Author Topic: One more person seeking amp recommendatins  (Read 2406 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
One more person seeking amp recommendatins
« on: January 14, 2021, 02:08:11 am »
I'm ready to buy an amp for my guitar. Over the past few weeks I've been reading the threads here, as well as reading reviews and info about amps. I'm now so completely overwhelmed by the information and choices I don't know what to do.

HALP  :-\ :-\ :-\

The few facts I can offer you:

Guitar                          
G&L Tribute Fallout
Budget                       
around AUD500, could go a bit higher
Use       
Mostly in my music room, but I'd like the amp to have the potential to do an Open Mic or small gig including the highly unlikely possibility of playing with a band in a small venue (dream on Maggie). On the Katana 50 and 100 thread there's talk about a looper. I can't see myself wanting to do any more than play/practice and record into my DAW via my Scarlett 2i2 AI. I don't want my ignorance to limit me though. I also don't want complicated things. My head will burst.  ;D
Type of music I play
Hard to answer this question. I don't know, I'm still exploring genres. Indie, Blues, Soul, Rock, Country Rock
Added bonus 
Would be if I could plug my acoustic into it.
Weight
I can lift 10kg into and out of the car easily, could probably manage a few more kg, but no more than 15kg.

From what I've read I've drawn these conclusions:

Valve amp. Beautiful sound, but the price range and the volume at which one plays them to get the best effect is waaaaaay too much for my use. I also don't have the necessary skills to maintain/repair them. I've been using a borrowed Marshall Valvestate 40V Model 8040 and I adore the sound.

Modelling amp  I'm not keen about having to learn to program all the menus,  functions etc. Learning how to use a DAW is taking up enough of my brain.

Solid State  I think this is the way to go?

The guy who sold me my G&L highly recommended a Roland JC40, but it's almost AUD1000. I think I can get something good for less, or am I deluded? A Boss Katana 50 has been recommended by a friend who gigs.

Thankyou wise ones  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:45:28 am by batwoman »
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
Re: One more person seeking amp recommendatins
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 03:19:03 am »
No single amp will do. Plan on getting at least one really nice SS emulation amp and at least one really nice tube amp. A good DAW with amp sims is good to have too. Heck, get some little pocket amps as well!

The SS amp with decent presets and amp sims will get your ears engaged. You need to explore the Vox, Fender, & Marshall tones at a minimum. That's bedrock. From there the tube amp you want will become known to you. Just know that there are reasonably priced pre-amp pedals to give you the Fender-Marshall-Vox tones in a clean amp of any make. Play with tone, find your tone. Good luck! 

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 03:59:15 am »
No single amp will do. Plan on getting at least one really nice SS emulation amp and at least one really nice tube amp. A good DAW with amp sims is good to have too. Heck, get some little pocket amps as well!

The SS amp with decent presets and amp sims will get your ears engaged. You need to explore the Vox, Fender, & Marshall tones at a minimum. That's bedrock. From there the tube amp you want will become known to you. Just know that there are reasonably priced pre-amp pedals to give you the Fender-Marshall-Vox tones in a clean amp of any make. Play with tone, find your tone. Good luck!

Thanks for your input Clint. One amp is enough for me.   I'll have to read up on what a pre-amp pedal is. No clue about that at all.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 04:51:14 am »
Get thee to Youtube and check out the Joyo American Sound. It's a Fender amp in a pedal. Just about every Fender amp tone for cheap. Joyo has Vox & Marshall plexi pedals out there as well. So your one amp (which ever you choose) can be extended affordably with these pedals. That said, a tube amp (valve amp to some) is kind of an epiphany to many players (like me) - can't imagine not not having my little MP15W (it's on the Marshall side of town as a Chinese made Laney clone). I can get Fender tones out of anything including my PA system with the Joyo American Sound.

This guy nailed all of the Fender tones in this video:

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 05:11:31 am »
I would suggest the Orange Crush 35RT, it’s a great simple to use amp! It has very good classic sounds and isn’t too heavy at 11kg.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-amps/solid-state-digital-amps/solid-state-digital-combos/orange-crush-35rt-guitar-amplifier-combo
I’m pretty sure that you could play acoustic through the clean channel but at the price of it (approx $320) if it doesn’t work out it may be possible to pick up a used acoustic combo for a sensible price.

There’s very little stuff to learn to use it compared to amps like the Fender Mustang series or Boss Katana in fact any amp that has built in effects. It’s designed to simulate the famous Orange tube amps and doesn’t make a bad job of it. It also has a good clean sound that’s better than the real valve amps, one of the advantages of being solid state.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:16:08 pm by DarrellW »

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 106
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 07:27:55 am »

From what I've read I've drawn these conclusions:

Valve amp. Beautiful sound, but the price range and the volume at which one plays them to get the best effect is waaaaaay too much for my use. I also don't have the necessary skills to maintain/repair them. I've been using a borrowed Marshall Valvestate 40V Model 8040 and I adore the sound.

Modelling amp  I'm not keen about having to learn to program all the menus,  functions etc. Learning how to use a DAW is taking up enough of my brain.

