Author Topic: I Want It That Way Acoustic Cover  (Read 911 times)

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
I Want It That Way Acoustic Cover
« on: January 08, 2021, 01:59:15 pm »
Hey guys heres another one. Oh man this song is hard to sing lol. I have it tuned way down to and it still was kinda tough. Anyways hope yall like it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS6qOoYrxx0

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 180
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: I Want It That Way Acoustic Cover
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 02:12:07 pm »
Nice one, well done! I think you coped quite well with your singing, and your playing was fine!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 03:23:34 pm »
Nice one, well done! I think you coped quite well with your singing, and your playing was fine!
Hey Darrell! Thank you very much!!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 347
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 07:19:57 am »
Wow, Bytron, you really are kicking up a gear in your playing, singing, and choosing some songs that are a step up on the simpler round-the-campfire singalongs.

Love the way you have now introduced the arpeggiated playing of the chords. That adds some excellent dynamics between verses and the chorus and bridge in this song.

The performance was excellent, nothing to nit-pick about.

Here some ideas to think about if you want to continue to build and develop on this, my 2cs worth. This based on Justin's strong message about going big on dynamics.

Perhaps you could have shifted from the muted strumming ... by the way, where do you place your palm for that mute, looks like on the actual bridge? ... to clear ringing strumming to build the chorus?

Loved the pumping 8s in the bridge. I wasn't paying attention to the chords in that section but it might be interesting to change the voicing and play the bridge using barre chords.

Those ideas would give a different feel to the three sections of the song which I think might make your great performance even better ... but maybe not ... just a thought.

Keep 'em coming, love your performances!

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 11:01:03 am »
Hi Bytron. That was great, I enjoyed the guitar style you used there. Picking, strumming and muting, it suited the song. A difficult song to sing I think as it’s pretty high and you coped well with the key change in the middle. Well done.

An interesting choice of song. I wouldn’t have thought of playing a ‘boy band’ song but it worked really well.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Online Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
  • SoCal Transplant to Dayton Ohio
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 11:05:47 am »
I always enjoy your stuff.  That was really good.  If I heard you at "band night" I would have no complaints.

You are getting really good at the dynamics. I also think this song was pretty much in your wheel house as far as range.

Just an observation that you already know probably and that is a couple of spots you got your breathing a bit off and ran out of air to sing. You guitar work is super solid and your singing is getting better and better.

I enjoyed that a lot. And isn't that they goal?
New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang I v2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer
"Learn what you need to learn when you need to learn it" - JS

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 11:34:17 am »
Wow, Bytron, you really are kicking up a gear in your playing, singing, and choosing some songs that are a step up on the simpler round-the-campfire singalongs.

Love the way you have now introduced the arpeggiated playing of the chords. That adds some excellent dynamics between verses and the chorus and bridge in this song.

The performance was excellent, nothing to nit-pick about.

Here some ideas to think about if you want to continue to build and develop on this, my 2cs worth. This based on Justin's strong message about going big on dynamics.

Perhaps you could have shifted from the muted strumming ... by the way, where do you place your palm for that mute, looks like on the actual bridge? ... to clear ringing strumming to build the chorus?

Loved the pumping 8s in the bridge. I wasn't paying attention to the chords in that section but it might be interesting to change the voicing and play the bridge using barre chords.

Those ideas would give a different feel to the three sections of the song which I think might make your great performance even better ... but maybe not ... just a thought.

Keep 'em coming, love your performances!
Thanks David!! Im glad you liked it! Yeah i need to try those out! Appreciate your input as always!!! :)

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 11:35:03 am »
Hi Bytron. That was great, I enjoyed the guitar style you used there. Picking, strumming and muting, it suited the song. A difficult song to sing I think as it’s pretty high and you coped well with the key change in the middle. Well done.

An interesting choice of song. I wouldn’t have thought of playing a ‘boy band’ song but it worked really well.
Thank you sairs! Yeah this song is the story of my life to Lol. Thank you im glad you liked it! Appreciate your comments!

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 11:37:47 am »
I always enjoy your stuff.  That was really good.  If I heard you at "band night" I would have no complaints.

You are getting really good at the dynamics. I also think this song was pretty much in your wheel house as far as range.

Just an observation that you already know probably and that is a couple of spots you got your breathing a bit off and ran out of air to sing. You guitar work is super solid and your singing is getting better and better.

I enjoyed that a lot. And isn't that they goal?
Thank you Ex!!! Yeah you caught me Lol. I do run out of breath some, I gotta work on that, probably me smoking cigs dont help haha. I know i run out of breath on the I never (wanna) hear you say part. Glad you enjoyed it! I know some songs i just sing and sound better than others for sure.

