Author Topic: Yamaha THR 10ii amp settings  (Read 2141 times)

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
Re: Yamaha THR 10ii amp settings
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 03:48:22 pm »
Helped!
The trick was, make a new track and set it up. Kind of weird you can't do that with the track that's already there, but whatever. Let's see if I can record something!

I don't know Cubase, but it's common on DAWs for there to be a "master bus". This isn't really a track, but is a place that tracks get summed (mixed) into.

Buses usually appear like tracks within the DAW, but they aren't the same as tracks and you can't assign inputs directly to them.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2021, 04:10:00 pm »
    link: https://soundcloud.com/user-882183777/test-2-07

Okay, so it's me more messing around with Cubase etc.. so don't expect some wonderful piece of music. It's also my first ever recording of me playing guitar.
But whatever. It's about the sound of the guitar now :-) Hope you guys can hear it!
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2021, 04:27:49 pm »
Well you got a recording which is the key thing. Sounded very clean. Nice and chimey like typical fender type sound to me. The volume seemed quite low but not sure whether that was you recording or output from the amp....you had a lot gain dialled in..Does the amp only have a master or does it have a channel volume as well? If you've got a channel volume as well I'd lift channel volume, reduce the gain and then raise the master get a more volume but retain the clean sound...try turning your Reverb up a bit as well...it looked quite low in your settings (increase mix).
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2021, 04:33:50 pm »
Its the exact settings as on page 1. Thanks for writing this all out!

I wanted to make a quick picture but no way to upload it quickly.

It has gain, volume and master.

Gain is around 13:00 o clock
Master on 09:00
Volume is 12 (but that’s output for speakers)

I have bass at 10:00, mid on 13:00 and treble also on 13
A bit of compressor on it and a bit of reverb.
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2021, 04:54:19 pm »
On the DAW there will be a way to boost the level of what you have recorded. Often you can click on the track and apply "Normalize". Otherwise you can use the DAW faders to increase the level.

Some DAWs will have a Normalize option when you export to an audio file.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2021, 02:33:38 pm »
Just found the Ibanez tube screamer mini

Can this be created with the Thr10 by playing with the effects or do we need pedals?

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2021, 02:47:03 pm »
The Tube Screamer is an overdrive which emphasises the mids so you might be able to approximate this by turning up the middle control and increase the gain on your amp. Personally I've not tried this myself.

Bear in mind one of the functions of pedals is to allow you to switch on/off settings easily whilst playing. Obviously you won't be able to do this if it involves twiddling knobs on the amp.

One of the main functions of the Tube Screamer, in particular, is to accentuate the mids when performing in a band. The idea of this is to help push the guitar to make it more prominent in the mix. If that is your aim (with backing tracks) then I suggest you experiment with the amp settings first.

If you really want to start messing with pedals either because you want to get into the rabbit-hole that is tone shaping, or because you want the ability to footswitch, then I would strongly suggest you start with a cheap multifx unit. This will give you a great introduction to a wide range of modelled pedals without the cost and hassle/complexity of individual pedals.

Zoom. Mooer, Boss, and others do suitable units you might want to look at.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 03:49:33 pm by Majik »

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2021, 02:51:05 pm »
I was for a second interested in a Helix 6, talking about rabbit holes 😂
But good point, let’s first go tone chasing on the amp!

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2021, 04:12:54 pm »
I was for a second interested in a Helix 6, talking about rabbit holes 😂

Personally, I would suggest starting with something less expensive. One of the Zoom or Boss pedals (e.g. GT-1) will give you loads of mileage for a couple of years or so of learning and experimenting.

The other option is to set the USB output to "dry" on your THR10 and experiment with PC-based modelling tools.

After that, if you want to spend lots of money on either a high-end multifx system, or a pedalboard and all of the paraphernalia required with individual pedals, then you will at least have an idea of what you want by then, and why.

As an aside, I would say for anyone who is on the Beginner Course track should probably not be exploring pedals too seriously: it's a distraction. If you can't get a good tone from a decent amp like the THR10, then it's basically because your playing sucks. Buying and messing with pedals isn't going to make you suck any less. Practising will.

Of course having a play for fun is OK.

At the Intermediate stage when you can play a bunch of songs competently (enough to perform, I would say) and understand how to use your amp, your guitar controls, and your fingers/pick to get tonal variances, that's probably when it's worth spending some time and money on this.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 04:59:41 pm by Majik »

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2021, 04:47:24 pm »
I think it’s fun to experiment with it but it def takes away from actual practicing.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App