Author Topic: Multi effects pedal vs preamp pedal - FRFR/studio monitors vs guitar cabinet  (Read 2119 times)

Offline lectric

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
I'm not sure. You may have misunderstood me...

Controlling basic effects on the Katana will be MUCH easier than trying to control them on the GT-10 as, on the Katana, you just have a knob to twist to select the effect level, and a button to step through the three options. It is a much simplified interface.

No, sorry, I hadn't misunderstood you, I was referring to Joerfe's quote, I just hadn't seen where I could use quotes myself:
But the GT-10 makes it easier to change and adjust the effects than on the Katana.

What exactly do you mean by
However, more complex effects selections and parameters on the Katana just is not possible, whilst on the GT-10 it IS possible. On the Katana you have the option of using the Tone Studio software on the PC which makes it very easy to control every aspect of the Katana including which effects, effect order, levels of all parameters, etc.
Does that mean that the more complex effets selections on the Katana are not possible at all, or that that is only possible via Tone Studio?

Old version vs new version... I know, the same discussions exist in vdrums, everybody agrees that the TD-30 is a step up from the TD-20, but opinions on the newer TD-50 vs TD-30 differ, mostly because of less sounds in the TD-50 and some features missing that were on the TD-30.

Thanks!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case

Does that mean that the more complex effets selections on the Katana are not possible at all, or that that is only possible via Tone Studio?

I mean only via the Tone Studio.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108

I mean only via the Tone Studio.

On the Katana, you dial in your effects in Tone Studio (pc) and save them to a preset, which is transferred to the Katana.
On the Katana you shift between your already made presets and can turn on and off the effects using the foot switch.

If you need to change, lets say the reverb, from a spring to a plate you will need to do so in Tone Studio.

It's quite complicated to describe without it sounding either very easy or very difficult to do, so I suggest that you confer with the many youtube tutorials which are available.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.
Boss GT-1000, Line6 Powercab 100

Offline lectric

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
OK, thanks, I get it.

So basically, if you want to change settings on the fly by twisting a know, get the Katana. You can also save 4 settings. If you want to go deeper, dive in in Tone Studio.

If you want to have all on saved settings, get a GT-x. Not easy to change on the fly, but you can save each setting. GT-10 has 200 presets and 200 user settings to be saved.

I noticed the Katana Head has 8 memory slots, the 100 MkII only has 4. Is that the only difference between the 2 - apart from the speakers obviously?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
I noticed the Katana Head has 8 memory slots, the 100 MkII only has 4. Is that the only difference between the 2 - apart from the speakers obviously?

The Katana has 8 slots as well. You Press and hold a switch (Can’t remember which) and you have access to 4 more presets.

The two should be identical, however The head had midi capabilities which I am not sure the MKII has. The first version did not.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Tokai Les Paul Reborn 2010, Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded TB 'Slash specs'.

Offline lectric

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Thanks again for the input. I checked myself and indeed, the Katana 100 MkII doesn't have midi, whereas the Katana Artist and the Katana Head do have midi. About this midi... a GT-10 or a GT-100 can be used as a midi-controller. Is there something a GT-10 connected via midi could control on a Katana that the GA-FC couldn't?

If I can buy a 2nd hand Katana 100 MkII (mint condition, probably still under warranty) for 250 €, am I crazy not to buy it?

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
Personally if you buy the Katana I think you'll keep that longer than the GT10 which - as you've discovered - is really last generation MFX. That's not to say it's bad but compared to later FX pedals it's not quite up there.

I've had quite a few multi fx pedals both from Zoom (G5, G3) and Boss (GT-1 which in fact has the same FX engine as the Katana) all MFX of that generation onwards use similar methods for building patches and then changing fx...i.e. you move to your FX block , select FX you want and then through some assortment of knobs can select the parameter e.g. gain, volume, etc. and adjust using another knob. Once you've learnt one it's pretty easy to navigate them all AND it's way easier to do that than have your Katana permanently connected to a laptop/desktop/android device IMHO.

The biggest issue with the Katana is that without the - pricey circa £80 - GAFC footswitch you can't turn individual FX on and off like you would with a MFX pedal (yes you can turn them on and off on the panel but not practical when playing). I opted not to go the GAFC route and at the time bought the Katana 100 and upgraded my MFX to a Boss GT-1 second hand (just over £100). I pushed the GT-1 through the FX return effectively bi-passing the preamp (where all the FX are) on the Katana and just using the Power amp (in other words using the Katana as a powered speaker). It meant I had a backup with the katana as a full amp should I have an issues with the GT-1. It was a good setup.

I recently upgraded the MFX to a Line 6 Pod Go and that MFX is a massive step up from the GT1 (but then again it costs circa £450 so it should be). However I'm still using the Katana 100 through the FX Return and it sounds awesome.

