Author Topic: Help with odd bridge  (Read 292 times)

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
Help with odd bridge
« on: January 25, 2021, 02:23:48 am »
I am trying to refurbish an old electric and have it mostly covered. My first try, so cheap guitar and low expectations. The part I am having trouble with is the bridge. I can’t even find a picture of a similar bridge after hours searching the nets.
Guitar is a Westone, I think a Challenger or variation on that. It has clearly been modified for this bridge as the body has been routed for it, but it doesn’t have any other mounting holes than the two, but those aren’t pins, just oval head screws.
The bridge only had two springs, and looks like some kind of locking bridge made to accept strings with ball ends. But I really can’t find anything anywhere similar. There is no nut lock mechanism either.
I was hoping just to reuse it, but am open to any advice. I could just scrap it and mount a fixed bridge. I don’t really need tremolo.

I couldn’t post picks directly, so they are at this Imgur link.
https://imgur.com/a/UzLdDNz

Thanks for any thoughts!
-josh

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Help with odd bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 04:41:53 am »
Here’s a link to a mine of information on Westone guitars, looks like it could be a Clipper maybe.
http://www.westoneguitars.net/guitars/clipper-series/
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 01:25:56 pm »
Thanks! The guitar is all part, so I can show a picture of it, but it has a fender style (cheap box) 5 way switch and one volume, one tone. HSS setup. The bridge is still different than those on the clipper and clearly the body has been modified for the bridge I have, so it isn’t the original anyway.
Definitely laminated, so not some special gem, just the Korean model. The guitar looks well enough, but the electronics were rough and the setup was terrible, with some evidence of lack of maintenance.
It has been played a lot though with some fret wear, but it is no youngster.

Offline Jamolay

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 02:14:39 am »
Well, no advice, so I just put it all together anyway. I think it is ok. I don’t really have any experience to compare it with.
I used the old bridge, replaced the electronics. Adjusted the truss rod, action and intonation (well, trying to) with new strings. I also adjusted the pickup height. It seems the worn frets aren’t bad enough yet, so that is nice.
Sounds ok!
Probably about as good as one can expect from a $30 guitar with another $30 of parts!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App