Author Topic: Stratocaster - But which one?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Stratocaster - But which one?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2021, 07:33:25 pm »
@Darrell - thanks for the info. This sounds like it could be a project build for the future. Would the harley Benson kit make a good platform for building a strat?
Not a HSS one, their kit is single coil only. If you wanted HSS you would have to route the body out to fit a humbucker. It’s doable but needs the right skills.
If it were me I would probably start with this:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_st_20hss_ca_standard_series.htm
Or better still this:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_st_70_black_paisley.htm
Not much to choose but the ST70 has better hardware, if you don’t like the finish you could refinish it.
I would also replace the string trees with roller ones and maybe the tuners with locking ones, possibly the 5 way switch with a Fender one and the jack socket with a better quality one. It would most likely cost less than £100 to make it really good and a fair few man hours!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Online R.F.W.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2021, 08:26:27 pm »
Thanks, its food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N975F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2021, 08:39:30 pm »
Thanks, its food for thought.
Just another thought I think Irongear make a stacked humbucker that’s designed to be tapped so you can still get single coil sounds, that would work with a SSS Strat, if you got 3 you would have an amazing range of sounds!
https://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_077.htm#
And the wiring diagram
http://www.irongear.co.uk/3xjrii_1vol_switched__1tone_5-way_blade_v04_igwm.gif
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2021, 09:06:38 pm »
Rather than think of a new HSS and immediately look to alter it to have an approximate SSS option, I suggest you do look again at the G&L S500.

I wrote earlier about it having a mid-boost. That was incorrect.
It has a toggle or push-pull tone to alter the available configuration of pickups.

MFD pickups = hotter then typical strat sounds

Toggle (or push / pull tone) to enable the alternate circuitry gives:

bridge + neck and all 3 pickups together.

This is a 'strat-a-like' that can rock like a wild beast and chime like a bell.

No need to do any mods.

The mahogany bodied variant is the one that can be heavier to handle if that would be an issue. They seem to have done them in swamp ash and other woods ...

This fella is the UK demonstrator - a bit of a character. At 16 he ran away from home to gig with rock group Budgie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgBL6mVMnzI

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2021, 09:25:57 pm »
@Richard look at #24, I was asked if the HB Strat kit would make a good project Strat, it could possibly be using those Irongear rails, wouldn’t mind having a go at that myself! I pointed out the complete new guitars because you would know that the parts fitted together reasonably well and the upgrades wouldn’t be too difficult and still make a fairly inexpensive guitar. A friend has modded the Swamp ash one that’s a bit more expensive with Irongear Texas hot single coils for playing SRV and Hendrix stuff mostly and it’s just amazingly good!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2021, 09:29:58 pm »
Missed that Darrell ...

My bad.

As you were ...
:)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2021, 09:34:15 pm »
Missed that Darrell ...
My bad.
As you were ...
:)
👍👍👍

Online R.F.W.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2021, 10:00:24 pm »
Just another thought I think Irongear make a stacked humbucker that’s designed to be tapped so you can still get single coil sounds, that would work with a SSS Strat, if you got 3 you would have an amazing range of sounds!
https://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_077.htm#
And the wiring diagram
http://www.irongear.co.uk/3xjrii_1vol_switched__1tone_5-way_blade_v04_igwm.gif
I will take a look at this, its a good option.

Online R.F.W.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2021, 10:05:26 pm »
@close - thank you for the info. I'm exploring different ideas at the moment. Maybe I buy a new telecaster and do the strat as a project.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:00:07 am by close2u »

Online R.F.W.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2021, 08:14:24 am »
A question on the HB strat, how does the quality compare against a squier strat?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2021, 09:00:24 am »
A question on the HB strat, how does the quality compare against a squier strat?
The cheapest one is about the same as a Bullet, the next one up is about the same as an Affinity and the Swamp ash one is comparable to the Classic vibe. They would all benefit from a setup to get them to your own preferences but generally are playable out of the box. I’ve decided that later this year I’m going to get the Swamp ash one and play it as is for a while with the option of upgrading switches, tuners and possibly adding Texas hot Irongear pickups. I know from a friend that these mods gives you a superb guitar for less than the price of a Classic vibe and is arguably as good as a USA standard!