Solid State  I think this is the way to go?

Given your weight requirement and need for simplicity, a SS would be ideal. A Vox Pathfinder 15w will do what you need, except hang with a band - depends on the type of band. But they aren't easy to find anymore. Why Vox discontinued these, I don't know, I guess they were eating into their modeling sales too much, and cost too little.

Vox AC4 is a 4W tube that will attenuate for home use, and the 4w will do open mics. Simple, sounds good, light.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 08:43:12 am »
SS amp all the way (btw this term applies to anything but a tube amp really - it's a modelling amp I guess if it allows you to emulate specific other amps). Personally for your requirements I'd go with something like a Katana. I own a Katana and it just works. The controls on the amp itself are simple, you only have a small number of "channels" e.g. clean, crunch etc. to pick from and then tweaking that sound can easily be done using gain, volume and equaliser. From the amp controls itself it'll allow you to add a limited number of effects...a modulation e.g. chorus, overdrive, reverb and delay. That's in all honesty all you need and the Katana just sounds good. For your potential gigging it's got ample volume (probably even the 50). IF (and it's a big IF) you really want to dive into pedal FX then you can start using the Tone studio on your PC/laptop to do that BUT in all honesty you don't need to.

The choice between 50 and 100 AND why a looper is mentioned is because it's only on the 100 that there is FX loop and you really need that if you want to use a looper and have the option to record loops with different FX etc. The argument seems to go that BOSS made the 100 and THEN took some things away to make the 50 and a cheaper entry point to the market.

I've not been in the market for a little while so there may be other amps similar to the Katana now...but it still seems to get plenty of praise both here and on other forums/groups.

Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 09:20:52 am »
Not forgetting that the Katana will also work well with an acoustic guitar.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 11:07:12 am »
Just for info only:

Boss Katana 100
Weight: 14.8 kg
Dimensions (W x D x H): 530 x 248 x 484 mm

Boss Katana 50
Weight: 11.6 kg
Dimensions (W x D x H): 470 x 238 x 398 mm

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 11:14:01 am »
I have Katana 50, besides the power output additional perk that 100 has over 50 which I found out after the purchase is that you have fx loop input so you can play different effects on the looper and as a lead. On 50 you can only play the same effect at once but since you are not that much into loopers and modelling I think 50 will be more than enough. You might have some minor issues with setting it up with your pc but if it comes to that I'm glad to help ;)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 11:21:56 am »
I have Katana 50, besides the power output additional perk that 100 has over 50 which I found out after the purchase is that you have fx loop input so you can play different effects on the looper and as a lead. On 50 you can only play the same effect at once but since you are not that much into loopers and modelling I think 50 will be more than enough. You might have some minor issues with setting it up with your pc but if it comes to that I'm glad to help ;)

I think one of the big advantages of the Katana over some other modelling amps is that it's not trying to emulate specific amps . It's just a SS Boss amp with some very good channels (as Keith said including an acoustic one) and one where if you really don't want to you don't have to start messing with it on your PC/Laptop. Sure you get a lot if you do BUT if that's not your bag then use it as it comes.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 69
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 11:27:56 am »
Absolutely couldn't agree with you more, even if you are not into modelling on a pc channels on their own give you amazing versatility - and I am sure when someone is amazed by a changed tone of a channel what stops the person to move some knobs around and get something completely else? :)

Offline R.F.W.

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 01:52:45 pm »
The Katana is a good choice especially if you want the option to plug your acoustic in as well.

Some other options to consider-
Boss also do a nextone version which is suppose to replicate a tube amp. I never tested, but I considered it before buying my tube amp. Also there is a fender mustang GTX 50 which is more of a modelling amp.

If you decide to go tube then there are options that are 5w with the option to switch to 0.5 or 1w. (Blackster 5ht-r, marshall dsl20c)

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 04:29:03 pm »
Type of music I play
Hard to answer this question. I don't know, I'm still exploring genres. Indie, Blues, Soul, Rock, Country Rock
This speaks to the need for an SS amp with lots of options. It can be overload at first, but it gets you on the path toward finding your own voice and/or the tone you already have in your head. The Katanas, Fenders and such typically have settings that can approximate the classic Fender-Marshall-Vox tones that make up the majority of guitar tracks that many of us grew up with.

I'm still super high on my Fender Mustang I v.2 (SS modeling amp), it's dated now since the Fuse software is harder to find. Anything that gets me a Fender tweed and '65 Twin Reverb tone is going to be OK. You can draw your own conclusions as you play around with tone.

Note: My little 15W monoprice tube amp attenuates down to 1W, and retails for around $250 US (Thomann has the same amp which is a rebranded version of the monoprice rebrand of a Laney amp). That said, this would not be my choice for a first amp.

Good luck!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 06:44:26 pm »
Hey CT my FIRST amp was the Fender Mustang 1 v2 and very good it was too...BUT the Katana is way way better in all respects. The Mustang 1 really was a bedroom practice amp and nothing wrong with that. It was the leading SS amp of the day and the amp models in particular very good ( FX not so much). Fender dropped the ball a little with their later incarnations although I think they’ve improved recently. The Katana is just solid and definitely geared up for performance if you want.

