Author Topic: Justme123456  (Read 4844 times)

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: Justme123456
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2021, 09:14:47 am »
Frustration is normal, but, in the end, it all seems to be about muscle memory and your body is a whole lot smarter than what your brain alone can handle. So let it flow. Let it come to you.

Which brings me back to a video of Keith Richards I watched yearsssss ago but came to mind:

So, even if we are not performing for 100.000s of people on stage, this also counts in the living room. Let your body take in what it needs to do and it will know. Once you get your brain involved by being frustrated "[not allowed to swear but that's what I do when I get really frustrated], why can't you JUST DO THIS" ... you are actually hindering yourself even more, which gets you even more inside your head.. and ... well, you are now just punishing yourself and are completely ineffective.

Take a breath, take it even slower.. and bring yourself back into your body. Your fingers will remember and need to learn. Not "you" (=ego)
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2021, 10:18:51 am »
I'm a big Stones and Keith fan, so appreciated that video.

And maybe the fact that I think he (and many others) learned through a process of primarily transcription, plus some sharing by showing each other licks etc means they are far less likely to be cerebral about playing.

I have learned by looking at theory and trying to apply, so much more thoughtful and less instinctive.

And of course there is the hours and hours spent learning and playing over years and years, which we shouldn't forget.

Every now and then I have a moment when it feels like I am in that zone, not really thinking about it, just playing and even singing ... and it feels and sounds so good. Then the next day normal service is resumed and it is back to concentrating.

But my few hours spread over but a few years ... what can I expect ... nothing more than what I am getting and over time what I am getting is getting better.

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2021, 10:26:12 am »
It's also A, B and C game.
Your A game is your absolute best. That's you being in the zone where you have that special moment, you are not thinking about it, just playing and perhaps even singing. Then you have your C-game. It's your absolute worse. However, this is a shifting process. Your A game now, will not be your future A-game. And your C-game might have been called your A-game some time ago.

The trick is to get out of your own way to make your A game better, but also to make sure your C-game is getting better. That means sometimes focusing on your weaknesses. For you, that might be learning to play more instinctive. So when you are at your absolute worse... Like Keith Richards messing up a solo live... but.. Keith messing up a solo is still my unreachable A-game.

Your last sentence... I find discouraging, but that's my issue. I really hope I can get to an amazing level for myself fully realizing "being" Keith Richards is not possible and also not something I should aim for. But if I had to name one guitar player I would love to play like, it would be him.
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2021, 11:59:58 am »
Your last sentence... I find discouraging, but that's my issue. I really hope I can get to an amazing level for myself fully realizing "being" Keith Richards is not possible and also not something I should aim for. But if I had to name one guitar player I would love to play like, it would be him.

I guess I just want to keep learning and become the best musician I can be, all constraints considered. And as I've continued to improve over my four years, I am happy, at peace with my rate of progress.

As for me, if I had to name one musician that would be my North Star, the one I'd love to be like, it would be Neil Young

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2021, 12:22:21 pm »
Perhaps on a technical level I have a better shot at it  ;D

(on the other hand... Keith might be the best rhythm player ever... and on the other hand.... Charlie Watts might be the reason)

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2021, 08:01:40 pm »
Me: its like shoes honey. I love this guitar but I am for sure thinking about the next one. It’s going to
be a Tele. For now, I am not going to change amps or anything. This is good for practicing at home. But i do want to work with pedals etc at some point.. so yeah.

She knows the Tele is going to come sooner than later. I know it but I am in denial. I give it a year 😂

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2021, 04:21:46 pm »
Did my first recording in Cubase. It's not much, only 30 seconds. And more to see if my amp settings are okay. But need to post it here because it's for the future JustMe to smile about and to know the exact date and time of my first recording with guitar. 5-2-2021, around 17:00

https://soundcloud.com/user-882183777/test-2-07

If I get more serious with recording (which I might, who knows) a new PC is also a must.

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
  • SoCal kid living in my RV in Florida
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2021, 07:12:48 pm »
Sound was clean. I'd crank it up a bit next time. I maxed out volumes and could barely hear.

New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang I v2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer
"Learn what you need to learn when you need to learn it" - JS

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2021, 07:19:41 pm »
oh really? interesting.
Perhaps something in Cubase where i made wrong adjustments to output from amp to Cubase.
Thanks!

