Author Topic: Should the lessons be taken one lesson at a time?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Blibble

• Good Vibes 0
Should the lessons be taken one lesson at a time?
« on: January 24, 2021, 09:54:03 pm »
Hi!

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before,

I've started about 4 hours ago trying to learn guitar again; I vaguely played around with it a few years ago but never really got going, so plan on doing things properly this time!

I've gone through videos BC-101 to BC-110, and have started practising the D-chord in video BC-111. I suck, but that's to be expected. My question is; is it recommended to be proficient at a D-chord before moving on to video BC-112 in a few weeks time, or is it better to work on 2 / 3 / 4 videos concurrently?

Thanks

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Should the lessons be taken one lesson at a time?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 10:20:48 pm »
It’s ok to try and learn the three main chords to start with E, A and D, when you can get these right there are literally 100’s of songs to play, which is the whole point of the course, learn songs..... learn songs...... etc.
Having fun and being able to play something that you and others recognise is so very rewarding.
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Offline adi_mrok

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 11:19:29 pm »
Hi and warm welcome to community. I always think there's nothing wrong to have a little sneak peak to see what future holds in the course however the more things you learn at once the slower progress you are going to make on each thing you learn. The more things you are going to learn at once the more frustrsted you might become and discouraged. I agree with Darrell, learn anything up to a point where you have chords A D and E under your fingers and don't push forward anymore. It's a long road so enjoy the ride ;)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 219
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 12:36:04 am »
Welcome to the forum Blibble. When you're ready to share your progress there's a special thread here https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=35538.0

Offline Blibble

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 06:56:09 am »
Morning all!

Very kind of you all, thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm working from home at the minute during the COVID-19 pandemic, so will take advantage of that and bring the guitar up to the makeshift office with me. I think I'll have another day or two at the D chord so I can remember the finger positioning, then start moving on to trying the A and E chords later in the week.

Thanks again

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 07:56:01 am »
Hi Blibble and welcome to the forum.
It looks like you have found the best place to learn guitar and find supportive guitar friends here.
:)

It also looks like you have dived into the Classic beginner course.
Many people used that successfully and have gone on to play.

Note though, Justin spent much of the last two years improving and making his entire lesson structure for beginners in the New beginner course here.
Can  Isuggest you jump on board with the new one as it is 'improved'.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App