Author Topic: 6/8 at 130bpm sounds WAY too fast? Android app  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Chicken_Nuggets

• Good Vibes 0
6/8 at 130bpm sounds WAY too fast? Android app
« on: January 31, 2021, 04:06:41 pm »

I'm trying to practice the 6/8 strumming from Lesson 6 and my metronome sounds super fast compared to what Justin's example in the video sounded like. Is there something I can change in the settings to chill it out?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 211
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: 6/8 at 130bpm sounds WAY too fast? Android app
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 04:38:57 pm »
Set your metronome to 65, that’s the 3/4 timing rather than 6/8, there’s often that problem people come up against I really don’t know why they do it!

Offline Chicken_Nuggets

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 06:57:10 pm »
Thanks! 65bpm sounds A LOT more playable.

I set it to 6/8 in the app (just saw how terrible the video is now) but 3/4 time sounds more like what it should when I tried it on another metronome app. Should I just use 3/4 instead? Or use 6/8 at a lower bpm? Are those basically the same? I'm trying to figure it out for House of the Rising Sun.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 211
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:31:04 pm »
I set it to 6/8 in the app (just saw how terrible the video is now) but 3/4 time sounds more like what it should when I tried it on another metronome app. Should I just use 3/4 instead? Or use 6/8 at a lower bpm? Are those basically the same? I'm trying to figure it out for House of the Rising Sun.
Watch this, it’s a great explanation that you might relate with:

Offline Jamolay

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 20
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 10:29:14 pm »
I am still struggling a bit with this.

I am learning “Norwegian Wood” and it is hard to be sure of the timing and how to set a metronome.

Justin’s song book doesn’t say the bpm.
Justin’s video suggests 60 bpm
The old app (which used to have the song) was 67 bpm.
Other sources say 90 bpm.

When I plug any of these numbers into the Time Trainer app on 6/8, they are all crazy fast.

When I listen to Justin play in the beginning of the video, or another person playing, it matches pretty close to setting the app when set at 45 in 6/8.

I haven’t tried the original yet, not sure I’ll be able to sort its timing in the app as there is a lot more going on.

Anyway, how do I set the timing in 6/8 on the metronome app? It doesn’t meet up with my reality. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 674
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 12:33:04 pm »
... my metronome sounds super fast  ...
The metronome is beeping six times per bar.
you do not want that.
You want two beeps per bar.
Keep reading.

Set your metronome to 65, that’s the 3/4 timing rather than 6/8 ...
That will be slower but 3/4 is not half of 6/8.
3/4 and 6/8 are totally different things and should not be mixed up together.
3/4 is three quarter beats with equal emphasis on all.
6/8 is six eighth beats with emphasis on 1 and 4. It sounds more like two consecutive dotter quarters. They are not the same even though the mathematical appearance suggests there may be an easy conversion.

That is because it is slower.
... Should I just use 3/4 instead?
NO
Or use 6/8 at a lower bpm?
YES
Are those basically the same?
NO

Watch this

I feel the need to chip in on this one in regard to the metronome and bpm

I have just written a similar explanation on 6/8 for You've Got To Hide Your Love Away here

3/4 bpms do not translate to 6/8 bpms.

6/8 is measured in eighths. There are six eighths per bar, so the beats being 'measured' are eighths. Not quarters.

However, if you set your metronome to beep on every one of those beats it will be crazy fast - manic and impossible to follow.

What you want is to be able to set the metronome to beep two times for every bar.
In 6/8 you need to think of the pulse as being on the 1 and the 4.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

You play on the 1 and the 4, the metronome beeps on the 1 and the 4.

To achieve this you need to know that the 1, 2, 3 in the first half of the bar is three eighths. This is equivalent to a dotted quarter. A dot increases duration by half so a dotted quarter = 1.5 x a quarter = 3 eighths.

The same goes for the 4, 5, 6

So each bar of 6/8 can be seen as two dotted quarters. And each one of those dotted quarters can then be called the 'beat'.

When setting bpm in 6/8 time, the notation is usually give as 'dotted quarter = xx bpm'

If you see a bpm for a song in 6/8 and it seems wrong then either it is given as beats on the eighths (look for a crazy big number about 200 or so) or it is given sloppily in quarter beats (this would be a number that seems reasonable but is actually too fast).

Get The Forum As A Mobile App