Author Topic: Justme123456  (Read 4846 times)

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
Re: Justme123456
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2021, 10:00:01 am »
My first electric was exactly like that, classic black and white strat (mine was done budget guitar which brand I don't even remember). Happy NGD, happy bday and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
  • SoCal kid living in my RV in Florida
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2021, 10:00:44 am »
Lurking behind that grill be the red eyed dragon - Unleash the fire man!

Happy Birthday!!!
New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang I v2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer
"Learn what you need to learn when you need to learn it" - JS

Online R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2021, 10:03:55 am »
Happy Birthday and NGD and NAD!

Enjoy your new gear.

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2021, 10:09:36 am »
Thanks guys!! My wife had a very personal gift for me first, which was very emotional... but then the, moment was there. You could feel it in the air. She felt it, our daughter felt it...
It was the last present to unpack.. And there she was, this big Taylor box (they packet it extra tight for safety).
But NO, first... the amp... the unpacking was amazing, my wife said: Wow so small... And it looks beautiful, I would not mind having this in our living room.

Then the unpacking of the guitar. It felt like a little kid unpacking some new toy and I was all jiggly and nervous... My wife said: See [name of our little girl], he is as careful with the guitar as with you as a baby.

Its true, I was super careful. Then... Oef,... in my hands... Felt awesome... the back of the neck is sooo smooth... And the colour, the black... man o man... what a thing of beauty... A lot heavier then my acoustic, but already adapted to it.

Then, the guitar cable plugged in my amp, looking at pictures i Googled how to pur the settings so it sounded well.. and........ It sounded terrible.

My wife had this look on her face: I am not going to say anyhing... but then said: Daddy probably thought he would now sound amazing... hahaha

But, no, it just wasnt... right... So I mumbled a bit nervous, mweh.. I probably need to play around with the settings a bit more...

Then our daughter got all jumpy on the couch as a 3 year old does... so i have to bring the new gear to the attic... where I am sitting now...

So, I played around with the settings a bit.. Still xx--xx. Man... 333 for this?! Found some pictures on settings ... and sounded better but really not as clear as on youtube...
So,
what's happening here?
Perhaps I need to tune it?

So, I did... And yeah... Some strings were really off by standing in a box for a week in the hallway... Tuned it.. and man o man......... What a sound!!!!!!! It's pitch clear.. Beautiful..

I can't play for xx--xx so you guys really have to wait for that. I now hear everything I do wrong on the acoustic thats being "allowed" by the acoustic" so lots of learning to do but this one is FUN.

Perhaps I need to buy a second Yamaha for downstairs so I don't have to bring both downstairs every night  ;D
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2021, 10:34:39 am »
Congratulations and Happy Birthday.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2021, 12:35:37 pm »
That's a birthday to remember! And the music journey is only about to start! Never forget to have fun!

Happy birthday sir!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2021, 02:17:10 pm »
Happy birthday, happy NAD, happy NGD
:) :) :)

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2021, 03:01:36 pm »
Hi Justme,

Just a couple of things you might want to think about down the line:

1. You are totally in love with the sound of this guitar (and you cant even play anything but all open chords, some power chords, some scales.... and a bit of Hey Joe). You never had that with the acoustic you have. It's an amazing feeling to have such a high class thing to play around with. And don't forget, it's okay to be a bit distracted from work. It's been a crazy xx--xx year. Don't feel bad about playing here and there.

2. Powerchords are very cool to practice. I would never have really enjoyed that on an acoustic

3. Which brings me to the following point: Yes, there are some acoustic songs you enjoy (Eric clapton, Some Keith Richards and blues), but your love has been with electric. At some point I am sure you will buy a decent quality acoustic because, well, you love buying stuff, but man.. I am really looking forward now to learn to play blues on the electric.

4. WARNING: Don't get lost in all the effects, pedals, amps.. etc etc etc... For the next 10(???) years, please focus mostly on just becoming the best guitarist you can become. Everything with a cable on it, you want to have.. no matter if it's in the kitchen, garden or living room so you found a very dangerous hobby here. Set yourself goals to achieve before getting to new equipment.

5. Goes a bit against 1. , but remember this is a hobby for you. You make more then enough with what you do professionally. So, don't xx--xx your job up because you feel like you need to practice "more". It's a hobby.

6. You really love your family. They are awesome.

7. The action of the acoustic must be crazy. F chord has never been so easy.
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2021, 03:52:11 pm »
The action of the acoustic must be crazy. F chord has never been so easy.
The best thing to do is to have a look to see if you might be able to adjust it yourself, there’s some really good information about how to one YouTube. For example, this:

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2021, 04:14:23 pm »

3. Which brings me to the following point: Yes, there are some acoustic songs you enjoy (Eric clapton, Some Keith Richards and blues), but your love has been with electric. At some point I am sure you will buy a decent quality acoustic because, well, you love buying stuff, but man.. I am really looking forward now to learn to play blues on the electric.