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2021, 07:52:08 pm »
Recording at a low level isn't a problem. In fact it's often preferable to recording "too hot".

As I indicated in my other post, you can boost the level of the track in the DAW in various ways. Typically these are:

1. Apply a gain operation onto the recorded track. Most DAWs have a "normalize" operation which will maximise the level to a given amount.

2. Use the track level to increase the gain  of the track in the mix (and, yes you may only have one track, but it's still "a mix")

3. Use a normalization tool on export.

In general, I would say 1 and 3 are the best approaches as a "normalize" operation will take a lot of the guesswork out of getting a good level.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2021, 09:25:12 pm »
I’m not enough of an expert to give you amp tips but I recognised the first couple of bars of ‘Imagine’. That was a solid start. Give us more!
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
My road case :- https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2021, 09:28:45 pm »
Wow! What an amazing compliment! I will see what I can do to make that happen

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2021, 08:29:17 am »
Well done, Justme, that is another big step taken!

Like Gordon said, those chords as you played them sounded familiar to me, so you are on the path to record the song in due course.

In terms of amp tones, I guess everybody who listens will have an opinion and offer suggestions. My 2cs worth, you don't need to spend any more time knob-twiddling. I think the tone sounded good as you have it and ideal for strumming songs using the open chords that you are learning.

I say "need", cause of course exploring tones and the amp's capabilities has its own value and enjoyment, but many report spending more time in this pursuit than practicing and playing songs, which I think needs more attention in the beginning.

From a levels perspective, yes the final level of the audio file rendered/exported/bounced (whatever word you have come across) from Cubase was low.  To add to Keith's comments:

When you set the recording level on the track in Cubase I imagine you can set a control to increase the gain/level as you are recording. I know how to do this in a typical DAW when using an Audio Interface but no idea how you'd do this when recording direct from the amp.

I expect that the amp settings will influence this. I also assume that you can hear what you are playing from the amp while the signal is also being routed to the PC for recording in Cubase. I may be wrong, as I say, I've never done this sort of thing. If that is the case then you need to have the amp master volume at an appropriate level.

When you look at the meters in Cubase as you are playing with the amp set appropriately, then I would learn how to get those levels averaging between -18dB to -12dB, peaking is fine but should not peak above 0dB as an absolutely and ideally perhaps not above -6dB to -3dB.  Notice on this scale that things are louder as you approach 0dB. I assume that you will be seeing these meters in an obvious way in Cubase but have never used Cubase.

If when you are playing, the levels are a lot lower then you need to learn how to boost those levels as you record. As I said no idea how to do this in Cubase recording direct from an amp. But I expect a good Google will yield tutorials that provide the answer. You can also do it the old-fashioned way and read the User Manual. I expect early on in sections explaining the basics you will learn what you need to know.

That's a lot to digest, so won't go any further than that for now. I think if you figure out the above and can record from your amp at those levels you are good to go.

If on the other hand you look into your recording and find the recorded levels are fine then we can revisit this and talk more about how to get a good final level when you render from Cubase by working more on the Master track.

All that aside, well done again on recording and sharing!!

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2021, 12:22:20 pm »
I had a quick look at my THR.

On the THR Remote app, within the settings there is a "USB Out" level setting:

Increasing this should increase the level received by Cubase.

Be aware that, as DavidP suggested, you don't want to turn this up too high. If you peak above 0dbFS when recording it will irreversibly damage the signal. You may not get that on a clean setting, but you could if you play on one of the higher-gain settings.

As I said before, recording at a low level (within reason) shouldn't really be an issue as you can increase the level within the DAW with no loss of quality.

Yes, you also increase the background noise level by doing this, which is a consideration on a conventional audio interface where you have an analogue part with pre-amps and converters which generate noise, but on a digital connection to a digital modelling amp you shouldn't have any noise other than the noise floor of the digital encoding, which should be well under -100 dBFS (I think the THR is 24-bit), which is inaudible even if you made it 2 or 3 times louder.

So, I would suggest, yes, you experiment with the USB Out level control, but also learn how to use the DAW to increase the level using normalization and other tools.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2021, 01:03:59 pm »
I love this. Your guys help but also this whole home studio stuff. Brings me back in the days!!

