Author Topic: Beginner Jingle Bells Chord Version  (Read 3587 times)

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
  • SoCal kid living in my RV in Florida
Beginner Jingle Bells Chord Version
« on: January 06, 2021, 11:33:29 pm »
Beginner returning Guitarist. Technically on Grade 1 L5 - Had to jump ahead and learn the chords for this.

I am 59 y/o so don't know what categories I am valid for. Wanted to get this up to proper tempo before posting but really could not get time to practice the chord changes enough.  I also had a whole production version planned but maybe next time...

The good news is I have a jump start on the rest of Grade 1.

Also first time "ever" accompanying myself singing and first time ever recording myself.  Lot's of firsts.

OK - Enough excuses. Thanks for listening and thanks to Justin for a great program.

New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang I v2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer
"Learn what you need to learn when you need to learn it" - JS

Offline adi_mrok

Re: Beginner Jingle Bells Chord Version
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 11:58:44 pm »
Well done Ex-Calif! I think with a little bit more time in hand you would get it all up and running as you wished. Hopefully next year there will be a similar contest where you will be able to show progress made this year, good vibes!

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline glpguitar

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 01:30:25 am »
Ex-Calif, well done! As always, I really admire people who can sing and play at the same time so kudos to you. First time accompanying yourself singing, that's super impressive! I still cannot do it most of the time :D. First time ever recording yourself, also a great way to start your journey!

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 415
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 04:14:18 am »
Bravo, Dan, you are making fine progress. One of the things that helped me most after Justin's lessons was recording and posting in AVOYP, the feedback was invaluable. Hope now you have broken the ice that you continue to post regularly in AVOYP.

Good vibes!!
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 11:11:58 am »
Bravo, Dan, you are making fine progress. One of the things that helped me most after Justin's lessons was recording and posting in AVOYP, the feedback was invaluable. Hope now you have broken the ice that you continue to post regularly in AVOYP.

Good vibes!!

TBH, that's next. I actually made a conscious decision to stop working on Jingle Bells and go back to the Lessons. I "remembered" that one can only do one thing at a time and I was taking too much time away from the Lesson Series, which is where I should be focused.

I am happy to say I completed Grade 1 "except" the posting of a video (I don't count Jingle Bells) and will make every effort to post some "Lesson" video this weekend.

TBH I am chuffed about Jingle Bells - I picked up the Guitar December 17th after a 10+ year lay off. I'd say Jingle Bells shows real progress!

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 12:01:04 pm »
Ex-Calif, well done! As always, I really admire people who can sing and play at the same time so kudos to you. First time accompanying yourself singing, that's super impressive! I still cannot do it most of the time :D. First time ever recording yourself, also a great way to start your journey!

I had a good coach...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29w4RyBjugo&list=TLPQMjkxMjIwMjC7h6eQiMNglA&index=5

Offline glpguitar

Offline stuartw

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 09:05:06 pm »
Just realised from looking at this video (and thanks for that) that you pluck one string and strum the rest and not strum the full chord as noted in the Tab. No wonder my version didn't sound anything like it should. Learn something new every day!

Sent from my SM-G930F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 09:52:59 pm »
Well done Dan. Great to see you post early on, vibes for that. This time next year the snow will be flying off the sleigh!

Studying Intermediate Course. Pickin’ an’ lickin’….😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 11:57:39 am »
Just realised from looking at this video (and thanks for that) that you pluck one string and strum the rest and not strum the full chord as noted in the Tab. No wonder my version didn't sound anything like it should. Learn something new every day!

Sent from my SM-G930F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Yup. In grade 1 Justin talks a lot about strumming. For me chords are only 1/3 of the song.  As a beginner I hear a lot of, "My song doesn't sound like the song" - With beginner songs (A, E, D) a lot of songs can sound the same. The difference is part II - strumming and part III adding a melody.

At this level the melody is added by singing. So with Jingle Bells I listened to a couple of versions and decided that a very simple pluck-strum would fit the song and not be too far beyond my ken...

I spent like 2 hours just getting picking accuracy up so I could hit the base note. It was a fun exercise but like I said, knocked me off my learning path for like 2+ weeks - LOL...

Practice the different strumming as Justin says...

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 679
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 07:42:03 pm »
Thanks so much for entering and entering into the spirit of the whole thing.
For fun first and foremost,
For other stuff like winning a prize and whatnot behind that.
What a great example of putting yourself out there and giving it a shot. I especially applaud you for knowing in your own mind that it is a flawed performance and that there is better to come yet still thinking - you know what, I'm sharing this, warts and all.
I look forward to so much more as you learn to play & sing together.
Vibes.
:)

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 01:30:53 am »
In for a penny, in for a pound...

One thing you'll learn about me is that you get it all. Right/wrong, good/bad etc... Open book.

My brother says, " The first step of being good at something is being bad at it..."

I also want to inspire other beginner's to jump in. Eventually you want to play and sing for and with people so get on with it.

Justin has a great attitude about it. It has to be fun above all else.  Learn what you have to but you don't have to learn everything.  At start "playing songs" right away...

Offline stuartw

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 11:59:14 am »
Yup. In grade 1 Justin talks a lot about strumming. For me chords are only 1/3 of the song.  As a beginner I hear a lot of, "My song doesn't sound like the song" - With beginner songs (A, E, D) a lot of songs can sound the same. The difference is part II - strumming and part III adding a melody.

At this level the melody is added by singing. So with Jingle Bells I listened to a couple of versions and decided that a very simple pluck-strum would fit the song and not be too far beyond my ken...

I spent like 2 hours just getting picking accuracy up so I could hit the base note. It was a fun exercise but like I said, knocked me off my learning path for like 2+ weeks - LOL...

Practice the different strumming as Justin says...

At the moment my playing is in the "My song doesn't sound like the song" bracket, so will have to rely on strumming, which I have been practicing strumming more. Singing is not an option :-)

Offline brianlarsen

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 09:00:51 pm »
Hi Dan,
I believe you arrived on the scene just before I moved into one of the back seats  ;)
I presumed your profile pic was actually you, but I reckon that's Mr. Smith from the Matrix?
Anyhow, a very belated welcome to the 'happening' corner of the forum and congratulations on jumping in with a visual playing/singing performance.
It only gets better from here- just keep at it!
That was a decent rendition of ye olde classic Christmas jingle.
Have some good vibes and look forward to following your progress.
Have a great 2021

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 10:06:52 pm »
Thanks man! I dove into the thread about why there are no "new" avatars. But figured out I could load a stock one from the forums supply.

I chose Bruce Willis cuz he's a bad ass and I kinda look like him if he was 60 pounds heavier, had worse teeth, wasn't as cool, and was poor. Hair's about the same...

Other than that he could be my Doppelganger - LOL

And in the spirit of Christmas, no, Die Hard is not a Christmas movie - LOL...

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 220
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 10:38:50 pm »
Dan, you did remarkably well with this! I appreciate that you have played in the past like I had when I started here 4 years ago. Since joining my progress has exceeded way beyond any expectations that I had; looking at your progress so far and having a feel for your motivation and determination I honestly think the sky could be your limit!
Just go for it like you’re already doing, nothing lost nothing gained - you’ve got nothing to loose and everything to gain!
Best of luck on your learning path!
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Get The Forum As A Mobile App