Author Topic: First Guitar  (Read 949 times)

Offline formerlyknownaslewis

• Good Vibes 0
First Guitar
« on: December 31, 2020, 10:42:38 pm »
Hey there,

I have been reading through a lot of the posts to try and figure out what may be the best first guitar for me. I have musical experience in playing Trumpet and Piano however I know nothing of Guitars wanting to begin to learn while in quarantine.

I am UK based and looking to buy a electric guitar with a budget of around £200-300.

I have seen a lot of discourse surrounding beginner's especially avoiding the Floyd Rose Tremolo however I have been having trouble classifying whether the guitar's I am looking at have this or not.

I terms of musical influences that I would emulate and be inspired by while playing it would be everything from Prince (Hodner Madcat), Nile Rogers (Hardtail Fender Stratocaster), Bowie, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Tame Impala, Joan Jett if that should offer any light as to the sound I want.

From researching I have found that these may possibly be good options for me but if anyone could offer their own more experienced and knowledgeable opinions on it I would greatly appreciate it. :D

Yamaha Pacifica 112VM - around mid £200s
Squier Affinity Telecaster - £150-£200
G&L ASAT tribute - found £275-£300
Epiphone LP Standard - £200s

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: First Guitar
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 11:16:08 pm »
Out of your list the G&L ASAT tribute stands out, it’s a great piece of kit!
A classic would be a great version to get if possible, it’s well worth thinking about stretching your budget for one; they completely outclass the rest of your list!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 215
    • My Road Case
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 11:20:48 pm »
I second the G&L ASAT. The G&Ls are nice guitars.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 12:54:34 am »
I third the G&L ASAT.
By some distance.
Either Classic, Bluesboy or Special.
Great guitars at that price.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 11:01:26 am by close2u »

Offline formerlyknownaslewis

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 02:11:48 am »
In researching, most of the g&l asat guitars I can find at around that price range are used/second hand. Which while would be still great, for someone who is not experienced in the management of Guitars and being able to clean it up and make sure it is properly prepared to play in buying it second hand out of these would there be a second option at all? Or even another recommendation.

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 06:21:03 am »
You could take a look through these, if you specified a setup as part of your purchase it would still easily be in budget!
https://www.thomann.de/gb/t_models.html?price-first=0&ls=25&oa=pra&filter=true&manufacturer%5B%5D=Harley%20Benton&rating%5B%5D=5
It might seem like a lot of money to pay but the results would be worth it!
https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_plek_service_standard_nis.htm
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 11:04:10 am »
If you buy 2nd hand judiciously, and ask questions of the seller, you can find guitars that have already been setup, tweaked and looked after very well.
Many guitars at the budget end often need some attention from a guitar tech to make them play to their potential.
If buying new, this won't be done as part of the service from an online seller unless specifically requested, agrred to and paid for.
If buying used, unless it is from a boob who says 'unwanted gift' etc then the guitar may have had the work done.

Offline AzureJasper

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 09:46:33 am »
While you can get decent 2nd hand guitars and save a few bucks, if it’s your first you likely don’t know what to look out for - unless you have someone in the know helping you out that is - which is why I’d recommend a new squire. They’re not too much new, and the recently made ones are often really good instruments.

Of course if you have a local shop selling used gear they could be a safer bet than buying directly from someone, although that’d likely be a little more than buying direct. But yeah, the new squires are usually good instruments for not too much money.

Offline Lord_Gigabyte

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 9
  • Not quitting, not now, not ever....
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 03:43:10 pm »
I'd like to vote for the Yamaha Pacifica.

It's a great starter and afaik, a starting player can't go wrong with it.
I'll get it in the end. Just don't give up, that's the key....

Get The Forum As A Mobile App