Author Topic: First practice amp for Hagström Ultra Max  (Read 409 times)

Offline Henric

• Good Vibes 0
First practice amp for Hagström Ultra Max
« on: January 10, 2021, 05:41:58 pm »
Hi all!

I'm a fledgling guitar player, trying to be somwhat serious about learning now that I've passed 40. I'm up to lesson 6 on Justins beginner course (I knew most chords beforehand, but wanted to get a solig foundation and started from scratch).

Since I've resolved to actually learning, I got myself a new Hagström UltraMax that will be delivered tomorrow, and I also bought myself 12 physical lesson (Wuhan virus permitting...). The guitarr I asked about here a while back, but due to a mistake when registering my account had to be deleted before I could ask about the amps. :)

So, impatient as I am I have to go grab a practice amp from the local music store tomorrow, and I'm sticking to what they have in stock to get playing as soon as the Hagström is delivered.

They have the following options that I'm considering:

Blackstar ID CORE 10 V2 STEREO BLACK

Boss Katana Mini (cheapest of the lot, but that's without a/c adapter)

Vox Mini5 Rhythm

Vox mini3-G2

Vox VT20X

Any input appreciated!

I will be playing at home for practice with this, so headphone jack is a must. Otherwise I'm flexible.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: First practice amp for Hagström Ultra Max
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 06:17:17 pm »
I would go for the Blackstar if it were me, the Blackstar team are mostly ex Marshal so their design is a decent amp for Rock and the Hagström being a LP alike I’m guessing that you’re into Rock. Any of them are OK, it’s personal preference; I do have a Blackstar amp so maybe I could be a bit biased!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 640
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 06:20:09 pm »
Hi Henric.
Welcome back.
Seems you've got yourself a fine guitar coming.
And kudos for going back to first principles to make sure your learning progress is secure and solid.
Of those amps I have had a ID:Core 20 a Katana Mini, a Vox DA5 (precursor to their mini5) and Vox AD15 (earlier version of the VT20).

I place your picks in two categories .... my I and small.

Of the mini, the Katana is the pick though has only one effect to use (delay).

Of the small I think the ID:CORE stands out. Great sound from twin speakers and enough sounds / effects to keep you happy.

Either would be a good pick. For a few bucks more the ID:CORE would be my first choice.

Offline Henric

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 06:21:35 pm »
@DarrellW

Yeah, I was leaning towards the Blackstar, so a solid shout! Yes, I imagine quite a bit och rock (and some Iron Maiden  ;D).

Thank you!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:46:17 pm by close2u »

Offline Henric

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 06:24:37 pm »
@close2u
Thanks, and thank you for helping out with my old account!

Yup, I have always kind of flagged in my guitar interest because I sometime lack the ability to set my own structure and procedures.

Now I got started with Justins course, and will follow up with the in person lessons. This time I WILL learn.  :D

Yeah, almost convinced it will be the ID Core tomorrow. Really keen on trying the guitar out!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:45:58 pm by close2u »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App