Author Topic: Need Help with low E open buzz  (Read 372 times)

Offline AJroots

• Good Vibes 0
Need Help with low E open buzz
« on: January 23, 2021, 05:52:31 pm »
Hey guys
New here, was hoping somebody could help shed some light on a issue.

Iv got a 2008 usa prs custom 22 with trem Bridge, great guitar I acquired for a reasonable price in 2009 after it fell of the rack in store beeing sold heavily discounted.

Played it seemed great just some chipping to the finish.
Didn't notice a buzz but tbh I was playing through a amp and couldn't belive my luck on the price I'm sure I would have bought it anyway.
But my memory is awful.

It basically has sat in the case for years as I love telecaster style guitars, never bonded with the prs. Especially the 5 way selection madness, and will be swaped out as soon as I fix the buzz.

Anyway revisiting this guitar the buzz on the low E when played open is terrible.
I have always repaired and built my own guitars and am assuming could be one of many things?
Saddles
Nut
Relief
Frets

But this is an almost new usa prs (aside from its fall)
Frets looks great,
nut looks fine (I even showed a friend the nut who is a local guitar shop owner/player he agrees it looks fine)
Have tryed saddles and relief set up and you can make it better but not remove it.

So I'm back looking at the nut again

If I hold the 3rd fret there is no clearence on the 1st fret, so to me that tells me the nut is to low?
But only buzzing on the low e but it's a fatter string.

What realisticly is the chance prs cut a bad nut?

Thanks guys appreciate any help :)

Sent from my KSA-LX9 using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Need Help with low E open buzz
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 06:12:20 pm »
It’s possible that the first fret has moved after or during the fall, before you try anything else I would take the strings off and gently tap all of the frets down to make sure that they are properly seated. The other thing is that if it’s been stored for a long while in dry conditions it may have some shrinkage causing the same problem, the best thing to do possibly is to humidify it for a few days and try it again, if it’s no different try tapping the frets down and see where that gets you. If that doesn’t work it may need the nut replaced or possibly try the cyano and baking soda fix:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 07:02:02 pm by DarrellW »
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 06:34:54 pm »
Adjust the truss rod. You should try to loosen tension a bit by turning maybe 1/4 of a turn to the left... repeat a few times untill problem is solved

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 07:01:21 pm »
Adjust the truss rod. You should try to loosen tension a bit by turning maybe 1/4 of a turn to the left... repeat a few times untill problem is solved
Interesting, I didn’t think that adjusting the truss rod would make much difference on the first fret without making the action high around the 12th fret.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline KasperFauerby

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
    • Kaspers SoundCloud
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 09:06:46 pm »
Interesting, I didn’t think that adjusting the truss rod would make much difference on the first fret without making the action high around the 12th fret.

I find it unlikely that a US PRS has a nut cut so low that the guitar is unplayable. If there is no clearance at the first fret, then the neck does not have enough relief (too tight a truss rod). Adjusting the truss rod will affect action at the 12th fret, but if that turns out to be a problem it can be addressed after setting relief.

Offline AJroots

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 09:18:29 pm »
Iv added relief with the truss Rod and hight with the saddles but no luck and have to pay for it up the neck, will be way above 4/64 action. Also it still won't remove this buzz.

Top Frets also seem flat and haven't popped out gave em a knock just incase

A few folds of paper under the string solved the buzz.

So I think Darrellw is right mayby and will try a new nut.

Just can't bring my self to belive a guitar with this little play and top end components can wear so easily, and with no sign of ware.
But all signs point to nut.
So new nut it must be.

Thanks for the help guys!

Sent from my KSA-LX9 using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline AJroots

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 09:35:59 pm »
I find it unlikely that a US PRS has a nut cut so low that the guitar is unplayable. If there is no clearance at the first fret, then the neck does not have enough relief (too tight a truss rod). Adjusting the truss rod will affect action at the 12th fret, but if that turns out to be a problem it can be addressed after setting relief.
Well This is my thoughts how unlikely is it a US prs nut with no signs of wear is actually worn, highly unlikely I think.

But really having no luck with relief

Get The Forum As A Mobile App