Author Topic: So, what are you learning now? 2010  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Re: So, what are you learning now? 2010
« Reply #1000 on: November 01, 2010, 05:00:13 pm »
Ok, so this is the stuff I've been working on lately. I picked all of these because I like them all a lot, can sing them all reasonably well, and each one of them has something tricky I'm trying to work on.

Take It Easy, The Eagles (accoustic rhythm). I picked this because of the chord changes on the & before the 1 instead of the 1.

Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morrison (accoustic rhythm + intro ). Picked it to try to learn the intro. I wish Justin would do a lesson on this intro. I find it to be deceptively hard. :( It looks really easy, but I don't know how I should be fingering it or really how I should be strumming/picking the two note "chords" in the intro. Right now I'm cheating it and only playing the high note of the two-note chords. It sounds ok.

A Pirate Looks At Forty, Jack Johnson version (accoustic fingerstyle). I picked the JJ version because it seems simpler. This is my first real attempt, beyond noodling, to learn a fingerstyle song. The progression is easy, I found the tab on-line, and the motion is very repetative, so it seems like a good way to start.

PS. All you guys are intimidating.

Insert humorous signature here.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1001 on: November 01, 2010, 05:05:33 pm »
So I looked up the BPM for Sweet Home Alabama and am getting too wide a variance on the beat.  Anywhere for 88 to 135 BPM.  That's just nuts.  Does anybody know what it is?  I know it's standard 4/4 timing.
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

steveo2

« Reply #1002 on: November 01, 2010, 05:48:53 pm »
Ok, so this is the stuff I've been working on lately. I picked all of these because I like them all a lot, can sing them all reasonably well, and each one of them has something tricky I'm trying to work on.

Take It Easy, The Eagles (accoustic rhythm). I picked this because of the chord changes on the & before the 1 instead of the 1.

Brown Eyed Girl, Van Morrison (accoustic rhythm + intro ). Picked it to try to learn the intro. I wish Justin would do a lesson on this intro. I find it to be deceptively hard. :( It looks really easy, but I don't know how I should be fingering it or really how I should be strumming/picking the two note "chords" in the intro. Right now I'm cheating it and only playing the high note of the two-note chords. It sounds ok.

A Pirate Looks At Forty, Jack Johnson version (accoustic fingerstyle). I picked the JJ version because it seems simpler. This is my first real attempt, beyond noodling, to learn a fingerstyle song. The progression is easy, I found the tab on-line, and the motion is very repetative, so it seems like a good way to start.

Well Eagle mat favorite band play and sing about all of there stuff , keep it up and you will get it.
You really should practice and learn interval.
The intro to brown eyed girl very simple try a G chord E shape 3 fret then a 6th interval will help you it is 3 chord.
G C G D .
Yeah I am going to have to say a pirate looks at 40 is my theme song.
It is easy to get intimidated, please remember this is a note , unless your PC has a bomb in it your going to be fine.
Justin has new lesson I think there call aural lesson, I did not think it was going to be as good as it was but they turned out really good, everyone who has to use tab should really spend a little time working on this only a few minute a day maybe 15 and you will be good.
Sorry if I make any one feel bad, I tell the truth and the truth hurts or it sets you free.
It is your choice I would let what hurt's to bad go and fly freely myself . ;D :D ;)

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1003 on: November 01, 2010, 06:58:18 pm »
Cue where you have that Bm try playing this instead.

X
O
O
X

That's G Major inversion with a B in the bass note.

Then watch the video at about 2:09

Cool, thanks! But then where/what's that minor sound I'm hearing around that time as well?
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion
Production and mixing

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1004 on: November 01, 2010, 07:32:52 pm »

Why do you say that?  I think this is a pretty friendly non-intimidating community forum!!
Boss Katana 1X12 100W Vox DA5 CL amp, Gibson SG Standard, Parker Nitefly electric/accoustic guitar,  Parker P-38 SA electric/accoustic guitar,  Academy electric custom guitar,  0 tolerance 4 stupidity

Offline Borodog

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #1005 on: November 01, 2010, 08:13:25 pm »

Why do you say that?  I think this is a pretty friendly non-intimidating community forum!!

I meant playing wise. I look at the videos getting posted and I feel like that if I post something, it will undoubtably be the worst thing posted any given week. ;)

Take that Cue Zephyr kid, for example. What is that kid, 14 years old? His playing on Fire and Rain was great.

The mountain looks awfully high when you are standing at the foot is all I am saying . . .

Stevo, are you saying the Brown Eyed Girl intro uses triad chords and not diad chords?

Insert humorous signature here.

steveo2

« Reply #1006 on: November 01, 2010, 09:26:09 pm »
Yeah
Dog the E B G and D string have some cool triad chord shape in them so I am say to play the part of the Brown eye girl song look at these it's like sliding and F shape bare chord around then you can get thos 6th with the D shape just sliding note.
I think cue is older than 14 and his playing has improved guess it's call practice.
You can do it  ;D

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #1007 on: November 01, 2010, 09:45:25 pm »
Cool, thanks! But then where/what's that minor sound I'm hearing around that time as well?

