Author Topic: Heroes -David Bowie play along  (Read 1066 times)

Offline kingundead1777

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Heroes -David Bowie play along
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 03:04:35 pm »
That sounded better, Kingsuk, specifically in terms of our ability to hear your play.

But I'd suggest keep working at trying to record while playing with the original as there is lots of value to be gained from that exercise. I see the amp has a line-in to allow you to play mp3s through the amp to play over. I think if you tinker with the BT vol vs guitar vol you should achieve an effective balance.

I don't know what settings you dialled in on the amp. It may also help to hear most clearly if the OD is not engaged and you limit the gain, achieving a clear tone. Of course still fun to rock out with OD and gain turned up a bit, just suggesting the cleaner tones for recordings made to share progress with the Forum for now.

Keep it up, you are making fine progress!!
Sure

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2021, 06:39:08 pm »

On your amp you have a line out. That would go into an AI nicely. You should for sure look at a 2 channel Focusrite AI.

Not sure if that is in response to my question but my amp (small and cheap) only has a headphone socket out. Can I plug this into my pc?

Also what do you mean by AI?

Sent from my SM-G930F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline kingundead1777

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 07:03:31 pm »

Not sure if that is in response to my question but my amp (small and cheap) only has a headphone socket out. Can I plug this into my pc?

AI- Audio interface. I think to connect your amp directly to the pc your amp must have an usb port but most beginner amplifiers don't have that.

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
  • SoCal Transplant to Dayton Ohio
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2021, 08:52:50 pm »
That was awesome great job!

Just a question because I don't know.  Are you intentionally not doing the last up strum after the 4 beat. I notice that because it really makes your chord changes clean.

But then I noticed at one point it appeared you held a  D chord for 8 beats and at the end of the first bar it seemed like you hit the last upstroke.

3-U-4-miss versus
3-U-4-U

Your chords and changes are very clean...

I am doing a lot of strumming practice right now and would be curious to know your thought process.

Based on your cover I'm gonna add heroes to my play list - I can't sing bowie but I like the chord mix. It's focused on the second half of grade one.  I forget the names but I am also adding every song with the "dreaded" F chord in it.  I am still having trouble with mini-F...
New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang 2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 09:04:25 pm »

Hi,
According to this https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/products/lt-echo-15 you have a balanced line out. It would be a 1/4" phono jack. If in the EU I think that would be 6.55mm. I don't know what you have for a PC, but even if you could plug into the PC from that jack, the quality could be marginal at best. You may have a balanced line in on your PC and if so that would work ok. Better though, would be an AI, or Audio Interface. You could plug your amp directly into the AI and should get great results. An AI will set you back some dough, but is worth it in the long run. Here is a link to an AI I would recommend: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=focusrite+scarlett+2i2.

If you can get the above and a cable, many on here would help you out getting set up to record your guitar. For about $100 USD you could also get a mic and plug that into the AI as well.

I hope the above helps and ask if you do not understand.
Rock on!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline stuartw

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2021, 11:16:57 pm »
Hi,
According to this https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/products/lt-echo-15 you have a balanced line out. It would be a 1/4" phono jack. If in the EU I think that would be 6.55mm. I don't know what you have for a PC, but even if you could plug into the PC from that jack, the quality could be marginal at best. You may have a balanced line in on your PC and if so that would work ok. Better though, would be an AI, or Audio Interface. You could plug your amp directly into the AI and should get great results. An AI will set you back some dough, but is worth it in the long run. Here is a link to an AI I would recommend: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=focusrite+scarlett+2i2.

If you can get the above and a cable, many on here would help you out getting set up to record your guitar. For about $100 USD you could also get a mic and plug that into the AI as well.

I hope the above helps and ask if you do not understand.
Rock on!
LB
It does indeed and many thanks for the help and information. Given me something to think about.

Offline kingundead1777

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2021, 03:05:59 am »
That was awesome great job!

Just a question because I don't know.  Are you intentionally not doing the last up strum after the 4 beat. I notice that because it really makes your chord changes clean.

But then I noticed at one point it appeared you held a  D chord for 8 beats and at the end of the first bar it seemed like you hit the last upstroke.

3-U-4-miss versus
3-U-4-U

Your chords and changes are very clean...

I am doing a lot of strumming practice right now and would be curious to know your thought process.