6. You really love your family. They are awesome.

I've done a ton of career counseling. New kids all want to be CEO tomorrow. I tell them 1 - Spend 3-5 years perfecting your craft. If you get really good you won't have to ask for promotions - people will come looking for you.

After 3 years think about Alice in Wonderland.  Alice comes to the fork in the road and asks the cat, "What road should I take?" The cat replies, "Where are you going?" and Alice says, "I don't know."  To which the cat replies, "Then it doesn't matter what road you take..."

So acoustic, electric, piles of distortion pedals, blah, blah, blah... If you haven't figured out where you wanna go then it makes no matter.  The electric blues path is awesome and leads to Rock & Roll and beyond.

And if'n you are headed to Electric blues let's keep each other motivated --> I'm headed that way too...

And as for family -->  Number 1 but we all hafta enjoy the journey.  In know too many guys that say, "When I retire I'm gonna.  And then 2 years after retiring they are planted... Make time for both...

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2021, 04:21:52 pm »
I am def heading that direction. I have never been a massive rock fan. I have a hiphop and r&b background. So perhaps soul might be the thing, or funk. But blues, there is where I enjoy guitar the most, and The Rolling Stones which is a combination of blues and rock n roll.
Rock is just missing the roll.

The Black Keys. Keith Richards, Clapton, John Mayer etc
Black Sabbath is awesome but would never want to play like that even if it’s one of my go tos when I work out.

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 05:38:28 pm »
Listening and playing are two different things. I'll listen to anything and on board the stuff I like.  I periodically ping my 31 y/o brother's playlist in the car and see what the "kids" are into.

I'll even listen to my 23 y/o kid's playlist (to see what the "Babies" are up to) but it's mostly wanna be OG formula rap crap... I like some of the real OG stuff straight outta Compton, like. Those guys had real pain and frustration to get out. I grew up near Compton and was actually in a drive by shooting there in my early 20's.  There's parts of East LA I won't venture near...

My kid's pulled more from my playlist than me from him, for sure...

I love Veruca Salt and there a couple of "Eagles of Death Metal" tracks I might wanna play some day.  Those dudes are hilarious. I like the early freaks a lot - Alice Cooper, Zeppelin, Meatloaf, the Ramones (of course), Beck.

Other freaks I have on my list are the B-52's & Devo

People who ride with me for a while are pretty freaked out that I have everything on shuffle from John Lee Hooker through Metallica - LOL... Just take the movie school of rock and add like 900 songs of varying genre...

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 05:48:47 pm »
Other freaks I have on my list are the B-52's
Oh man!!!
You just reminded me of a mega ear worm, Love shack 😂😂😂

Offline willsie01

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 13
  • Campfire Strummer wannabe
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2021, 06:30:22 pm »
I'm pretty confused!
And I know the reason is JustMe!  ;D

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2021, 09:01:02 pm »
- on a meta level: where will this hobby take me?

I think you'll be surprised, challenged, proud and delighted as you live dreams you haven't even had yet.  :)
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2021, 08:58:22 am »
question I might laugh about later because i dont know what i dont know: I am almost 40 and just started, can i become as good as John Mayer with 1-2 hours of practice a day?

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2021, 09:30:56 am »
....can i become as good as John Mayer with 1-2 hours of practice a day?
You can become the very best you can. 😃
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
My road case :- https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2021, 09:33:16 am »
That is always true :)
I find "talent" and "hard work" a massively interesting subject. So again, naive thinking here, but, let's say I have MASSIVE talent but I just never picked up the guitar EVER in my life. Now I am standing next to Buddy guy and Eric Clapton soloing.

Is that even possible on a scale from 0 to 100%?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:59:41 am by JustMe123456 »

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2021, 09:58:19 am »
....and all of a sudden, within 20 years....
I think that’s called an oxymoron. 😉

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2021, 09:59:22 am »
lol *changed

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2021, 10:01:31 am »
You’ve got 20 years. I’m 67 today so I may not have! 😂

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2021, 10:12:54 am »
I could die today, you could become 105 :)
we never know.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2021, 10:21:00 am »
You’ve got 20 years. I’m 67 today so I may not have! 😂
Happy birthday Gordon, hope you have a great day!

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2021, 10:23:25 am »
Happy birthday Gordon, hope you have a great day!

He didn't say it was his birthday! :) Is it? Congrats!

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2021, 10:56:34 am »
Thanks guys.  Yes and they’ve even given me a slice of cake on my profile page!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App