Author Topic: Yamaha thr5 vs thr10ii  (Read 1082 times)

Offline essian

• Good Vibes 0
Yamaha thr5 vs thr10ii
« on: January 10, 2021, 09:21:47 am »
I'm a beginner looking for a small, good looking practice amp for playing fairly quietly in my living room. Longer term I want to play pop, indie, indie-folk type stuff.

Would the thr5 do the trick? I like it because it's smaller, cheaper, less obtrusive and I think it looks better, but I'll go for the 10 if it's going to sound way better (at fairly low volumes) than the thr5.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Yamaha thr5 vs thr10ii
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 09:41:20 am »
The THR10 has other advantages apart from the extra power, some of which you may not need. Both will be good at bedroom volume the THR10 may sound a bit better but that’s debatable. Look at the detailed specifications and look at the differences. The comparison should tell you which would be best for you; if you’re unsure about certain features get back to us and we will explain.

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 11:31:18 am »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:57:51 am by sairfingers »
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline essian

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 12:04:01 pm »
Cool thanks both! I don't need much in the way of features right now, so it sounds like the 5 will work out fine.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 12:15:14 pm »
I should point out that Yamaha have recently refreshed their THR line and the new "mark II" versions are only available in the THR 10 and THR 30 models.

Of course the THR 5 is still available in many stockists.

Why should you care? Because the THR 10 mkII (or THR-II 10 as they call it) includes Bluetooth streaming. This is great for two reasons:

1. It turns the THR-II 10 into a Bluetooth speaker, which you can use to play music, podcasts, etc.

2. It allows you to stream backing tracks from Spotify, Youtube, or apps like Guitar Pro, Beatz, Music Speed Changer, etc. whch is really useful for practice and jamming.

Of course, if you are happy to put up with a cable, the THR5 has an aux input that you can connect the headphone output from a phone or tablet to play audio. Or you may already have a Bluetooth speaker.

But just pointing this out as it's an option you may have missed or may have not realized the benefit of.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 12:27:08 pm »
Before you push the button take a look at this, I do like the THR and may get one some time but this to me possibly looks a nice option!
https://www.andertons.co.uk/roland-cube-lite-%28black%29-desktop-guitar-amp-%28with-icube-link-and-iphone-app%29-cubelitebk

Bear in mind that only works with the iPhone/iPad (with a proprietary cable) which could be a deal killer for some.

The other one to consider in this price range is the Positive Grid Spark amp. It's been massively overhyped and (mis)represented on the Internet as "revolutionary", which it really isn't. But it's a pretty good practice amp for the money.

Oh, and @essian, welcome to the forums!

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 01:16:19 pm »
I deleted the post Keith, it’s listed as not in stock with 3 months plus delivery date so possibly becoming unavailable. Shame because it looked OK

Offline essian

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 02:23:08 pm »

Interesting - I hadn't seen the positive grid, and for some reason I'd dismissed the Roland, though it looks good too. I'm not so interested in the apps and backing tracks - for now I want to keep it simple with great sound, a couple of modelling options and something that'll look good in the living room.

Assuming the sound on the thr5 is as good or better than any other (more or less), I'll go for that one. I hadn't realised it didn't work as a bluetooth speaker so I appreciate you pointing that out, but at the same time, I don't think I really need it to right now.

Thanks again!

Offline essian

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 10:47:39 am »
Just to update...

My guitar and amp arrived a couple of days ago and I absolutely love them. The THR5 is perfect for me as a living room beginner. It does everything I need it to as well as a whole bunch of stuff I don't understand yet :P I love that it's so small, it looks super cool and understated and to my ears it sounds amazing.

Maybe I'll want to upgrade one day, but for now I'm 100% happy with my choice. Yay!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 11:40:47 am »
@essian, that’s great, now get learning and enjoy! 😎

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 192
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 12:58:45 pm »
Just to update...

My guitar and amp arrived a couple of days ago and I absolutely love them. The THR5 is perfect for me as a living room beginner. It does everything I need it to as well as a whole bunch of stuff I don't understand yet :P I love that it's so small, it looks super cool and understated and to my ears it sounds amazing.

Maybe I'll want to upgrade one day, but for now I'm 100% happy with my choice. Yay!

Happy NGD and
Happy NAD (guess we needed a separate acronym for Amps as so many folks are buying them).

Now plug in crank up and make some noise !! 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Get The Forum As A Mobile App