obviously, because the original song is in e flat, but also there are SO many bends on the high e string pretty high up the neck - using G minor pent, mostly pos 1 and 2 - that I snapped 2 high e strings within a week, before realising that the poor little string couldn't handle the abuse of the extra tension.  I'm using 10s though - if you're brave enough to try the song with 11s or 12s then you might not have that problem, but good luck to you!!

Offline caseyrh43

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1041 on: November 08, 2010, 02:42:45 am »
Just started transcribing Texas Flood, and wow!!!  What a great song to a) improve your string bending, and b) to give a seemingly inexhaustable number of minor pentatonic licks to add to your arsenal.  Only thing is, don't try and practice its in standard tuning - tune down to e flat, firstly and obviously, because the original song is in e flat, but also there are SO many bends on the high e string pretty high up the neck - using G minor pent, mostly pos 1 and 2 - that I snapped 2 high e strings within a week, before realising that the poor little string couldn't handle the abuse of the extra tension.  I'm using 10s though - if you're brave enough to try the song with 11s or 12s then you might not have that problem, but good luck to you!!

SRV used 12's lol
"The day that I die will be the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar"- Sublime, (Same in the end)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1042 on: November 08, 2010, 11:49:57 am »
I actually finished transcribing Just South of Knowing Why and Closest to a Cowboy.
x)
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1043 on: November 09, 2010, 02:14:46 pm »
Practicing going from a power chord to an open chord.   Sounds extremely easy but it isn't!
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1044 on: November 09, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »
I use powerchords as open chords... xD
Production and mixing

steveo2

« Reply #1045 on: November 09, 2010, 06:05:44 pm »
Wow
I never had too learn the song Texas flood but I can play every instrument in it.
I love SRV but I knew that song way before SRV wrote it, it was a shuffle and I had played that time signature before.
I use 9 s for my E , if the blues is all you play and your hands are in good shape the bigger the string the better.

I have just been playing and note learning much new, In Blues I have found some very cool chromatic type stuff.
Most blues is the Minor pentatonic if you add the b5 or flat 5 you will get the blues.
I would say 99.9 % or high 90 stay with in this two scales .

Country music and some cool SRV licks use the Major and Minor pentatonic scale together as well as a host of chromatic stuff

Rock on

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1046 on: November 10, 2010, 06:23:25 am »
Made up my very own blues song in Am.  My teacher added some notes to it to make it sound complete and WOW I'm totally in love with what my two hands and brain has created.  I came back from my lesson totally stoked and with a rapid heart beat.  How exciting this adventure still is!
I'm rocking to the beat of my own drummer.  It doesn't get better than this!
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

steveo2

« Reply #1047 on: November 10, 2010, 04:11:54 pm »
Made up my very own blues song in Am.  My teacher added some notes to it to make it sound complete and WOW I'm totally in love with what my two hands and brain has created.  I came back from my lesson totally stoked and with a rapid heart beat.  How exciting this adventure still is!
I'm rocking to the beat of my own drummer.  It doesn't get better than this!
Wish I new how to post, when playing the blues I have come up with some very cool licks using the blues scale, you basically add the b 5th but you can raise the 5th or sharpen it this give you so many more notes and will change your playing.
The Dorian mode hold some cool note as well for the blues all thes note will sound bad if you stay on them so there not note to stay on they just another favor or color to the mix.

It is very cool to play bare chords and let the open string like B and E strings ring.
E form and A form chords, good droning

Offline Lemming

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #1048 on: November 16, 2010, 12:14:01 pm »
I'm trying to learn how to improvise more but struggling, I put a comment in the link below but I dont think it gets visited regularly so I figured I'd try here as it's still "learning" ...... if any of the Mods want to remove it that's okay, just thought I'd ask ...

http://justinguitarcommunity.com/?topic=18400.0

Any advice welcome ......
www.lemming750.co.uk
www.theuniononline.com/
www.myspace.com/glamalice

My Gear:.......
Hohner Strat copy;Aria Les Paul Copy; Applause Electro Acoustic; Novanex 50W amp; Roland Microcube; Tony iommi's Pre-amp !!

Offline David V

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #1049 on: November 16, 2010, 01:18:42 pm »
Have you taken a look at Justin's Lead Blues course?  It is excellent.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App