Author Topic: Lou K's road case  (Read 352 times)

Offline Hooked

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • Older? Yes, wiser? Good question!
Lou K's road case
« on: January 19, 2021, 02:25:56 pm »
Greetings all! Intro -
Name: Lou - aka Hooked (on fishing, guitar, cycling)
Gear: Seagull S6, Larrivee OM-40
Guitar-ish bio: Love music - been an avid listener for most of my 63 years. Started ineffective guitar practice 10 years ago, lots of starts and stops, life interruptions, too.
Goals for 2021:

Inspired by Batwoman and others to write this down. Even cribbed some of her words as I can’t improve on them!

I’ve been kicking around with a guitar for 10 years – minimal progress, started and stopped too many times, and could get discouraged about it. So its time to plan the work and work the plan…

Playing
1.   Deliberately following the beginner course through. I have Grade 1 down decently (see below). Grade 2 - need to nail barre chords and good rhythmic strumming. I have an “innate” sense of rhythm, but the metronome mocks me. Have to work on this as part of every practice.
2.   I need to focus on achievable songs – I can play badly several tunes, none well enough that I’d play for anyone else. Polish these before going on to another.
3.   TRUST – rely on this group and 1 or two local friends for feedback taking constructive, helpful advice from people with no stake in this beyond being good people who want others to succeed.
4.   TRUST – myself to learn and grow from my own and others feedback, without despairing that “I can never do this”.
5. Fingerstyle - at least fundamentals. This is really beyond the beginner course, but this is what I want most to get to.

Technical stuff

1.   I have a couple of pieces of recording gear – learn the technical end of capturing my guitar – THEN USE IT! Train my ears to hear and honestly evaluate.
2.   Guitar setup – I want to be comfortable working on my guitar, beyond changings strings. Tweaking the truss rod, saddle height. Won’t touch the nut on my good guitar anytime soon – too expensive a mistake!

Singing/Confidence:
1.   I LOVE to sing – so long as there is zero chance of someone else hearing me! In the car to the radio, in the house, even (very quietly) in a group setting such as church or a picnic (remember groups and concerts?). I would like to be able to sing and play at the same time to songs I know well. I used to have a dog who wouldn’t criticize, but she’s gone now and it’s just me. But someday after a bike ride or at a weekend barbecue…

2. Playing confidence: get in front of people - preferably very good friends to try my songs in person. Get them to sing!

Benchmarks:

1.   No dates – but record progress on Justin’s app – 5x practice weekly as much as possible.
2.   End of February 2021 – post to AVOYP. California Stars, Knocking on Heaven’s Door – something!
3.     Once we can gather again - get the above polished songs ready for a picnic/barbecue/etc by May 2021.
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wire...

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Lou K's road case
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 02:36:34 pm »
Good vibes for the RC, Lou. Enjoyed the read. You have a great plan. Look forward to your recordings in AVOYP when you are ready.

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 02:51:30 pm »
Nice EC Lou, looking forward to end of February :))

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 03:50:24 am »
Hi Lou, what a great outline of your goals.

I have an “innate” sense of rhythm, but the metronome mocks me.

Metronomes can be like that. I used to yell and scream at mine. She would race me so fast I couldn't keep up, then she'd go so slowly I had to stop and wait for her. Her sense of rhythm was really bad  ::)  Stick with it and I promise you'll become best buddies.  ;D  Some people like to work with a drum track, or a drum track plus metronome.

Singing/Confidence:
1.   I LOVE to sing – so long as there is zero chance of someone else hearing me! In the car to the radio, in the house, even (very quietly) in a group setting such as church or a picnic (remember groups and concerts?). I would like to be able to sing and play at the same time to songs I know well. I used to have a dog who wouldn’t criticize, but she’s gone now and it’s just me. But someday after a bike ride or at a weekend barbecue…

2. Playing confidence: get in front of people - preferably very good friends to try my songs in person. Get them to sing!

The thing that will drive you here Lou, is that you LOVE to sing. The other thing that will set you free from the self imposed prison is to be aware of your self talk. You're right when you talk about TRUSTING yourself to learn. I posted this in the forum a while ago. It might help you when the despair washes over you.

Make sure you acknowledge, generously, every single achievement.

You have all the ingredients for happy music making and self expression here,  now go have fun. 

Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 08:45:06 am »
Thanks for sharing Lou. I am especially impressed that you are looking to place trust here - and I am confident your trust will be rewarded by our fine community. :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 10:02:58 am »
What he said ^^^^^^
The encouragement and support that you get on here is second to none, I know that since I came here my playing has gone beyond my wildest dreams and it’s all down to a great learning path provided by Justin and the support of the great bunch of folks on here.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App