Online Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14
  • SoCal Transplant to Dayton Ohio
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 11:58:05 am »
Superstars have the luxury of a studio and unlimited takes and post production fixes to make an album.

For me the bottom line is, "Was it entertaining" and that certainly was.

Even superstars have inconsistencies from performance to performance (obviously) so, "Hey you didn't sing (or play) that like Mick Jagger at Madison Square Garden on June 15th, 2003." is pretty ,meaningless - LOL...

June 18th in Atlanta Keith Richards had a different "cocktail" on board - LOL...

I hear ya on the smoking - I am starting to struggle to go 3 minutes without having to clear my throat - LOL... Wait till I'm singing through a voice box - I'll have to switch to Electronica...

New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang I v2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer
"Learn what you need to learn when you need to learn it" - JS

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 12:12:34 pm »
Superstars have the luxury of a studio and unlimited takes and post production fixes to make an album.

For me the bottom line is, "Was it entertaining" and that certainly was.

Even superstars have inconsistencies from performance to performance (obviously) so, "Hey you didn't sing (or play) that like Mick Jagger at Madison Square Garden on June 15th, 2003." is pretty ,meaningless - LOL...

June 18th in Atlanta Keith Richards had a different "cocktail" on board - LOL...

I hear ya on the smoking - I am starting to struggle to go 3 minutes without having to clear my throat - LOL... Wait till I'm singing through a voice box - I'll have to switch to Electronica...
Haha yeah thats so true! I very rarely sing the same song the same, it always comes out a little different. Thank you im glad you thought it was entertaining! I should add a note at the end i messed up the chord progression Lol. I mean its hard to notice but you can see me switching the chords in the wrong way haha.

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 12:18:22 pm »
I should note to you David also to answer your question. Yes my palm is slightly on the bridge for palm muting. Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 12:58:53 pm by Bytron08 »

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 347
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 05:31:23 am »
I should note to you David also to answer your question. Yes my palm is slightly on the bridge for palm muting. Hope that helps!

Thanks Bytron. I shall give that a try.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 607
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 09:29:47 am »
Good stuff, nicely understated. :)

Offline adi_mrok

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 41
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 03:47:02 pm »
Really interesting cover, to be honest the tune drop is not even that noticeable, I quite enjoyed your version, it was something completely else from the original but your changes really made it interesting!

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 11:34:30 pm »
Hi,
Nice tone on your axe... Even when you play the higher strings it is still rich. Liked this one and it was well done. Keep rockin in 21!
LB
You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline oldhead49

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 157
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 02:32:12 am »
Bytron, I think that sounded good; guitar and vocal.   You make it look pretty easy!!  Nice job. 
How goes the band?   Haven't heard anything lately.  I gues COVID might be putting the brakes on the band at the moment??

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 03:19:35 pm »
Thanks you guys!! I kinda left the band because I just got a job plus the COVID has had an effect also. But maybe I’ll join in with them again one day I don’t know. She kinda went off and found a guy and has been playing with him in restaurants and such. But COVID has knocked that out as well.

Offline pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 04:26:35 pm »
Very enjoyable, Bytron. I loved the muting. Yeah, like David, I would love to try that; if I could do it. 

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 03:03:03 am »
Well done. Dug the muted strums and arpeggiated notes.

This song has always confused me. I can never really tell what the way is that the song actually wants. It seems to run around in circles with the result being that it's just the way that is wanted. Don't ask questions. Who wants heartache? Tell me why x4? It's just the way I want it, OK? LOL

Anyway, musically you posted a really nice cover track.     

Offline Bytron08

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2021, 12:02:54 pm »
Well done. Dug the muted strums and arpeggiated notes.

This song has always confused me. I can never really tell what the way is that the song actually wants. It seems to run around in circles with the result being that it's just the way that is wanted. Don't ask questions. Who wants heartache? Tell me why x4? It's just the way I want it, OK? LOL

Anyway, musically you posted a really nice cover track.   
Lol yeah thats so true. Thanks CT! :D And thank you everyone else also!!

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 01:09:47 pm »
Others have said everything already, so I will just add "good job" and that's it :D. Keep 'em coming mate!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 03:12:18 pm »
To bring things full circle, a little mystery in a song can be pretty cool, but there are so many unanswered questions in music. What was it that mama saw with me and Julio down by the school yard? What exactly is it that Hall and Oates can't go for? Just what the heck was thrown off the Tallahassee bridge anyway? What if 6 really did turn out to be 9 (this might explain some tax codes)?

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 03:56:15 pm »
The big question is ‘Alice, Alice who the **** is Alice? 😉
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 347
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 04:34:55 am »
And where is Hotel California?

Get The Forum As A Mobile App