Author Topic: Willsie (Cul De Sac)  (Read 953 times)

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
  • Campfire Strummer wannabe
Willsie (Cul De Sac)
« on: January 19, 2021, 01:19:57 pm »
I'll edit this in the future. Hurriedly written as I have baby sitting duties today.
I'm creating this "Road Case" without the foggiest idea what one is. I gather it's somewhere to record one's guitar journey. While being fully aware that there is absolutely nothing about mine that could be even remotely interesting to anyone I'm doing it to help me break out of the Cul De Sac my guitar and I have been stuck in for quite a while. My experience of this forum is that there are members knowledgeable enough and generous enough to give me the advice I need and I'm hoping that won't change!

I'm a member of a rehearsing group and we have the ambition of open mic nights. That is currently on hold because of Covid and we meet like so many do on Zoom.

I'll put my personal history with guitars, before I came across Justin's site, at the end of the post because it's not very significant and I'd advise skipping it! For now I'd like to talk about my goals! These are the thoughts I came up with after watching Justin's video on goals in his Effective Practice series. And put here after reading Batwoman's post on her goals for this year, in her road case.

Goals
1 Year:
Learn/Revise 12 songs that I can play and sing with a little bit of embellishment.
Continue with PMT and learning fretboard.
Learn jamming skills (but what are they :D?).
Work on barre chords.
Soloing.
Finger picking/strumming techniques.
Work out a lesson path. (This possibly is the most important step)

2 Years:
Become a reasonable, jamming, band member.
Rhythm & solo player.
Refine and advance 1 year goals.

4 years:
Develop as a solo acoustic player and singer with expanding repertoire.
Refine and advance 1 & 2 year goals.

Long Term:
Recognising the fact that I'll be 73 in April I'm planning on becoming a digital musician in the future so I can continue with music if the time comes I can't play the guitar due to arthritis in my hands, etc

Pre-Justin Guitar Journey
The first time I had a guitar was when I was given one as a Christmas present. Probably late '50's, when I was pre-teens. I also had Bert Weedon's Play In A Day, which I worked through and ended up being able to strum the open position chords 4 down strokes to the bar with my thumb. Tried plectrums but never got on with them. The guitar must have been cheap and not very playable because it never stayed in tune. it was never a satisfying experience so I ended up not touching it very often. No idea what happened to it.
Fast forward to the 70's and I'm living in a small flat in Woodside Park, N. London with my girl friend. Drawn into a guitar shop at Tally Ho corner one day I see one of those adverts for a guitar teacher, albeit a classical guitar teacher. Were there contemporary guitar music teachers in those days? I never found one. Maybe I didn't know where to look. I contact him, he helps me choose and buy a classical guitar and I have weekly lessons which end up with grade 2 and 3 passes! But they don't help me know what to do to play Beatles songs on the Yamaha acoustic I bought at the time! I move to St Albans and lose touch with the teacher as well as losing the enthusiasm to play guitar.
Marriage and children came along and guitars willingly put aside for the new experience. We moved abroad for a few years and the guitars were locked in the attic while the house was rented out. When we came back the padlock had been broken and the guitars gone!
Fast forward well over 35 years to December 2016: I come across the Justin Guitar website by chance. Can't remember what I was looking for. I was 68 and thinking about a retirement hobby although I didn't get around to actually retiring till I was 71. After a few videos I end up in Denmark St., London, on a Saturday, (on my way to watch West Ham play). I buy an £850 Faith Blood Moon Venus. Not at all what I had set out to get! Been my daily instrument ever since.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:39:24 pm by willsie01 »

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
Re: Willsie (Cul De Sac)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 01:42:05 pm »
I enjoyed reading your roadcase, its interesting that you ave set goals for the next 4 years. My goals seem to be one month at a time.

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 02:54:42 pm »
Lovely to see all the new RC's. I do love reading them and yours no exception, Willsie.

So you and I are Dec 2016 arrivals I see. And how rude of the tenants (maybe) to break into the attic and help themselves to your guitars.

