Author Topic: PLEASE HELP - Green adherences on frets of new guitar  (Read 510 times)

Offline GuitarPhil93

• Good Vibes 0
PLEASE HELP - Green adherences on frets of new guitar
« on: January 19, 2021, 11:54:26 am »
Hello everyone, i would kindly like to ask for your help and advice regarding the following:

I recently ordered a new Fender CD-140 SCE as my beginner guitar at a professional music store. On the frets at the bottom end of the fretboard, i noticed these greenish adherences on the frets. I don't think this is something a new guitar should have. However, i'm no guitar expert. Could these traces be resulting from oxidation or could it even be mold? Is this something to worry about?
This is the second a guitar i got from the store; i already replaced it once, since the first one showed similar adherences on the frets and also unusual traces on the fretboard itself. Now i'm thinking of returning this one as well and ordering it somewhere else.

Thanks in advance!

Offline SS7

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
Re: PLEASE HELP - Green adherences on frets of new guitar
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 12:04:07 pm »
Hey Phil! Looks like oxidation on the frets to me, it's pretty simple to get rid of. You can get specialized products like fret erasers or polishing tapes to get rid of it, but any household products you may have that can be used for polishing will work just as well. Just make sure you don't use anything too aggressive because you don't want to damage the frets. It's no big deal really.

Sent from my SM-N985F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 12:26:43 pm »
Yeah, looks like a bit of oxidation, I would have thought that they would have sorted that out in the shop before selling it! On the positive note it doesn’t usually happen if the guitar is in a very dry environment, so it’s not going to be dried out and have sprouting fret ends and general shrinkage, it’s much better slightly humid than very dry. You could either do it yourself (which isn’t difficult - just look for a video on YT for Fret polishing), or you could ask them if they would polish them up. Personally I would do it myself because they were negligent in not doing it in the first place so they may not have the right facilities or experience to do it!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Online J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 79
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 04:09:51 pm »
It's almost certainly oxidation. Do you know what kind of material is used for the frets on the guitar? If it's not stainless steel, it's probably an alloy containing nickel (e.g. "nickel silver" is a common fret wire material). Nickel oxidation is often some shade of green (often seen on wire-framed glasses, especially around the nose pads or other points where the glasses come into frequent contact with your skin). Such oxidation is increased by the oils and such from your skin. You may be able to prevent it by always wiping down/cleaning your fretboard after you practice or play. But we all have slightly different skin chemistry, so it also could be that your skin/oils produce oxidation in a certain nickel alloy even if you keep the guitar quite clean.

Offline GuitarPhil93

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 10:33:14 am »
Thank you all for your kind replies!!
I have so far found, that the standard Fender frets are made of nickel and silver, so it'd make sense that this is some kind of nickel oxidation.
Appreciate the cleaning advice! I think I will simply return the guitar though, since it is completely new. I already send the first one back for the same reason and thought they would replace it with a guitar not having these green colored adherences on the frets..

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 01:43:46 pm »
Looks to me like they've had them sitting around for a while. Unfortunately many sellers do not do any type of set-up/pre-check before sending out. Always worth finding one that will do prior to shipping but they are becoming few and far between as it's easier for them to ship and deal with returns.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline GuitarPhil93

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 03:22:12 pm »
Thanks again to everybody for their replies! I decided to keep the guitar. The green spots could easily be scratched off, though i didn't completely clean the frets yet.
Guess I'm gonna start practicing a bit first! :)

Thank you!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App