Author Topic: My first Amp  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
Re: My first Amp
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2021, 06:42:26 pm »
The THR30 will be quite loud when turned right up, but you don't need to turn it right up. Of course it will have a more sensitive master volume control than the THR10, because the same amount of change will result in a correspondingly louder output.

Note that watts to actual perceived sound is not a linear relationship. I've not compared a fully cranked THR10 vs a THR30, but I would estimate it is maybe 25% -50% louder?

EDIT: I've just been made aware that the THR10 is "20W", not the "10W" I had thought it was. In that case I suspect the THR30 is no more than about 10% louder.

Note I have put the stated power figures in quotes. This is because they are pretty meaningless figures largely made up by the marketing department. About the only practical thing you can use them for is to indicate that (in this case) the THR30 is louder than the THR10. How much louder? I can only guess, but it will be far less than 50% louder.

The line outs could be put into an audio interface for recording (although you could just use the USB direct) or to a mixer/PA system. Personally, given the availability of direct USB recording, I think most people won't have a good use for the line outputs. I don't think I've ever used them on any of my amps.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:36:47 pm by Majik »

Offline bobwill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2021, 04:56:22 pm »
The THR30 will be quite loud when turned right up, but you don't need to turn it right up. Of course it will have a more sensitive master volume control than the THR10, because the same amount of change will result in a correspondingly louder output.

Note that watts to actual perceived sound is not a linear relationship. I've not compared a fully cranked THR10 vs a THR30, but I would estimate it is maybe 25% -50% louder?

EDIT: I've just been made aware that the THR10 is "20W", not the "10W" I had thought it was. In that case I suspect the THR30 is no more than about 10% louder.

Note I have put the stated power figures in quotes. This is because they are pretty meaningless figures largely made up by the marketing department. About the only practical thing you can use them for is to indicate that (in this case) the THR30 is louder than the THR10. How much louder? I can only guess, but it will be far less than 50% louder.

The line outs could be put into an audio interface for recording (although you could just use the USB direct) or to a mixer/PA system. Personally, given the availability of direct USB recording, I think most people won't have a good use for the line outputs. I don't think I've ever used them on any of my amps.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith,
A big thank you again. Your no messing, say it as it is, straightforward replys have given me the confidence to make the Yamaha THR10 v2 wireless my first Amp purchase.
It is not just Keith all the replies have given direct no nonsense information each adding to a great overall picture of what is suitable for what purpose and I for one have been educated.
You see my perceived picture of Amps like the Yamaha THR series WAS that they don't look like a proper Amp, more like a radio so will not sound like a proper Amp. Back in the day Amps had valves not solid state. The sound they gave is now referred to as vintage sound and some guitarists are striving to replicate the vintage sound. If you don't achieve it you haven't got the tone. Magazine's don't help as they publish an article on a revered guitarist and then say to achieve the correct tone you need this or that Amp and the settings are this #%@&*.
The Amp they reference to is never a Yamaha THR, so I was totally misguided.
Now back into reality thanks to you guys.
I can't thank you enough, it has been a great journey  learning HOW TO SELECT MY FIRST AMP.
ps
And it didn't hurt at all.

Bob

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2021, 05:13:11 pm »
Yamaha THR10 v2 wireless iOS my first Amp purchase.
I can't thank you enough, it has been a great journey  learning HOW TO SELECT MY FIRST AMP.
ps
And it didn't hurt at all.
Bob
It’s been a pleasure Bob, I’m glad the community has given you the information to
a) save you some cash
b) save you what potentially could have been a lot of heartbreak
Enjoy your choice and learn to use it! Above all have fun!

Offline bobwill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2021, 05:45:07 pm »
It’s been a pleasure Bob, I’m glad the community has given you the information to
a) save you some cash
b) save you what potentially could have been a lot of heartbreak
Enjoy your choice and learn to use it! Above all have fun!

Darrell,
Thanks yes saved me both cash and heartbreak but will give me years of pleasure and will only add to the journey of learning to play guitar.

Bob

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2021, 06:14:04 pm »

As DarrrelW said, it's a total pleasure.

