Author Topic: song countdown on the intro not long enough for beginners  (Read 354 times)

Offline edward777123

• Good Vibes 0
song countdown on the intro not long enough for beginners
« on: January 13, 2021, 03:52:05 pm »
in the app i wish the song intro countdown was longer,, by this i mean by the time iv tapped the phone screen to start , got guitar in position and formed first chord the song has counted down and playalong started. As this is aimed at newbies a littla longer would be better.  I do LOVE the app / and maybe this is just my problem... what do people think
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:17:32 pm by close2u »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: song countdown
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 03:59:41 pm »
This is why some of us are not keen on the app, if you have a partner could they start it for you?
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Online stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 239
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 04:00:07 pm »
Get your guitar comfortable, form the first chord with your fingers on the fret board
Then press start.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 04:01:48 pm »
Get your guitar comfortable, form the first chord with your fingers on the fret board
Then press start.
Doh why didn’t I think of that, suppose that I’m used to getting her indoors to start my backing tracks 😂
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 05:16:45 pm »
Point taken and I will pass it on.

In the mean time, there is nothing wrong with letting the song run for a little so you catch the groove and tempo.
You can at least be nodding your head, tapping your feet, counting the betas 1, 2, 3, 4 etc to get your whole mind and body ready.

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
  • SoCal Transplant to Dayton Ohio
Re: song countdown on the intro not long enough for beginners
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 07:09:39 pm »
I agree 100% with the OP. I have figured out to get the first chord ready but...

A 2 bar count in would be much better. You get 4 beats to get your tapping foot going and on a high tempo song you are launched like a space shuttle. It can take 4 bars just to get the tempo right.

Also in Playlist after the song it automatically rolls into the next song - would be awesome to be able to choose to stop, choose to pause before starting the next song or to loop the one song I am trying to nail.
New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang 2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 08:05:38 pm »
Point taken and I will pass it on.
FWIW it would be nice to have an adjustable start timer for the track to start automatically after your personal count in has ended; I’ve just today found something that should work on Linux, not tried it yet but it’s on my hit list!

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 10:23:08 pm »
I do tend to agree, it is quite hard to quickly get the rhythm whilst also moving your hand away from the app and on to your guitar.

A single bar count in is very normal, I used to play bass and keyboard in a band, the drummer only ever gave us a single bar of clicks on the sticks and we were off.   I think it’s probably something you need to learn to get used to to prepare you for playing with others.

I don’t know if the app gives one bar by design, but the more I think about it, I think it makes sense.

Offline edward777123

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 09:44:43 pm »
EX-CALIFs  countdown idea of 2 bars would be good as lke he says it take a while to catch up with the  high BPM song

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 10:01:01 pm »
Tru dat Growling Dog (love the handle BTW) but it is a beginner's aid. We are forming chords, thinking about strumming, getting a leg going and launching.

At least on stage someone says, "this is a little song we wrote, hope you like it, yada, yada yada..." (while the band is swigging whiskey). Then everyone looks at each other and forms the first chord and someone nods their head. Only then the drummer (usually) claps the sticks. Or Mick Jagger says, "1, 2, 3, 4..."

Offline GrowlingDog

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 14
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 10:05:59 pm »
I have put the suggestion in as part of feedback on the next version of the app that the intros could be longer.

Offline rwoodlin

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Hands of brick
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 01:13:14 pm »
Part of the learning curve is being able to come in on beat one after a one bar count.  Keep at it, it will come.  When I attempt a new song I try to listen to it all the way through so I have some idea of the changes.  Then form the first chord, push play and off I go.  Usually takes a few attempts before I nail coming in on beat 1.
You might consider having a go at Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers.  The fist chord is played after the first bar of the song so you actually get a longer lead time.
Regards,
Robert

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 172
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 01:33:27 pm »
Try listening to the song before you start to play it. Let it run through once maybe twice. Get into the beat, start tapping your foot, move your body, "feel" the tempo and internalise it. Maybe sit with the guitar on your lap, strapped and ready for action, let you strumming hand move with the groove. Do all this while getting ready to play with it, have that 1 2 3 4 on a loop in your head and body. Own it and keep it going mentally as you set about cue it ready to play it 1234 put phone/tablet down 1224 reachable 1234 visualise the song 1234 put your fingers on that first chord 234 check pick 34 deep breath 123 hit play 4 and count 1 2 3 4 and off you go. Sorted.

Or just put it on a loop, assume the app does that if not why not ? Assume start position chord and pick. Repeat above through round one, mind focused on the beat. Ding ding end of round one and we're off.

You'll get there folks and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 01:48:44 pm »
Good point ...

@ App users ...

Does the app have a 'repeat play' feature?

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 02:20:54 pm »
@C2U - No that is another feature request I have in.

If you pick the song in Playground mode it runs and stops. If you pick the song in Playlist mode it automatically rolls to the next song in the list. You then have to stop "that next" song exit back to the playlist list and reload the song you are working on.

But rolling on is actually a decent feature. I am working on two songs.  I am trying to get to the point where I can play them back to back. Eventually I would like to be able to string 3-5 songs in a row. Switching gears to the next song without a pause is really challenging. Another reason a pause or a 2 bar count would be cool...

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 172
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 02:32:27 pm »
That's pretty pants then. You'd think that a loop would be a basic function.  :o
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Get The Forum As A Mobile App