Author Topic: Vox VT40X 40 Watt 10 or Yamaha THR 10 II or Boss Katana 50 mk2 ?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
Hi guys,

In the electric guitar sub forum I am being helped by some awesome people and am almost there deciding for a Fender Player Telecaster.
I also need an amp.

My situation:
- Beginner (meaning: learning open chords, learning major C, F and G scale, learning some strumming)
- Love for all kinds of music, but: Rolling Stones, Blues, Hiphop, Soul, R&B, Reggae, some rock (but no metal etc, more in the realm of 60's) are my most often go to
- Play only from home
- Have a well isolated home but do have two kids (3 year and 5 months old) so I don't need to crank it up
- I need the amp to get sound out of the guitar, perhaps at some point I need some effects but the only effect thusfar I understand are reverb and gain (and I don't like too much gain at all).
- Perhaps not to heavy of an amp? I sometimes play in my home office, but at night often in the living room.

I came to the following short list.
VOX VT40X 40 Watt 10 or yamaha thr 10 ii (I find this one a bit expensive) or boss katana 50 mk2?

At Bax shop (where I am buying my electric) they said: "The Boss katana 50 is great, but I think you will enjoy the VOX a bit more" that's why I added the Vox. The Yamaha and the Boss katana I found on youtube (on the famous channels I might need to avoid)

I know nothing about amps. So if there is anything better. Let me know please.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:34:40 am by JustMe123456 »
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
Re: Vox VT40X 40 Watt 10 or Yamaha THR 10 II or Boss Katana 50 mk2 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 11:12:32 am »
I have both the Katana (although the earlier version, and in the 100W model) and the Yamaha THR 10 ii.

I like both amps, but I feel they have a different purpose. The Yamaha, primarily, is great because it's small, very low volume, and portable. I actually carried mine with my hand luggage when I came back from Singapore. It's also quite nice looking, and doesn't look like a traditional guitar amp at all. It doubles as a great little Bluetooth speaker and wouldn't look out of place on the side in most living rooms. It also works nicely with headphones and can be used for USB recording.

In my case, I also got the version with the rechargeable battery and the G10T transmitter to make a totally wireless setup I can take into my garden in the summer.

If a bunch of those things resonate with you, then the Yamaha THR series is worth looking at.

It is expensive, but it is a small, portable, nice-looking, well constructed, great sounding and fairly feature rich unit. A lot of   serious musicians use them as a low-volume practice amp, including Dan Steinhardt from That Pedal Show, and Robert Fripp. However, it's no good for rehearsals or gigging.

The Katana is a different beast, although there is a lot of overlap. The Katana is physically much bigger and looks and sounds much more like a traditional amp. It can get loud, very loud; band rehearsal/pub gigging with a drummer loud if you need it to. But you can also dial it right back to 0.5W mode which is generally suitable for bedroom playing without disturbing others too much, although the THR is quieter.

The Katana is really the sort of amp you put in the corner of your practice room/study/man cave and leave there. It's not particularly heavy but it is big and not really portable in the same sense as the THR is. It would look out of place on the side in most living rooms.

The Katana can be used with a footswitch to change settings whilst you are playing, and there are standard footswitches available as an additional item. The Yamaha can, apparently, also be used with a third-party Bluetooth footswitch. I have personally never tried this. With the Katana you can also add an external expression pedal that can be used as a volume control or for effects like wah or whammy.

Both the Katana and the Yamaha THR have similar controls: with both you select the amp type from a rotary switch (acoustic, clean, crunch, led, highgain) and then you have gain and tone controls, master volume and controls for the effects (reverb, delay, etc.). Both are, IMO, very easy to use.

In both cases you can install and run a Windows/Mac app which can be used to change the settings. On the Yamaha you can also run an iPhone/Android app. The apps will give you more control of the settings than the knobs on the top will.

In the case of the Yamaha, the additional controls include an alternative set of amp models, as well as being able to select between reverb types and some cabinet emulations. The number and variety of effects is fairly limited on the Yamaha, but that can be a good thing for some.

In the case of the Katana, you can actually select between FX types on the top panel of the amp, and the app opens up a whole world of tone editing including dozens of effects which aren't on the THR, as well as variations of them, and the ability to fine tune parameters, assign parameters to an external expression pedal, etc. It really is a flexible and powerful system if you want to explore guitar effects. But if you don't you can quite easily just use the amp controls and still have a lot of capability.

The Katana will do USB recording, but doesn't have any onboard Bluetooth, and really isn't useful as a general speaker for music playing.

I am really not familiar with the Vox VT40 at all although, from a form-factor point of view, it's much more similar to the Katana than the THR. Previous Vox modelling amps have had great reviews and, for quite a few years, some of the earlier models of Vox modelling amp were the go-to recommendation for beginners on these forums. I have to say I've not seen many recommendations for the latest Vox VT amps in the last few years. That could just be because not many people have tried them.