As for the goals. Looks good. I remember how well you performed the song or two you've shared her.

Not sure what you mean by jamming. Could be to be able to take a turn playing solos, in which case I guess scales, lead technique, and ear training would help.

I know you are looking at theory so chords in the key already under way, which I think would also help.

As for digital musician, what did you have in mind there? I guess I am down a digital path which will be useful if I became unable to play guitar (ring finger final joint already doesn't flex well, making muting the adjacent string on some chords a frequent issue)

Look forward to updates and hearing you play again when you are ready.

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 02:56:23 pm »
Sounds like a proper plan to me, waiting for some updates from you to see how you crack on! ;)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 03:31:55 am »
What an interesting read Willsie. I love the way a guitar landed in your hands just at the right time.

Power to you  :)
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 06:33:11 pm »
I enjoyed reading your roadcase, its interesting that you ave set goals for the next 4 years. My goals seem to be one month at a time.

I'm not sure I could think of such short term goals.
Can you share one or two examples?

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 06:47:31 pm »
Lovely to see all the new RC's. I do love reading them and yours no exception, Willsie.

So you and I are Dec 2016 arrivals I see. And how rude of the tenants (maybe) to break into the attic and help themselves to your guitars.

As for the goals. Looks good. I remember how well you performed the song or two you've shared her.

Not sure what you mean by jamming. Could be to be able to take a turn playing solos, in which case I guess scales, lead technique, and ear training would help.

I know you are looking at theory so chords in the key already under way, which I think would also help.

As for digital musician, what did you have in mind there? I guess I am down a digital path which will be useful if I became unable to play guitar (ring finger final joint already doesn't flex well, making muting the adjacent string on some chords a frequent issue)

Look forward to updates and hearing you play again when you are ready.
Sounds like Dec 2016 was a good month!
I'm not sure what all the aspects of jamming are. My long term ambition would be to be able to sit in with other musicians and "jam" along to whatever song they were playing, taking turns at rhythm and soloing. Maybe even bass! To me this means being able to recognise the key and chord structure of the song being jammed and play it on the fly. I suspect there are intermediate stages of ability where one can get by with lesser skill and a bit of coaching from someone more experienced.
With the digital music I mean being able to create songs using a DAW. I have downloaded Reaper and worked through a set of tutorials on their website but need to start doing it for real.
I like the idea of putting videos on the forum but never seem to get around to doing it!

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 06:49:34 pm »
Sounds like a proper plan to me, waiting for some updates from you to see how you crack on! ;)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

I certainly hope to crack on!

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 06:50:44 pm »
What an interesting read Willsie. I love the way a guitar landed in your hands just at the right time.

Power to you  :)

Thank you!
Meant to be...finally!

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2021, 06:56:00 pm »
I'm not sure I could think of such short term goals.
Can you share one or two examples?
For example, My goal last month was to complete  grade 2 lesson 9 and learn two songs in the process

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 09:19:16 pm »
For example, My goal last month was to complete  grade 2 lesson 9 and learn two songs in the process

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Ah! Good thinking!
I'll see how I can fit it into my plans!

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 10:34:37 am »
Sounds like Dec 2016 was a good month!
I'm not sure what all the aspects of jamming are. My long term ambition would be to be able to sit in with other musicians and "jam" along to whatever song they were playing, taking turns at rhythm and soloing. Maybe even bass! To me this means being able to recognise the key and chord structure of the song being jammed and play it on the fly. I suspect there are intermediate stages of ability where one can get by with lesser skill and a bit of coaching from someone more experienced.
With the digital music I mean being able to create songs using a DAW. I have downloaded Reaper and worked through a set of tutorials on their website but need to start doing it for real.
I like the idea of putting videos on the forum but never seem to get around to doing it!

Wish you well with the goals.

There are a few of us that are Reaper users. Always happy to chat about that, share my own learning/experience if it will be helpful.

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 07:11:52 pm »
Hi y'all hope everyone is well in our guitar players world!

