Author Topic: Looking for Advise on Acoustic Humidity  (Read 323 times)

Offline Bill0404

• Good Vibes 0
Looking for Advise on Acoustic Humidity
« on: February 01, 2021, 02:45:36 am »
Hi All,
My daughter and son in-law have music in their blood...lots of instruments.  They decided to depart with two acoustic guitars, a 6 & 12 string which I gladly accepted - I haven't played a guitar in many, many years.

Here's my issue (I think):  these guitars were in Massachusetts for years where the winters get awfully cold and the heat (dry air) in on frequently.  I brought the guitars back after my Christmas visit to my home in Southwest Florida - into much, much higher humidity.  The first signs for about the first week or two was that every time I tuned the guitars all open string notes were sharp. Recently the 12 string has developed buzzing on the open 6th string. It seems to me that the wood/neck is swelling but not sure.

Has anyone experienced something like this with acoustic guitars? Could it be the difference in relative humidity?  Any of you masters have advise?  I not moving back to Mass ;) - way to fricken cold.
Thanks a bunch,
Bill

Offline Hooked

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Older? Yes, wiser? Good question!
Re: Looking for Advise on Acoustic Humidity
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 03:15:42 am »
Hi All,
My daughter and son in-law have music in their blood...lots of instruments.  They decided to depart with two acoustic guitars, a 6 & 12 string which I gladly accepted - I haven't played a guitar in many, many years.

Here's my issue (I think):  these guitars were in Massachusetts for years where the winters get awfully cold and the heat (dry air) in on frequently.  I brought the guitars back after my Christmas visit to my home in Southwest Florida - into much, much higher humidity.  The first signs for about the first week or two was that every time I tuned the guitars all open string notes were sharp. Recently the 12 string has developed buzzing on the open 6th string. It seems to me that the wood/neck is swelling but not sure.

Has anyone experienced something like this with acoustic guitars? Could it be the difference in relative humidity?  Any of you masters have advise?  I not moving back to Mass ;) - way to fricken cold.
Thanks a bunch,
Bill
It could absolutely be a humidity issue. Find a good guitar tech /luthier and get it checked out. Could be relatively simple to adjust truss rod, maybe a little shaping of the bridge or filing a slot on the nut.

The only guy I know down there is Rob at rpjguitarworks.com up in Tallahassee,  he would likely know someone close to you.

Good luck!

Lou

Sent from my SM-T867V using Tapatalk

Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wire...

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 05:55:30 am »
Definitely to do with humidity but the good news is that it’s better to be in a humid environment than a dry one! They most likely need to be set up again, either by yourself if you have any experience of doing that or by a guitar tech (luthier) if you don’t. Once they’re set up they should be ok long term provided they don’t get dried out again.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Bill0404

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 03:46:04 pm »
Lou, Darrel,
Thanks for your responses and confirmation of my humidity issue.  Which may not be a bad thing after adjustments.  I'll check Justin's site on guitar maintenance and maybe make a couple of tweeks before they go to the Guitar Center.
Best,
Bill

Offline Hooked

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Older? Yes, wiser? Good question!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 03:49:32 pm »
Glad to help - one caution - Guitar Center techs can vary wildly in experience. I'd suggest looking for an independant guitar tech or small shop who will have local reviews. Just my $0.02 worth.
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wire...

Get The Forum As A Mobile App