Looking at it, the VT40X seems to be the sort of modelling amp that specifically aims to emulate dozens of classic, well known amps. There is some value in that for some but it's not something you need. Increasingly I'm of the view that it's a bit of a gimmick, and it does increase the complexity of using the amp in a way that I think is more detrimental for beginners than it is useful.

For reference, the Yamaha THR and Boss Katana don't try to do this. They have their own set of amp models (clean, crunch, lead, highgain) and their own sound. They don't pretend to be a Vox AC30, or a Marshall DSL, etc. This makes them simpler to use and, in my view, that is more suitable for a beginner.

IMO you should look at a few video reviews of the Vox VT40X (and the Katana and THR)  to get a feel for what it does and how you use it and then think about whether you really want that capability/complexity or not.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:51:17 am »

The Katana is a different beast, although there is a lot of overlap. The Katana is physically much bigger and looks and sounds much more like a traditional amp. It can get loud, very loud; band rehearsal/pub gigging with a drummer loud if you need it to. But you can also dial it right back to 0.5W mode which is generally suitable for bedroom playing without disturbing others too much, although the THR is quieter.

The Katana is really the sort of amp you put in the corner of your practice room/study/man cave and leave there. It's not particularly heavy but it is big and not really portable in the same sense as the THR is. It would look out of place on the side in most living rooms.

Thanks Keith. This part makes a big point for the Yamaha. I do wonder, what does loud mean in this case?

I give you a scenario: I have the katana on low volume. I am playing. Daughter, 3 year old, is walking by the amp and is for some reason able to find the volume knob and cranks it full open (this is actually a real possibility for it to happen.. kids are crazy)...

Are we all deaf now?

That the Yamaha is so easily portable is a big plus and I don't see myself jamming this year or the next.
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.” ~ Keith Richards

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 11:57:09 am »
On 0.5W mode the Katana will still get quite loud, but not deafening.

Of course she could also turn the power up to 50W mode. It's less likely but still possible.

The more likely scenario is she messes with knobs when you aren't playing, and don't notice when you turn it on.

But check the physical size of all of the proposed amps as well, and work out where you would put them.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 12:00:08 pm »
The Yamaha is probably the best for now, as it’s small you can put it where a young child can’t reach it to interfere with it, the volume level can be fairly quiet, also you could use headphones. It’s loud enough possibly to play in a small bar if need be but only just. It’s one that I regret not buying at the time for the same reason that you’re thinking that it looks expensive for what it is. On the face of it possibly so but it really is worth the price, it’s a very good amp to learn and progress with.

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 12:13:40 pm »
Okay guys. This one was a lot easier than the guitar haha Yamaha THR it is. I know my family, with the boss katana there are going to be ear injuries lol

One small question then about the Yamaha.

There is this one: https://www.bax-shop.nl/gitaarversterker-combo/yamaha-thr-10ii-desktop-gitaarversterker = 300 euro

and there is this one: https://www.bax-shop.nl/gitaarversterker-combo/yamaha-thr-10ii-wireless-desktop-gitaarversterker = 400 euro

The difference seems to be in the wireless part? Or is there more that makes this a 100 euro extra worth it?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 12:47:49 pm »
It’s just the wireless part, the function of the amps is the same. The wireless part allows you to connect with your guitar or headphones without wires, but that could be done using 3rd party equipment anyway, possibly for less.
You have Bluetooth connectivity anyway but personally I prefer wired connection as you don’t get any latency of connection.

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 01:25:12 pm »
It’s just the wireless part, the function of the amps is the same. The wireless part allows you to connect with your guitar or headphones without wires, but that could be done using 3rd party equipment anyway, possibly for less.
You have Bluetooth connectivity anyway but personally I prefer wired connection as you don’t get any latency of connection.

And I prefer 100 euro extra left in mijn pocket  ;D

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 01:38:23 pm »
Wow that Yamaha looks terrific. So neat and clean looking and unobtrusive. The built in wireless would be really tidy I think. I know you could buy third party stuff and do the same thing but I think the point here is small and compact, looks great and no wires!  I’ve got a birthday coming up! This Andertons video makes it look terrific.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-amps/practice-amps/yamaha-thr10ii-desktop-guitar-amp
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 01:41:19 pm »
There's two differences between the THR wireless and non-wireless versions:

1. The wireless version has a built-in rechargeable battery which makes it more portable (e.g. for use in the garden). In my experience the battery lasts about 5 hours of use. The non-wireless version has to be connected to the mains power to use it.

2. The wireless version has a built-in wireless guitar receiver. This allows you to use it completely wirelessly by purchasing a Line 6 G10T transmitter which you charge and plug into the guitar. Note that this is an optional extra. You can charge the G10T by plugging it into the THR10ii, which is convenient.

Both units have Bluetooth.

For me, the added cost of the wireless version was worth it for the built-in rechargeable battery option. The wireless guitar link is a bit of a gimmick, but it may suit you. You don't have to buy the transmitter if you don't want.