Note if you put a MFX through the FX return of the Katana I'm assuming you'd use the amp models on the MFX. If that's the case turn off any CAB/IR emulation on the MFX as it'll sound better (you're already using a real CAB so no need for an emulated one).
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 108
Is there something a GT-10 connected via midi could control on a Katana that the GA-FC couldn't?

Cannot say as I’ve never been messing with MIDI.
Do you think it is relevant to you, at all?
/Jesper

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
I would say you should avoid anything that requires you to mess around with MIDI at this point. To answer your question, no there's not really anything you can do with MIDI on the Katana that you couldn't do with the GA-FC and external expression pedals.

To my mind, spending a fair chunk of money more to get the Katana Head and a cabinet or Katana Artist instead of a GA-FC seems like a backward, illogical way to do things, especially as it then commits you to a steep learning curve and some hours of messing with MIDI before you get it working, and then doesn't really let you use your GT-10 and the Katana separately.

My strong recommendation is to either:

1. Get the Katana, with the GA-FC footswitch and use that. Play around with the GT-10 and the Katana in various combinations (individually, together with the GT-10 into the the "front" of the Katana, together with the GT-10 into the FX loop of the Katana) so you can learn what they do, how to use them, and whether you need the GT-10 at all with the Katana setup.

Noone else can tell you what will work for you, no matter how many questions you ask.

Then keep or sell stuff based on the knowledge you have gained.

2. Get the small amp head and G112 cabinet and connect the GT-10 into that and use that.

I think anything else, based on where you are now and your current preferences, would not be a sensible recommendation.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline lectric

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Personally if you buy the Katana I think you'll keep that longer than the GT10 which - as you've discovered - is really last generation MFX. That's not to say it's bad but compared to later FX pedals it's not quite up there.
Well, what actually 'scares' me a little bit with amps like the Katana is that at some point in the future, Tone Studio might not be supported anymore by Boss, like it is apparently the case with one of the Fender Mustangs.

Note if you put a MFX through the FX return of the Katana I'm assuming you'd use the amp models on the MFX. If that's the case turn off any CAB/IR emulation on the MFX as it'll sound better (you're already using a real CAB so no need for an emulated one).
Interesting... I thought that when you wanted to use the amp models on a MFX, you should use an FRFR-speaker, not a guitar speaker. Seems logical though, what you say, thanks!

Cannot say as I’ve never been messing with MIDI.
Do you think it is relevant to you, at all?
At this point in time, no. But maybe yes. I have a GT-10 - which has midi-capability. If I were to find e.g. a Katana Artist/Head secondhand that would be cheaper than a 100MkII and a GA-FC, I might think that controlling the Artist/Head with the GT-10 via midi would (financially) be a better option than buying a 100 MkII and a GA-FC, and especially if controlling the Katana via midi on the GT-10 gives more capabilities than controlling it via the GA-FC. Do I need it, or is it relevant to me? At this point absolutely not since I'm a beginner. First things first, and the first thing is learning how to play the instrument. But in the buy once, cry once-philosophy, it might be relevant I think. Don't get me wrong please, I'm not trying to be a whiseguy here, I'm just asking the opinions of experienced guitar players. I'm asking, and learning, both with an open mind of what I really need (which is, as I'm well aware, if you only start playing the electric guitar an amp and a speaker), and what 'could' be used in the future when I'm more experienced.

To my mind, spending a fair chunk of money more to get the Katana Head and a cabinet or Katana Artist instead of a GA-FC seems like a backward, illogical way to do things, especially as it then commits you to a steep learning curve and some hours of messing with MIDI before you get it working, and then doesn't really let you use your GT-10 and the Katana separately.
Good point.

Anway, as I said, first things first, so I'm going to play a bit again now. Thanks again for the valuable input!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
If I were to find e.g. a Katana Artist/Head secondhand that would be cheaper than a 100MkII and a GA-FC

Unlikely, IMO.

especially if controlling the Katana via midi on the GT-10 gives more capabilities than controlling it via the GA-FC.

It doesn't really. Effectively the MIDI on the Katana gives you the ability to switch between channels and to switch fx on/off, the same as the GA-FC.

Don't get me wrong please, I'm not trying to be a whiseguy here...

I'm not worried about that. I think the questions are genuine. I just worry you are being too analytical and prescriptive about what you think you want, when this stuff is actually quite subjective and personal. Unfortunately we can't tell you what you want or like or will work for you and, at this point, you don't really know yourself.

You really have to start somewhere and then learn and move from there, and starting from somewhere more straightforward and well-trodden will normally work best for someone starting out.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:00:24 pm by Majik »

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
1. Get the Katana, with the GA-FC footswitch and use that.

This is what I would do, FWIW. (And -- full disclosure -- I own a Katana 100/212 with a GA-FC footswtich.)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App