Actually the more I listen... try this.

O
X -- muted with middle finger sort of laying over
X

Play that followed by Am. Then play a Bm followed by Am. Tthe Bm should now sound dissonant in comparison.

Gone

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1008 on: November 01, 2010, 09:46:07 pm »

Why do you say that?  I think this is a pretty friendly non-intimidating community forum!!

I meant playing wise. I look at the videos getting posted and I feel like that if I post something, it will undoubtably be the worst thing posted any given week. ;)

Take that Cue Zephyr kid, for example. What is that kid, 14 years old? His playing on Fire and Rain was great.

The mountain looks awfully high when you are standing at the foot is all I am saying . . .

Stevo, are you saying the Brown Eyed Girl intro uses triad chords and not diad chords?

*shies away and quietly says "thank you very much"*

:D
Production and mixing

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #1009 on: November 01, 2010, 09:59:03 pm »
O
X

or; when playing without a pick; grab a regular Gmaj and let fingers 3-2-1 pick that 3 3 0 ... your thumb you can use to pick that 2
(that's how I would play it, as I hardly use a pick)
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1010 on: November 01, 2010, 10:18:09 pm »
Borodog we all have to start somewhere.  I see your point of what you say and it's scary at first but things will get better.  Just play, practice and have fun.  You will get there.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1011 on: November 01, 2010, 10:36:25 pm »
@ borodog

there have been some good vids lately no doubt

but there are also some vids of those same people in that thread going back in time when their skills were just developing too

go back in time to see your favourites and how they progressed

also
there are some vids of beginners just getting togrips with the basics

so don't be shy

we are a non-competitive, non-threatening, fully-supportive, mutually-encouraging group and will give the best comment and advice that we can based on what we see and hear

sometimes that is just well done, keep it up

sometimes that is very detailed in-depth analysis of technique

give it a go

:)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #1012 on: November 01, 2010, 10:38:01 pm »
ps

Cue Zephyr is old enough to vote and to participate in many other nefarious activities

:D

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1013 on: November 01, 2010, 10:43:35 pm »
TB,

That might be it then.

I apologize to Steveo.

Lieven,

I want to learn to flatpick, so Mr. Resident Wannabe-Fingerstylist will be using a pick this time! :D

c2u,

LOL. xD
Production and mixing

Offline caseyrh43

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1014 on: November 02, 2010, 03:50:34 am »
I have been learning the intro solo to one by metallica.
I am also getting a laptop in this week and I have my guitar port from my old computer so possibly some recordings and maybe even some video's.

I've also been thinking about learning Canon rock but the tab is just about 23 pages depending on the version, and I haven't decided whether I want to learn the Jerryc version or the Mattrach version. But at 23 pages I'm just considering something else lol.
"The day that I die will be the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar"- Sublime, (Same in the end)

steveo2

« Reply #1015 on: November 02, 2010, 04:56:07 pm »
Cue where you have that Bm try playing this instead.

X
O
O
X

That's G Major inversion with a B in the bass note.

Then watch the video at about 2:09

Cue there is no chord but C, A minor F and G.
I posted church street here as a tune to learn, I will suggest you stop watching a video and just listen.
There are no note other than note that are in C major and there is just 4 chords.
The hand is faster than the eye so use the ears , I listen to the break I think he is just playing  F and G at that time spot, could be wrong on that I am not wrong about the chords or notes played all C major.
The reason I say I am not sure is because you keep asking about a B minor which does not exists in this song.
TB has showed you the chord which I just wrote as G/B pages back but all I got was you hurt my feelings.
As I wrote most of the G chords that are fast are all open strings.

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 91
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #1016 on: November 02, 2010, 06:22:19 pm »
Alright, ignore my apology then.
+ I assume you are not familiar with the 'pause' function?

Brushing up on Ladies Night and Memories of the Future - think I will be performing bits of those songs for the audition for the talent show at school. I have 10 minutes - anything else I should stuff in those minutes?
Production and mixing

steveo2

« Reply #1017 on: November 02, 2010, 07:04:53 pm »

O
X

Play that followed by Am. Then play a Bm followed by Am. Tthe Bm should now sound dissonant in comparison.

I have played this song over 20 year and a half dozen times today/
there a capo so where really in E flat and you are right in saying that B minor and A minor go together in key of G or Capo that would be B b.

There is no B minor in this song and saying a G chord with a B note in the bass don't make it so, yes you could look at the notes and I agree the tones are close but where still talk A G major with a b as the bass note and add the B string note, it's still major to my ears.