Adding to my Road Case today to mention the great experience I had on the 24th Feb, when I had the Google Meet session with Justin I had won! How cool is that for a decrepit septuagenarian. Can't speak for JG but I had a great time! The session was a prize for my entry for a Christmas comp on Instagram. As an aside, beware that if you post a video on Instagram it goes in the public domain. I got a 'like' from my son's mother in law! Not the intended audience! I asked Justin about a few issues I felt I had, that would restrict my development as a player. One of these was my perceived problem with finger stretch, which I always thought was going to limit me, as I have a very curved little finger. He showed me how short his little finger was and that sort of took that excuse of mine away. He also listened a good bit to my playing and gave me feedback on how tension can affect how well you play, offering the advice that I should loosen up while playing. Don't overthink, it just loosen up, which I’ve been trying to adopt and it seems that it works. Of course loosening up when playing is a work in progress for me as anyone who saw me take part in the OM last week will confirm!

Progress on 1st Year Goals
Of the 12 songs repertoire target I set myself for the year I have 2 that I am pretty happy with although I messed up one in the OM this week. I have another 4 which are works in progress. I'm happy with this.
I’ve stalled with PMT at the grade 4 test. MUST get back on track.
Spending time learning how the chords in different keys follow the same pattern so that I'll more easily be able to play in different keys when jamming
Thinking more about transitions between barre chords and practising them.
Adding individual notes to strumming in a song! I’m slowly doing this.
Have done some finger picking and rhythm development, but should do more.
Pleased that Justin has started to introduce his new intermediate course and that is going to be added to my routine.

My 2/4/ Year Long Term goals:
These haven’t changed much. I watched Adam G's music production course and loved it. I've got Reaper download and will make a start with this. The first thought I've had with this is that I'd like to 'fatten' up my voice as an experiment to see how that goes. Be great to find a tutorial, much like Adam's, but one that uses Reaper. @DavidP? I’m not great at trying to use complex software intuitively I need to do things repetitively to burn them in.

Gear:
1. Faith Blood Moon Venus acoustic. Bought this at No Tom in Denmark Street, in 2016, over 4 years ago, after coming across JG's website. My day to day guitar. Reasonable quality for £850 new but feel like I want to upgrade and wondering what to get. I feel like I want a guitar with more 'bite', if that makes sense? Maybe my lack of technique but I can't make the Faith sound ‘rocky’.
2. About a year ago I bought an Epiphone ES Dot 335 but hardly touch it. It did have the occasional outing between lockdowns when I was practising with some friends but just sitting in a stand at the moment. It needs setting up, which I want to learn to do myself.
3. Fylde Ariel Parlour guitar. A moment of madness buy just before Christmas, after I saw it come up for sale used. It's small and as light as a feather but the volume from that small body is surprisingly big. I just quite don't know what to do with it! I'm experimenting! Playing the riff from Paint It Black on it is very satisfying.
4. Hondo Fame 757 T style currently in pieces and talked about in another post of mine.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1fyeqG9XgpV1h97M6

And the other guitars:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4VkjApb7aaGEHHja7

5. Behringer UM2 AI
6. Rode NT1-A Mic

That’s all folks!

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 117
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 07:33:58 pm »
Enjoyed reading through your Roadcase, John, I love hearing how people come to the guitar. So many stories have starts and stops and re-starts again years later. That must be the heart of a musician, always being drawn to the music and the desire to play.

Thanks for sharing your lesson with Justin, it sounds like a good one. I think those of us lucky enough to 'win' a lesson with him get exactly what we need out out of the lesson :)

And that's some pretty impressive goals, and you're doing great at sticking to them, and obviously having fun while you're doing that!

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50, Vibro Champ XD
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 02:13:13 am »
The first thought I've had with this is that I'd like to 'fatten' up my voice as an experiment to see how that goes. Be great to find a tutorial, much like Adam's, but one that uses Reaper. @DavidP? I’m not great at trying to use complex software intuitively I need to do things repetitively to burn them in.

What a great update John, it sounds like you're making solid progress in many areas and achieving goals. I was particularly impressed with your part of the OM.  Congratulations too on your win, your lesson sounds valuable.

