Author Topic: Yamaha THR 10ii amp settings  (Read 1872 times)

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
Yamaha THR 10ii amp settings
« on: January 24, 2021, 04:40:04 pm »
Which one do you use?

Googled it but surprisingly little is found on the subject. There are lots of pre sets you can play with but perhaps some people found the greatest clean sound ever.
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Yamaha THR 10ii amp settings
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 05:01:21 pm »

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 05:10:17 pm »
I just switch mine to "Clean" and play with the Gain and EQ controls, depending on which guitar I'm using.

If I want something a little grittier, I put it to "Crunch" and wind the gain down.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 05:10:26 pm »
I have the manual but does not reallly say much about tones etc
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 05:11:00 pm »
I just switch mine to "Clean" and play with the Gain and EQ controls, depending on which guitar I'm using.

Cheers,

Keith

No SRV pre set for you?

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 05:18:01 pm »
Well, you said about clean tones.

Really, just like any amp, to get the best from it requires some experimentation. For instance, the other day I wanted a nice thick lead tone with a fair bit of sustain. The "Lead" setting wasn't doing it for me, so I tried the "Hi Gain" setting, but backed the gain control off a fair bit until it was more in line with what I wanted.

One point I should make: it is often said that "tone is in the fingers" and this has a lot of truth to it. The quality of the tones you get from an amp will very much depend on your playing technique.

I have amps that I had when I was a beginner and thought they were rubbish, but now I can play a lot better I've realized they are actually pretty good amps.

For example

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 05:18:45 pm »
OK
https://happybluesman.com/how-sound-like-stevie-ray-vaughan/
In essence you need fairly heavy gauge strings (.010 minimum recommended SRV played .013 - .056) a fairly high action, he really digs in with the pick so the strings need room to vibrate. A fairly clean Fender valve amp type tone boosted by an Ibanez tube screamer (or clone); the most of the rest is you and how you play.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 07:55:50 pm by DarrellW »

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 08:57:58 am »
OK
https://happybluesman.com/how-sound-like-stevie-ray-vaughan/
In essence you need fairly heavy gauge strings (.010 minimum recommended SRV played .013 - .056) a fairly high action, he really digs in with the pick so the strings need room to vibrate. A fairly clean Fender valve amp type tone boosted by an Ibanez tube screamer (or clone); the most of the rest is you and how you play.

What a great website ... hours of reading pleasure there!

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 11:30:09 am »
Got a pretty good tip on-line about playing around with the amp.

First tip was that playing around with the sounds is actually a part of the process of learning to become a guitarist. So it's not time wasted. Especially when I will be able to play more songs and styles this is going to be fun.
I also learned the THR10 might not be the best amp if you want to add pedals. So at some point I will need to buy myself a Fender blues junior (and a tele ;p).

A more practical tip was (specifically on THR10): Pick the neck pick up from the Stratocaster. Volume on guitar down to around 4. Put the amp on "lead". Then crank up the Gain and Master. You actually get a very nice clean sound like that.
If you want to "use" the amp "more", lower the output on the amp, cranck down the gain and master, and open the volume to 10 on the Strat.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 11:33:58 am »
The following may be useful. It's a "guess" of the amp models on the Yamaha THR series based on the setting and variation.

Note that this came from a post on Reddit. It's one person's guess, not an official list. As far as I know, Yamaha do not have an official list and do not officially claim that particular models sound like particular real-world amps. I believe the THR (like the Katana) is "its own amp" rather than trying to slavishly copy specific famous amp models (which I think is largely pointless anyway).

Anyway, this list may guide you if you are looking for something more specific. But, frankly, the best guide is your own ears.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 11:51:35 am »
First tip was that playing around with the sounds is actually a part of the process of learning to become a guitarist. So it's not time wasted. Especially when I will be able to play more songs and styles this is going to be fun.

Yes, yes yes!

Learning your amp (or how amps work and react to your guitar with different pickups and playing styles) is very much part of learning electric guitar. It is definitely not time wasted, as long as you don't head into a tone-chasing, amp-modelling rabbit-hole.

You are unlikely to do this on the THR as it isn't trying to emulate dozens of famous amps: there's a limited set of  basic amp tones on it, and the rest is down to learning how to use gain and EQ controls on those amps (which is much closer to how you traditionally have to learn this stuff on an analogue amp with only one or two voices). That's one of the reasons I like the THR.