Online R.F.W.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2021, 09:20:18 am »
Darrell , thanks for your feedback.

The swamp ash looks nice and the more I think about it. This could be good way to get a strat for a good price and the mods look not too complicated. My only reservation is the neck, but if I don't like after playing, then I can change later.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2021, 09:28:32 am »
Darrell , thanks for your feedback.
The swamp ash looks nice and the more I think about it. This could be good way to get a strat for a good price and the mods look not too complicated. My only reservation is the neck, but if I don't like after playing, then I can change later.
The neck is pretty comfortable for me and I have small hands (my wife’s hands are bigger than mine!), the only thing I would do is to lightly sand it to make it to my taste, I like a matt neck finish, that’s what I did to my HB JA60, the only mod that has had is roller string trees and decent strings and for the Black Friday price of just under £100 it’s a keeper!
When I get one I’m tempted to do the Brian May wiring mod to give a lot more tone options!
https://www.guitarfetish.com/BHM-Style-Wiring-Kits_c_226.html

Online R.F.W.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2021, 10:43:59 am »
 Bargain!! Its hard to believe they can make a guitar so cheap and playable.
The Brian May mod looks interesting also -
I could be tempted by HB JA60 in the future. I saw the G&L fallout with a P90 and humbucker. If this could be done with the JA60, then I would be interested.

https://youtu.be/cTHzrycPyHI

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2021, 10:53:21 am »
Bargain!! Its hard to believe they can make a guitar so cheap and playable.
The Brian May mod looks interesting also -
I could be tempted by HB JA60 in the future. I saw the G&L fallout with a P90 and humbucker. If this could be done with the JA60, then I would be interested.
I don’t think it would be too difficult, the JA60 has P90’s anyway so should be a similar size, I would have a guess that the PAF style I linked earlier on would be easier to fit without too much faff, the standard Roswell P90’s are ok but an Irongear one would be the icing on the cake!
Irongear make really good quality but reasonably priced pickups, read some of the reviews on them and I think you’ll be impressed!

Online R.F.W.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2021, 11:21:39 am »

Online R.F.W.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2021, 11:01:05 am »
HB ST90SA ordered and should be delivered in 1 to 2 weeks.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2021, 11:03:49 am »
Excellent, you’re definitely not going to regret it 👍👍👍

Offline JustMe123456

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 2
  • “Life is a journey, not a destination.” Emerson
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2021, 03:29:47 pm »
Congrats on your new guitar!
Damn... I bought this expensive Yahama Thr10 Mk2 and Fender Player stratocaster and still don't sound like Jimi Hendrix... WTF?!

Online R.F.W.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2021, 03:38:38 pm »
Congrats on your new guitar!
thanks,  The reviews are positive and I intend to make some mods on it in the future. So its a ideal guitar to learn some skills in modding. Next on the list is a tele, PRS and offset.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2021, 03:55:38 pm »
thanks,  The reviews are positive and I intend to make some mods on it in the future. So its a ideal guitar to learn some skills in modding. Next on the list is a tele, PRS and offset.
TBH I would have picked the JA60 first if you’ve not done any serious work on guitars before, that Strat is just gorgeous and actually works fine without mods, a setup to start with would be a better idea.

Online R.F.W.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2021, 04:09:54 pm »
The swamp ash is beautiful but the JA60 would of been a nice to have! I did think about buying two guitars, however I dont think the girlfriend would of been happy.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2021, 04:28:11 pm »
The swamp ash is beautiful but the JA60 would of been a nice to have! I did think about buying two guitars, however I dont think the girlfriend would of been happy.
So you just show her a classic vibe and make sure she clocks the price and then the two HB ones making sure she realises that you’ve got the two for less than the price of the CV and just grovel a bit 👍👍👍

Online R.F.W.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2021, 04:34:38 pm »
Very good advice . But the for the price of the Fender player, I could of brought all 3 of the HB's that I want.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 04:47:39 pm »
Very good advice . But the for the price of the Fender player, I could of brought all 3 of the HB's that I want.
l
Good thinking Batman 😂😂😂
You’re catching on!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App