My brains too.
I can play a G 7th chord and take the bass note out it is a B minor7th b 5 and as I move the shape around I am sure it really become different chords, even to my ear it is a new or another chord it is my brain that says it's just a 7th chord, thanks G sus I can hear and just throw away the stuff the make me think to much.
All the thinking can mess you up, I prefer feeling over thinking, guess that's why I am simple minded, but even a simple mind can tell a major from a minor chord.
We are talking a bluegrass song too , just don't hear a B minor there it's a G with spice, if you hearing a B minor make your brain stop,
 that it is confusing a minor and a major chord sound different.
Very Different, close your eyes and play both a G chord and them play a B minor if you hear the same thing, stop what you are doing and close your eyes again.
Repeat this over and over till you can hear a difference in these chords.

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1018 on: November 03, 2010, 05:18:10 am »
I'm learning Rocking in the free world by Neil Young.  This is in the key of Em and it's fairly easy.  My teacher gave me this song to learn because I was getting so frustrated with the last part of the You shook me all night long solo.  I'm having trouble with it.  It's a little more advanced for me but I will nail the sucker to the wall!  I'm having so much damned fun doing the Neil Young tune that when I went back and tried the AC/DC solo I did so much better.  I think it's the confidence that was given to me by playing Neil's song.  I even managed to come up with a nice little Am bluesy chord progression that develops into a really nice jazzed out minor pentatonic solo.  Here I was getting so bummed out over the solo that I forgot to rock out and let my hair loose.  Now I'm feeling so much better and my confidence is back to where it should be.  The excitement is back and I'm feeling it!

I'm feeling the urge to buy another guitar.  A red one.  Too many to choose from.  My son bought me a buyers catalogue. 
I'm really starting to like the shape of the flying V.  Dave Mustaine's VMNT Angel of Deth is my fav flying V so far. It's $1800 though.  Maybe Christmas.

Offline caseyrh43

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #1019 on: November 03, 2010, 05:30:05 am »
Flying V's are sick, but I LOVE the gibson V's, I want either a wood grain or a white one. And confidence is key. You have to KNOW you're going to nail it. :D
"The day that I die will be the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar"- Sublime, (Same in the end)

steveo2

« Reply #1020 on: November 03, 2010, 03:45:19 pm »
Alright, ignore my apology then.
+ I assume you are not familiar with the 'pause' function?

Brushing up on Ladies Night and Memories of the Future - think I will be performing bits of those songs for the audition for the talent show at school. I have 10 minutes - anything else I should stuff in those minutes?
I did not see you Cue even the letter i just wrote is gone and it was funny and had some advise on bluegrass my train of thought is gone now.
I do not get mad a people even when they say bad things.
TB always gave me good advise I see he is human now and can make a mistake, no B minor in that sweet tune.
I miss the link of the JT song, Cue I have ask you ???? and not got answers.
so I am not the only person who can miss things, Human.
I have played Church street so many times in the last few days.
Blue grass in about feeling more than speed ,more than thinking in fact take just what it is Timing and feeling and always playing it the easiest way, which is the way I look at songs.

I will ave too come back to this.
Lick drop the pick and thump the G C and D chord just the Big strings get the timing right for the AC/DC song.
I had a flying V Gibson I got it long ago , yeah I sold it.
I think I would go with the Gibson I would hurt myself with a Jackson or hurt some else by accident.
I liked  putting the V on my hip and burning the neck up. ;D

Offline licksnkicks

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #1021 on: November 04, 2010, 02:56:53 am »
Having a blast making up my own solo in Em for Rockin' in the free world.  I saw Neil do this solo on Youtube with Pearl Jam and it looks like the poor guy is having an epileptic fit.  He's incredible but the busta moves look so disjointed.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #1022 on: November 05, 2010, 01:21:06 pm »
@steveo2

TB always gave me good advise I see he is human now and can make a mistake, no B minor in that sweet tune.

I never said there was a Bm in there. I said it was a B/G same as you. I even pointed out the place in the video which clearly showed him playing that chord. He plays B/G to Am.

Gone

steveo2

« Reply #1023 on: November 05, 2010, 03:31:53 pm »
@steveo2

I never said there was a Bm in there. I said it was a B/G same as you. I even pointed out the place in the video which clearly showed him playing that chord. He plays B/G to Am.

TB man your the best , I wrote so much nice things about you in the letter that just went away.
You are a super caring guy who advise is always good, it was my Mistake I mis=read the reply I will post TB replay now.

O
X

Since there was no B minor and your first one I think is better only meaning I am not sure of this muted string It probably is muted I know I mute it sometimes.
I had some personal problem happening and just reading the words play B minor when I have been explaining this song for months made me insane for a second.
Human too.
As always TB is right, I messed up again.
Your advise is always helpful and is still right, but you are human.
A really good one too.
Thanks  :)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 331
« Reply #1024 on: November 05, 2010, 03:55:18 pm »
I am not sure of this muted string It probably is muted I know I mute it sometimes.

I think muting it and also playing the high g sounds good. Just a little happier going to the Am.

Gone

Get The Forum As A Mobile App