Author Topic: Modes in music like phrygian, dorian, etc.  (Read 571 times)

Offline Flare

• Good Vibes 1
Modes in music like phrygian, dorian, etc.
« on: January 21, 2021, 04:56:25 pm »
Modes like phrygian, dorian etc can be very confusing for beginners like me and I'm sure many others are struggling with them too. I'd like to request Justin to make some videos on modes of the major scale and how can we effectively practcie them.

Thank you.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 210
    • My Road Case
Re: Modes in music like phrygian, dorian, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 05:17:39 pm »
There's some information on Modes in the Practical Music Theory course.

This is one of the paid for products that Justin does.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 05:59:18 pm »
This might be of interest:

Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Online adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 06:23:51 pm »
I think Justin made an introductionary video and perhaps touched some basis but it's still in development so I would hold your horses until it's ready if this is only thing you are interested in from PMT.

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 06:30:52 pm »
There is a whole series on modes in the PMT course (video text the lot), which as Keith says is a pay for course. From experiences. limited, you need a fairly extensive knowledge and ability to apply the major scale(s) and understand the CAGED system, before getting into modes, so not surprising that this is not something Justin covers at a beginners level. In fact its kinda post Intermediate in terms of progression playing wise. So from my perspective once you get to that level, your interest in the theory side of thing gets far more inquisitive and that's when you start digging into this stuff. Again from my experience from completing the BC, IM, CAGED and Master The Major Scale I have achieved a rudimentary knowledge of Modes. For example I know that each Modes root is an interval from its major scale, the minor scale Aeolian starting from the 6th interval of the parent major. But to be honest that's after a good few years of development and as a beginner or even at the end of the BC, those concepts would have just blown my mind and I would have been incapable of applying the knowledge let alone retaining it.

For me that why Justin's structured approach to teaching is the key to success, as he will only introduce these kind of topic as and when folk are ready for them and not before.

As a beginner I would not worry about them for now. work through the BC, IM, MTMS, CAGED and along that route start the PMT course - yes you have to pay but its is value for money and just look at everything else that is provided gratis - you will the get to know modes when the time is right.

This is a slow long walk and not a race, take your time.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 619
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 07:32:31 pm »
Modes like phrygian, dorian etc can be very confusing for beginners like me ...

As mentioned, Justin has some lessons and teaching on modes.
It is on his extensive to-do list.

But, with respect, beginners are doing themselves no favours whatever even contemplating this stuff.

How much of a beginner are you?

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 12:07:47 am »
Modes like phrygian, dorian etc can be very confusing for beginners like me and I'm sure many others are struggling with them too.
Hi there. I’m a relative beginner, almost 3 years into Justin’s courses. I’ve never even heard of this stuff. Are you sure you need/want to know this at your stage? I’m ploughing my way through the intermediate course and there’s enough in there for me so far without modes.
We are all different of course so good luck. 😃
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 04:18:42 am »
The only real reason I wanted to understand modes was because I wanted to understand the music of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai rather than try to play it blindly from TAB, I had difficulty trying to play anything because I didn’t understand the structure. I never really succeeded to play anything mostly because I didn’t understand the way they switched modes. It’s pretty complex to take in, I’m getting there 30 years on, do yourself a favour at your level you’ve got no real reason to know the complexity of it, it’s going to be way over the top of your head for now.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App