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2021, 01:17:27 pm »
My speaker streaming was also on focus, I have put it on open like you.

I would love to have a screenshot of one of your clean presets, would you mind? Or is that like asking for a IP address?

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2021, 05:01:16 pm »
My speaker streaming was also on focus, I have put it on open like you.

Don't feel you have to follow my settings. The difference between open and focus is quite subtle and, I think, which one sounds better is a combination of personal preference and your surroundings.

I would love to have a screenshot of one of your clean presets, would you mind? Or is that like asking for a IP address?

I've put the amp away for the moment. If I remember I will try to do a screenshot, but I really didn't put much time or effort into my presets: I mainly twiddled the knobs until it sounded good to me with the guitar I had, and in the room I was living in, at the time and then stored it. I tend to tweak the settings each time I use it depending on which guitar I'm using.

Oh, and I'm happy to give you an IP address. I have 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 of them, so why not:

2001:8b0:be0a:80fe:0001:0002:0003:0004

Have fun with that!

;)

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2021, 05:05:21 pm »
Perhaps that’s the best approach. What sounds good to me (today) and back to playing

Online glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2021, 11:29:40 pm »
- Listened to the recording and recognised the song as well! So you're doing good!
- Finally another fellow Cubase user! Let me know if you have any questions on the recording side of your journey. Cubase may be a bit complicated sometimes but you have to keep in mind it's German engineering a.k.a. company Steinberg likes to be prepared for (almost) every possible scenario that might come up. They do the same with their hardware always having a bunch of additional connections on it.

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2021, 10:29:26 am »
- Thanks!
- I got it free with the THR10ii. Very curious if I like it and if my laptop can take it.

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2021, 10:40:19 am »
Yesterday another play along exercise with Barre Chords. I find it very interesting to start such an exercise with a "holy cow, how is that even possible?", to "okay, let's try", to "chord by chord", to "hmm lets strum this slowly" to "hmmm it's working".

I am also going back and forth between "new" gear because it's so much fun. For example, considering a new amp (or a second one). Then I wake up and realize I only have my current gear for a month now and with this tempo it will ruin the bank account.

Which also brings me to an interesting youtube video from Robert Baker:

The biggest gear mistake beginners make

For now, no new amps. Probably not even pedals. The only thing I can buy for myself at some point this year or early next year is a Fender Player Telecaster.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2021, 11:42:49 am »
And my favourite word when trying new things is "yet". I like to use that word to remind myself and programme the mind to support learning. And barre chords are yet another technique that seems impossible at first and eventually one can't remember why it was struggle.

So keep working those shapes and progressions and you'll be rocking in due course.

Shall make a note to come back and watch the video for entertainment sake.

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2021, 02:48:38 pm »
After some contemplation I am going to experiment with something. At GuitarTricks you have an amazing libraries of songs: https://www.guitartricks.com/songs/all?d=all&s=newest The experiment will be, for 2 weeks straight, all I am going to do is learn and play songs.

First of all, I completed the fundamentals course at GT so it's not a bad idea for me to see what i've learned and place it in some songs. Also, I need to be able to free my mind and to let the rest follow, as the amazing song says. So, I have been pretty direct in my thinking towards songs. Also, because I couldn't really find songs that inspire me.

After some more digging at GT I realized that last one is not true. So the first song on my list is really simple; Nirvana - About a girl.
The challenge is not so much in the chords (Em, G), but more in the strumming. So it's a good way for me to practice some rhythm and I simply like Nirvana a lot.

So for two weeks, it will be nothing else but practicing and playing songs. After two weeks, I will revaluate. I might come to the conclusion that the fundamentals series gave me a great fundament but I want to focus most of my time on learning songs. I might continue with the blues or rock path or I might do something entirely different. I am going to free the mond and see where this new experiment will bring me.

Online glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2021, 03:04:20 pm »
AVOYP area of the forum is waiting for some more songs (even though, i still have 20 recordings from that section to listen to). Just never forget to have fun doing music!

Keep us posted with the experiment progress and evaluation!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2021, 03:18:20 pm »
Sounds like a smart plan, Justme. Look forward to hearing how you go ... and some recordings.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App