I think the best thing about this forum, and what makes it different from other forums, is that we are focused on helping people who are just starting out their guitar journey, and trying to make that as accessible, appropriate, and painless as possible.

Back in the day Amps had valves not solid state. The sound they gave is now referred to as vintage sound and some guitarists are striving to replicate the vintage sound. If you don't achieve it you haven't got the tone. Magazine's don't help as they publish an article on a revered guitarist and then say to achieve the correct tone you need this or that Amp and the settings are this #%@&*.

There is a some truth in this but, the problem is, there's a huge amount of "cork sniffing" and snobbery that goes on in the guitar world. And whilst the opinions are borne from a grain of truth, but they are often espoused as some sort of universally applicable "gospel" which they are not.

For a start, if you are practicing at "bedroom volumes" or with headphones, the subtle differences being discussed will not apply.

Secondly, it takes years of playing at relatively loud volumes to really understand and appreciate the subtle characteristics of tube amps which makes many people prefer them. A lot of it isn't really the tone, but how the amp reacts. As a beginner, you will not be able to hear or "feel" the difference.

And it's not necessarily "better", but just different. There are people out there who genuinely prefer solid-state amps over tube amps (although that's not a very "fashionable" opinion). And many artists (Robert Fripp, for example) have used, or still use, solid-state/modelling amps, especially for home use. There are well-known artists who will even use fairly low wattage solid-state amps, like the Vox Pathfinder, for gigs.

So, personally, I think you've made the right choice and you will have a great little practice amp that you can use for years into the future even if, in a few years time, you do decide to join a band and buy an ear-splitting 100W tube monster for gigging purposes.

Cheers,

Keith

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2021, 08:18:07 pm »
I’ve been following this thread with interest. Does the Yamaha THR10 v2 wireless have an FX loop?  I’ve searched various reviews but can’t find an answer, leading me to think that it doesn’t.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2021, 08:23:45 pm »
No, it does not. Nor does the THR30

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2021, 08:29:37 pm »
I’ve been following this thread with interest. Does the Yamaha THR10 v2 wireless have an FX loop?  I’ve searched various reviews but can’t find an answer, leading me to think that it doesn’t.
No it doesn’t, there are instructions on Instructables how to add one but obviously it would invalidate the warranty and you would need the required skills to do it. My BEAM doesn’t have one either but I still use specific pedals with it going into the normal input, you have to be careful what you use and in what order but for me it’s no big deal!

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2021, 08:45:38 pm »
Keith & Darrell. Thanks guys, I thought that must be the case when an FX loop wasn’t mentioned anywhere in the reviews.
I’ve got a Trio + pedal and the one thing that annoys me with my set up is loops, reverb, delay etc being put onto all the output. I can set my Katana onto a clean setting and use the effects on the Trio and in truth for my level that works ok, but if I’m going to upgrade, and the Yamaha is not cheap, I think I want an FX loop. Other than that it looks a lovely tidy lounge friendly amp.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2021, 08:55:40 pm »
Keith & Darrell. Thanks guys, I thought that must be the case when an FX loop wasn’t mentioned anywhere in the reviews.
I’ve got a Trio + pedal and the one thing that annoys me with my set up is loops, reverb, delay etc being put onto all the output. I can put the my Katana onto a clean setting and use the effects on the Trio and in truth for my level that works ok, but if I’m going to upgrade, and the Yamaha is not cheap, I think I want an FX loop. Other than that it looks a lovely tidy lounge friendly amp.
My other amp is a Hotone Mojo Diamond, it’s solid state, 5W output and has an fx loop. It’s a decent Fender clean emulation and does sound good. I have a Harley Benton 1x12 vintage Celestion CAB with it, it’s an amazing little combination!
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/hotone-mojo-diamond-mini-amplifier
And
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_1x12_guitar_cabinets.html
There’s a B stock for a good price!

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2021, 09:06:21 pm »
Hi Darrell thanks for that. It was the look of the Yamaha that was attracting me. Bluetooth, wireless, portable, unobtrusive. I don’t have a music room and my Katana sits in the corner of the lounge. I try to hide it behind the sofa but my better half can still see it although she got a grand piano for Christmas year before last 😂. I’m still tempted!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App