Based on your cover I'm gonna add heroes to my play list - I can't sing bowie but I like the chord mix. It's focused on the second half of grade one.  I forget the names but I am also adding every song with the "dreaded" F chord in it.  I am still having trouble with mini-F...
Yes, in the chords that have two bars (D,G,C) and (Am,Em which have one bar) I did not put an upstrum after beat 4 of the second bar as it's easier to change chords after a downstrum. There is a lesson about push strumming which talks about changing chords with the and after 4 but I am still working on that.

btw many people play this song with just downstrums I used upstrums for practice.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:23:42 am by kingundead1777 »

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2021, 11:01:39 am »
Thanks your way is really clean. In one of the videos Justin talks about doing the upstrum with open strings while making the chord change only strumming the top three-ish strings. I think I've been doing it that way subconsciously.  I kinda do what sounds good but I know my strumming needs more discipline.

I figured that out after videoing myself - Video is brutal - LOL...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2021, 11:10:57 am »
@King

The 2nd video is much better for analysis / critique by you and by others.

You've already had some great advice which I don't need to repeat.

My general observation is that you are very, very steady in rhythm now.
:)

I will add another aspect to consider: strumming dynamics.

Hitting the strings 7 times (missing the & after beat 4) then doing it again on another chord all the way through becomes very samey.
Can you slowly, in time, think about hitting some of those strums a little less hard than others.
Where is the pulse of the song?
Is it on beat 1? Beats 1 and 3?
If so, play the other strums a little softer so beats 1 and 3 sound out more and emphasise those beats.

Offline kingundead1777

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2021, 11:24:55 am »
@King

The 2nd video is much better for analysis / critique by you and by others.

You've already had some great advice which I don't need to repeat.

My general observation is that you are very, very steady in rhythm now.
:)

I will add another aspect to consider: strumming dynamics.

Hitting the strings 7 times (missing the & after beat 4) then doing it again on another chord all the way through becomes very samey.
Can you slowly, in time, think about hitting some of those strums a little less hard than others.
Where is the pulse of the song?
Is it on beat 1? Beats 1 and 3?
If so, play the other strums a little softer so beats 1 and 3 sound out more and emphasise those beats.
Yes certainly that is the next thing to focus on for sure.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 12:52:32 pm by kingundead1777 »

Offline kingundead1777

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2021, 01:01:26 pm »
Thanks your way is really clean. In one of the videos Justin talks about doing the upstrum with open strings while making the chord change only strumming the top three-ish strings. I think I've been doing it that way subconsciously.  I kinda do what sounds good but I know my strumming needs more discipline.

I figured that out after videoing myself - Video is brutal - LOL...
As soon as that record button hits I start making mistakes that I wouldn't otherwise

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 346
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2021, 01:05:31 pm »
As soon as that record button hits I start making mistakes that I wouldn't otherwise

You and many, many other folk here. I called it RLS - Red Light Syndrome - and it gets better over time but I'm still experiencing it

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 13
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2021, 01:29:15 pm »
Well - My "measurement" on myself for now is gonna be, "Can the guitarist play the song and carry the melody well enough to carry a sing along"

Precision and perfection is a journey - I don't expect to get "really good" until I have 10,000+ of practice...

Short term goal is "singalong guy."

Offline kingundead1777

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2021, 05:58:06 pm »
You and many, many other folk here. I called it RLS - Red Light Syndrome - and it gets better over time but I'm still experiencing it
Hopefully it will

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2021, 08:31:11 pm »
really well done, King. Such a great song and seems like an ideal song to play along too. solid rhythm, strumming, and good accuracy on the chords.
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Fender Blues Junior IV, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline kingundead1777

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2021, 03:05:49 am »
really well done, King. Such a great song and seems like an ideal song to play along too. solid rhythm, strumming, and good accuracy on the chords.
Thank you

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
    • YouTube
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2021, 03:31:00 pm »
This is really something solid to build on. As you move forward in your guitar journey you can add other chord voicings, play some lead lines, and generally mix things up a bit. Very nice track.   

Offline kingundead1777

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2021, 06:03:48 pm »
This is really something solid to build on. As you move forward in your guitar journey you can add other chord voicings, play some lead lines, and generally mix things up a bit. Very nice track.
Yes, plan to do that when I get an AI in the future.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App