As DarrelW says, if you get the non-wireless version and want to add a wireless guitar link in the future, you can, although the G10T option is nice and neat.

However, you cannot add the rechargeable battery option in the future. If you think you might like to use the THR as (for instance) a Bluetooth speaker in the garden during the warmer months, then you should probably look at getting the version with the battery.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 01:54:47 pm »
Dumb question maybe, but wouldn't an extension cord not be enough compared to a battery?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 02:03:47 pm »
However, you cannot add the rechargeable battery option in the future. If you think you might like to use the THR as (for instance) a Bluetooth speaker in the garden during the warmer months, then you should probably look at getting the version with the battery.
Cheers,
Keith
Dumb question maybe, but wouldn't an extension cord not be enough compared to a battery?
I have to agree with that comment, it would be useful to have a battery in my BEAM but I do get around it by using an outdoor use pair of plugs to do that, it works fine. That said I do have a decent quality Bluetooth speaker that is rechargeable that I now use by preference for playing music.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 02:55:31 pm »
It depends. If you are happy with an extension cable, that's cool.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 03:55:10 pm »
Yeah good enough. I also don't dare to play outside with my guitar playing at the moment :p

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 640
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 04:06:06 pm »
Yeah good enough.

Okay - you don't necessarily need the wireless so 100 Euro you don't need to spend.

Now just gotta choose the T style!

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 05:25:18 pm »
Okay - you don't necessarily need the wireless so 100 Euro you don't need to spend.

Now just gotta choose the T style!

D0ne

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 10:33:47 am »
I just found out something and want to check if correct.
I have a Sonos One in my home office. The Sonos One is around 80 DB.
I checked the wattage of the Yamaha THR 10 2 and discovered that that one has 20 Watt.
20 Watt is +- 80 DB
so... Am I correct saying that the max volume of the Yamaha is around the same max volume of the Sonos One?

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 11:11:09 am »
Although the wattage comparison is fairly meaningless (it's basically a marketing term that can only be consider a very rough guideline), I'm very familiar with the Sonos One. I would say that the THR 10 is comparable in volume to the Sonos One, perhaps a little louder.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 11:15:20 am »
Although the wattage comparison is fairly meaningless (it's basically a marketing term that can only be consider a very rough guideline), I'm very familiar with the Sonos One. I would say that the THR 10 is comparable in volume to the Sonos One, perhaps a little louder.

Cheers,

Keith

I am also very familiar with it since I have it all trough the house. I am super curious what it will sound like. For example (very rough guideline) @ 40 DB....
Will I hear the snares of the electric over the amp? Couple of weeks left to find all wuestions out :)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 01:50:39 pm »
If by "DB" you mean decibels, 40 dB (more specifically "dB SPL" (Sound Pressure Level) is very quiet.

See
http://karlwenninger.blogspot.com/2015/12/starting-at-0-db-part-i-sound-pressure.html?m=1

The decibel scale is logarithmic with a 3 db increase being twice the power. So 43 dB is twice the power of 40 dB.

Note that this isn't the same as "twice as loud" as there are other factors at play, including the response of the speaker and the sensitivity of our ears.

As a rule of thumb,  a 10 dB increase in SPL will sound twice as loud.

Active (amplified) speaker systems like Sonos, all guitar combo amps, and powered studio monitors, should all really be measured in dB SPL because the wattage figures they use are pure marketing fluff and really of no use to the consumer in understanding how loud a device is.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline joueur de guitare

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 01:55:38 pm »
I am also very familiar with it since I have it all trough the house. I am super curious what it will sound like. For example (very rough guideline) @ 40 DB....
Will I hear the snares of the electric over the amp? Couple of weeks left to find all wuestions out :)

40dB is quiet conversation level

80dB over time will cause hearing damage

Unless you have a dB meter both of the above are meaningless.

Human hearing responds differently to different frequencies, aging reduces the ability to hear higher frequencies. Not too many people these days have perfect hearing. Children can hear frequencies adults can't. What is loud to one individual isn't loud to another.

What's my point? You're way overthinking this. You can't speculate what something you've not seen, never mind heard, will sound like. Everyone else's perceptions will vary.  Chill.
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline JustMe123456

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 10:50:03 am »
Also to close it here... The sound of the Yahama THR-10 is awesome. No bluetooth in this little one. Also, the battery would have been a good feature since I bring it to the attic and downstairs on daily basis... so Wireless + batt would have been a tiiiny bit better but really not much. Def. not worth the extra 200 euro. Also with Sonos at home I believe I can easily play backtracks with equal volume... and the volume of the 10 and the size is just perfect for me.

Offline DonEast

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 01:24:14 am »
Great choice,
I have one too and really like it.

Offline Ruicunha

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2021, 04:06:54 pm »
I own a vtx100 and its bad to learn chords, the sound seems always out of tone and with distortion.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App