In Reaper there's a cool tool called Spectral Analysis. I learned about using it to thicken the voice with this video.

To apply this info to Reaper, check the video below. If you go to 1:17,  Kenny Gioia (the Reaper go to guy) explains the settings for the spectrogram. You'll see it's very easy to use.

It's very easy to use.

There are other factors that influence the quality of the voice, breath support being the most fundamental and important.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 10:55:45 am »
Thanks for a great update, John. All sounds like it is moving forward well.

And once again, well done on your performance at the OM; it was great and I hope you'll back again at the next one.

I can reiterate what Maggie said about Kenny Goia. His videos are great and all available here

If you scroll to the bottom you'll see a button to expand the categories.  Then you use the "find" in your browser to search for mentions of words on the page to find appropriate videos eg find all mentions of "vocal"

Over an above what Maggie has said, I think you can fatten your vocal by multi-tracking.  If you can sing a track twice consistently then the fine subtle differences will help to fatten up the sound. You can pan each track a little left and right which helps. Then add some reverb, delay, compression, perhaps on copies of the recorded tracks. I think all of this helps to fatten up a vocal. Other effects used subtly can also help, like saturation.

Lots to explore and learn once you get into recording. That of course if you are interested in going down that road.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2021, 11:27:18 am »
Great to read your update John.
You have some nice gear ... don't give up on that Faith just yet ... they are highly esteemed. I'm sure you can coax what you want from it.

Can I ask if you'd do a SKype session report for our special skype thread?
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=42493.0
Cheers
:)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2021, 02:29:01 pm »
Nice update John and I think you underestimate your ability. You did a  more than credible performance as part of the OM. Look forward to hearing more.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2021, 04:11:32 pm »
I think you are doing well John and I am glad you enjoyes your time with Justin and you found it useful. Hope to hear from you soon in AVOYP section! :)

Keep on rockin' my friends

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2021, 01:33:07 pm »

…and the desire to play…your lesson with Justin…that’s some pretty impressive goals…
Mari

@Mari: thanks! I do love playing! Lesson with J was super. I’ve set ambitious goals on the basis that even if I don’t achieve them I should end up better than I otherwise would!

…your part of the OM…
Spectral Analysis...

Kenny Gioia (the Reaper go to guy)...

@Maggie: thanks! I’m glad I braced myself and took part in the OM. If I can do it anyone can! Your tips on Reaper sound like they’ll help me. I have seen Chris Liepe mentioned on this forum recently so that will be a good watch. Think Toby is a fan.

…at the OM; it was great and I hope you'll back again at the next one.
…about Kenny Goia. His videos are great and all available here

@David: thanks! I’m hoping to have some songs ready for the next OM. It was great fun AND educational. Particularly the post event feedback. Thanks for the additional info on Reaper. I’m taking you advice together with Maggie’s forward as production is a big interest of mine.. Although I know zilch at the moment!

...don't give up on that Faith just yet…
Can I ask if you'd do a SKype session report for our special skype thread?
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=42493.0
Cheers
:)

@Richard: thanks! if I don’t give up on the Faith I’ll probably need to add another guitar? Hmmm :)
I will do the Skype report.

Nice update John…Look forward to hearing more.

@Jason: thanks and likewise. Your opening Gambler was terrific.

…Hope to hear from you soon in AVOYP section! :)

@Adrian: thanks, Although I’ve done a few AVOYP’s over the years in the forum It’s not been my forte as I have found recording tricky.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2021, 02:04:15 pm »
John,

I also really enjoy production.

There is an introduction on Justin's website.

There are many websites and channels. When I got started I learned a lot from Graham Cochrane's channel Recording Revolution. The trick is not getting overwhelmed by all the information available.

And of course just working through Kenny Goia's videos is a great start if you are using Reaper.

For me it is as much fun and as rewarding as learning to play.  And there are a number of people in the Forum who can offer lots of feedback and help.

Enjoy

Get The Forum As A Mobile App