Author Topic: When to play  (Read 357 times)

Offline Radiantpaper

• Good Vibes 0
When to play
« on: January 29, 2021, 11:30:41 pm »
Hi all hope this is not stupid but when do I actually play the cord in time with the app. As I always feel out of sync. Any pointers would be good.

Offline rwoodlin

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Hands of brick
Re: When to play
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 11:30:59 am »
strum when the green line crosses the chord and pulses.
If you add the song to your playlist a number of prompts become available when you paly it.  One is the strumming pattern.
Regards,
Robert

Offline Radiantpaper

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 02:04:17 pm »
Thanks I get it now.

Offline Gregtf

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 02:34:33 am »
actually good question, it is not very clear if you start the strum on the the beat -does the App only show one beat per measure or are we suppose to fill in the gaps -also the App will show 2 consecutive chords in a row that are the same chord ? seems like every chord get the vertical bar and pulse but nothing to indicate strum?

Any insight would be great a more detailed tutorial from Justin would be awesome.

thanks

the anti spam is ridiculously cumbersome

Offline DaesyD

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 02:12:12 am »
As a beginner trying to strum four beats to the bar I have found it challenging to work out the right tempo.  When I inevitably get out of sync with the next chord, I'm forced to play catch up, the distraction then causes me to stuff up the lyrics, which then makes me miss the next chord change, which causes me to mangle my chords in panic, so I jam my fingers down on the strings to compensate and my fingers start hurting.   Yes I am a beginner and I know the answer is practice, practice, practice.

I have often thought it would be good if the App could indicate where to play strums 2, 3 and 4 to set the tempo.  The above posts triggered me to re watch Justin's video on the App which led me to reset the App percussion setting from Drums to Metronome.  Eureka, it goes click1, click2, click3 and click4, the tempo of the song.  Do a few bars of air strumming and your arm has the tempo. When playing I can barely hear the clicks, except when I get out of sync and I can then immediately adjust.  It has made the initial few plays of the songs so much easier for me.   Once I get comfortable with the song I can drop the metronome.

One slight catch to be aware of.  I found out when I put Hound Dog on the App, the metronome does six clicks.  In his video Justin definitively uses four strums but in the description it does state that the original is a 12 bar blues song which may have something to do with it.  All my other songs I am learning are four beats and four clicks so I can use the metronome setting for those.

As many have stated on this forum, for such a simple tool the metronome is a really versatile and useful learning tool.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App