And that gives you time to develop the other very important part of tone: learning to play, and learning how to make the guitar and amp work together to get the tone you want with pickup selection, tone controls, and playing technique.

And learning when you need pedals and when you can get away without them. For instance, if a specific tone is using a Tube Screamer and you want to get close to this tone, you may be able to get away with turning up the gain and tweak the EQ by increasing the mids.

I also learned the THR10 might not be the best amp if you want to add pedals.

It's not a bad amp for pedals. Dan Steinhardt from That Pedal Show uses a THR as a low-volume home practice amp and puts a pedal board in front of it. And to say he is pretty picky about these things would be a massive understatement.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with getting another amp for your attic, and using the THR downstairs.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 03:05:31 pm »
"Of course, there's nothing wrong with getting another amp for your attic, and using the THR downstairs."

In time :p

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 04:29:26 pm »
https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=THRII

Small list but the SRV one is perfect for my Stratocaster and what I am practicing at the moment.
Its my definition for clean (so far).

Neck pickup. I never get out of neck pickup.

Pedals, amps and guitars are going to be a fetish for me. Almost as extreme as Dan from That Pedal Show. I am sure of it.

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 10:34:18 am »
Getting Classic Sounds With The Yamaha THR10

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 12:50:56 pm »
I played around a bit.

Strat on 4th
Thr10ii:
Clean + classic, cabinet: Yamaha 2x12
Gain: 60, Master: 16
Bass: 30, Mid: 65, Treble: 65
Compressor: Sustain: 34, Level: 71
Echo, digital delay: Time: 39, Feedback: 38, bass: 10, Treble: 40, Mix: 23
Reverb: Spring, reverb: 12, tone: 50, mix: 11

Critique my settings  :o

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2021, 12:54:27 pm »
I played around a bit.
Critique my settings  :o
Not to put too fine a point on it but how are we supposed to give critique without hearing it?

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2021, 01:03:17 pm »
Not to put too fine a point on it but how are we supposed to give critique without hearing it?

If you have the Thr10ii at home you can put the settings on your Thr10ii. I advice using the app on desktop because it's easier to play around with it.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2021, 01:05:38 pm »
If you have the Thr10ii at home you can put the settings on your Thr10ii. I advice using the app on desktop because it's easier to play around with it.
There are not many of us who have those amps so makes it impossible!

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2021, 01:06:33 pm »
There are not many of us who have those amps so makes it impossible!

Buy it! It's awesome for practice at home and almost inexpensive :-)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2021, 01:29:06 pm »
For a little practice amp the THR10ii is not IMHO cheap (circa £300 UK) particularly as it's 20w amp. But obviously it depends on your financial position. ;D

Record it, let us hear what it sounds like. It's pretty difficult to give feedback based on settings. I'm interested in hearing the real world sound of it and haven't really had time to YT it yet.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2021, 01:38:34 pm »
I got Cubase AI with it for free. And I feel like I am not DUMB when it comes to software. But Cubase AI... with the Yamaha Thr10 as midi.. Jeez.. it's a hard battle to configurate.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2021, 01:56:15 pm »
The other thing is the sound you are getting will depend on your specific guitar and pickups. Unless someone else with the THRII 10 also has exactly the same guitar model as you, it's going to sound different.

I got Cubase AI with it for free. And I feel like I am not DUMB when it comes to software. But Cubase AI... with the Yamaha Thr10 as midi.. Jeez.. it's a hard battle to configurate.

You shouldn't need to connect the THRII 10 to Cubase via MIDI. You only need to connect the audio for recording.

The MIDI capability on the THR is what is used by the app for changing the settings.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 02:58:46 pm »
i just dont understand how to record with this application. In the past I worked with Cool Edit and lots of others but this one seems crazy complex.

I see that the application hears it, for example, but nothing on record. I am giving up on this program.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 03:21:21 pm »
DAWs are, by nature, fairly complex because they are designed to do complex, sophisticated things. You aren't going to be dive into using most DAWs without some background study on how they work and how to use them.

It sounds to me you need to work out how to create a track and "record arm" it. The following might help:

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 03:38:20 pm »
Helped!
The trick was, make a new track and set it up. Kind of weird you can't do that with the track that's already there, but whatever. Let's see if I can record something!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App