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 07:34:38 pm »
I'd recommend a Katana, to start off with. The 50 is fine, but in my opinion the 100 is worth it if you want to use the GA-FC footswitch with it (can be very useful if you play open mics or with a band), or if you need the effects loop (e.g., for a looper).

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 10:58:50 pm »
After hearing the sad news of Hilts/Dave's sudden death, it's reminded me how important it is  to tell people I love them and I care about them. I don't want the regret that goes with leaving heart deep things unsaid.

As I read through all your helpful comments this morning, I felt such a wave of love, appreciation and care for every one of you. You've become friends. Thankyou for your kindness, generosity in sharing knowledge, being there to celebrate with me. Thankyou for your friendship. I value our connections so very much.  :-*

Specifically thankyou for your suggestions.  What you've said is really helpful and clarifying. I'll follow them up.  My ignorance and a mind that resists learning tech stuff is a real impediment to growth and progress. Not a good attitude at all. I realize I must keep an open mind as I follow up your suggestions.

Many thanks, for so much.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • YouTube
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 03:57:17 am »
Don't beat yourself up too much Maggie. Your heart is in the right place. Folks come and go, it's hard to not wonder sometimes. I meant to ask about Hilts months ago and didn't get around to it until a discussion about Gordon Lightfoot popped up. He was always so supportive of Canadian artists.   

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 186
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 08:11:44 am »
After hearing the sad news of Hilts/Dave's sudden death, it's reminded me how important it is  to tell people I love them and I care about them. I don't want the regret that goes with leaving heart deep things unsaid.

As I read through all your helpful comments this morning, I felt such a wave of love, appreciation and care for every one of you. You've become friends. Thankyou for your kindness, generosity in sharing knowledge, being there to celebrate with me. Thankyou for your friendship. I value our connections so very much.  :-*

Specifically thankyou for your suggestions.  What you've said is really helpful and clarifying. I'll follow them up.  My ignorance and a mind that resists learning tech stuff is a real impediment to growth and progress. Not a good attitude at all. I realize I must keep an open mind as I follow up your suggestions.

Many thanks, for so much.

Maggie

Yes we are one big family here and those who depart will always be with us.

Connected by the invisible ether that holds the internet together, we stand on the same terra firma despite the miles and oceans between us and we are bound by our passion of a lump of wood and a few strands of metal and the noise they makes.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. When you get your noisy black box (generic non technical description as it might be brown or Orange  ;D ;D ) don't fret worry about how it works. Cable up turn on and rock. Make some noise and start twiddling knobs you'll soon find what is sweet and what is sour, let your ear be that technical manual. Just enjoy but open the windows and doors before maxing the volume !!!!  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 11:24:36 am »
Just enjoy but open the windows and doors before maxing the volume !!!!  8)

ha ha ha I find tremendous pleasure in opening the windows whilst playing! we're on the main through road through the village so it gets plenty of walking traffic.. nothing like seeing people go by, clock the music and start looking around for the source!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 02:32:28 am »
When you get your noisy black box (generic non technical description as it might be brown or Orange  ;D ;D ) don't fret worry about how it works. Cable up turn on and rock. Make some noise and start twiddling knobs you'll soon find what is sweet and what is sour, let your ear be that technical manual. Just enjoy but open the windows and doors before maxing the volume !!!!  8)

Now you're talkin' my language Toby Jenner.  ;D 8)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2021, 02:33:06 am »
ha ha ha I find tremendous pleasure in opening the windows whilst playing! we're on the main through road through the village so it gets plenty of walking traffic.. nothing like seeing people go by, clock the music and start looking around for the source!

;D ;D ;D

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 06:36:36 am »
After working my way through your suggestions, I think it's going to be a Boss Katana 50. Justin has a module on this amp so that sweetens the deal, as does Adrian's generous offer to help me should I run into trouble. I thought a lot about the 100, but the extra weight would make it harder for me to lift it into the car and I could spend a lifetime going down rabbit holes chasing all the fancy things it does.

I jus' wanna play gitar!

I'll give it a day or so before I make my final decision.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 06:59:31 am »
After working my way through your suggestions, I think it's going to be a Boss Katana 50. Justin has a module on this amp so that sweetens the deal, as does Adrian's generous offer to help me should I run into trouble. I thought a lot about the 100, but the extra weight would make it harder for me to lift it into the car and I could spend a lifetime going down rabbit holes chasing all the fancy things it does.

Well, the "fancy things" on the Katana 50 and the 100 are mostly the same. The only major differences (other than the power output) are the FX send/return connectors, more patch memories, and ability to use the GA-FC footswitch.

Of course, the weight is a big factor, and it makes sense from that point of view.

The good news is, the Katana  50 and 100 being, basically, identical from settings point of view means that anyone with a Katana 100 can help you too, so add me to that list (although I have the MkI version, and the MkII has a few additional capabilities).

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:35:19 am by Majik »

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 186
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 07:22:29 am »
Sounds like a well thought out decision, so get it bought and get rockin.  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Get The Forum As A Mobile App