Author Topic: My beginner's electric guitar has started twanging after several months use  (Read 730 times)

Offline bobuva

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
I've got a Fender Squire Strat that I bought on Amazon. Has been working great for five months or so but some of the thinner strings are starting to twang now. I've been through Justin's Beginner courses, now on Lesson 13, and I did go through the power chords lesson which may have had me strumming a little harder on the strings.

I don't have a fret measuring tool yet, thinking of getting the FretGuru even though it's a little pricey. I'm not sure how to adjust the action if that is the problem (low action I mean). Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
Twanging? You mean buzzing?
Does it mainly happen on the thicker strings when you play hard?

Also...

Five months of playing from an Amazon purchase ... have you changed strings yet?

Offline bobuva

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
It seems to be only the 1st string, the thinnest one. Looking at it, it appears very close to the fret on the 1st fret.

I've only changed the thinnest string, right after I got the guitar because I accidentally broke the original 1st string when tuning.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
Look to see if your thin E is seated properly on the bridge saddle.

The time is long overdue to change all of the strings. If you can, if anywhere is open at the mo, take it to a tech and have a setup done. £35-40 ish and it will be worth it. If not, change the strings yourself using Justin's video guides.

Offline bobuva

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
The string looks to be seated ok. I didn't realize that it's good practice to replace  strings within the first six months.

I was planning on taking my Washburn D12S acoustic to have a setup done since I can't get a full F barre chord to play with the action as it is. I guess I'll also have the Squire electric also setup. I could change the strings myself but would like to see what improvement the setup brings.

Thanks for your help!
Bob

Offline Matek

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 14

I guess I'll also have the Squire electric also setup. I could change the strings myself but would like to see what improvement the setup brings.

Thanks for your help!
Bob

If you are going to get it setup dont change the strings, they will put a new set on as part of the setup

Sent from my SM-G960F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline bobuva

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Thanks Matek. I assumed they would change them if needed.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App