Author Topic: My first Amp  (Read 2834 times)

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 100
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
Re: My first Amp
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2020, 03:16:22 pm »
I’ll throw something else into the mix. I play my backing tracks through an Amazon ‘Alexa’ speaker using Spotify. I simply say “Alexa play a blues backing track in Dm” and away we go! 
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline bobwill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 06:22:03 pm »
Hi all,
Thank you for the reply's I have not gone away I have read each of the reply's and currently I have seventeen amps to consider.
Now this is going to take me a while to get through, there is the odd valve amp just to keep me happy (I think).
I have also seen two another amps not yet mentioned so please go easy on me when I say what they are. I can hear it now "haven't we already said" but anyway.
Marshall MG100H CFX
Marshall DSL1HR
Shout me off the pitch if I am way off still with my choices.

Bob

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 06:31:38 pm »
Hi all,
Thank you for the reply's I have not gone away I have read each of the reply's and currently I have seventeen amps to consider.
Now this is going to take me a while to get through, there is the odd valve amp just to keep me happy (I think!)
Marshall MG100H CFX
Marshall DSL1HR
Shout me off the pitch if I am way off still with my choices.
Bob
Marshall MG100H CFX - Noooo, way too much power - it would blow your windows out if you ever played it through a Cab!
Marshall DSL1HR - would be ok, 0.1 W output through a 1x12 cab would be ok, nice little amp!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2020, 07:19:40 pm »
Bob
You say the smaller the better right?

That to me says you need much smaller than a 12" speaker in a cab or combo.

Narrow it down to the small size / watt combo amps (THR or ID:CORE or ADIO etc)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 07:33:46 pm »
Bob
You say the smaller the better right?
That to me says you need much smaller than a 12" speaker in a cab or combo.
Narrow it down to the small size / watt combo amps (THR or ID:CORE or ADIO etc)
To a point I agree, the Cab Orange makes it pretty good on an 8” speaker; it all depends on how big is too big. My Hotone plus cab isn’t that much bigger than a small combo but the sounds of it are great. I think that an ID core or BEAM would be ideal but if FX would be a distraction then the Orange crush 20RT would be an excellent alternative.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 08:24:50 pm »
Well, arguably even an 8in speaker might be overkill for someone who isn't planning to use it at all.

On that basis, I would still recommend something like the THR/Adio/Katana Air or, maybe,  something like the Micro Terror, and if the OP wants a speaker in the future, they can add a cabinet to it.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 08:34:44 pm »
Well, arguably even an 8in speaker might be overkill for someone who isn't planning to use it at all.
On that basis, I would still recommend something like the THR/Adio/Katana Air or, maybe,  something like the Micro Terror, and if the OP wants a speaker in the future, they can add a cabinet to it.
Cheers,
Keith
Agreed, I’m just not 100% certain that Bob really doesn’t want to use a speaker, if this is a once only purchase it would be very restrictive not to have one. I think that Bob really needs to be absolutely sure about his longer term requirements and choose accordingly.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2020, 08:46:31 pm »
Agreed, I’m just not 100% certain that Bob really doesn’t want to use a speaker, if this is a once only purchase it would be very restrictive not to have one. ...

Also agreed ...

I still include multi-fx for this very reason.
One with amp simulations though.
I have the mark 1 version Zoom G3 which can act as an audio interface.
But ...

For some new, up-to-the-minute tech there is the Boss GT-001 desktop multi-fx desktop unit.

here

Premium amps and effects in a stylish desktop unit includes BOSS’ latest COSM amp models, powerful MDP effects, and more

Flexible routing of amps and effects through two effect chains

Advanced multi-channel USB audio/MIDI interface for flexible recording and efficient re-amping

Compatible with GT-100 Version 2.0 sound patches

Panel knobs for adjusting sounds and dedicated buttons for calling up favorite tones

BOSS TONE STUDIO editor/librarian for Mac/Windows and custom patches available at bosstonecentral.com

XLR mic input with phantom power; specially designed effects patches for vocals and acoustic guitars

1/8-inch input for connecting a stereo device such as a smart phone or music player

Monophonic guitar-to-MIDI conversion from normal 1/4-inch guitar input

Jack for connecting an expression pedal or up to two footswitches for real-time effects control and patch changes

Powered by USB bus or included AC adapter
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 09:32:20 pm by close2u »

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2020, 09:08:30 pm »
Just for info, I have a GT-001. It's a nice bit of kit. It's basically a desktop version of the GT-100. I've had it a few years. It's great for recording.

This was one of the devices I was helping to develop Linux support for.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2020, 09:13:18 pm »
Agreed, I’m just not 100% certain that Bob really doesn’t want to use a speaker, if this is a once only purchase it would be very restrictive not to have one. I think that Bob really needs to be absolutely sure about his longer term requirements and choose accordingly.
I don't disagree, but all of the above devices do have speakers, other than the Micro Terror which is a head, so you can add a speaker later if you need it.

Personally, I think it's unlikely to be his first purchase if he continues to play guitar longer term. Part of the journey is learning your personal preferences and setting new goals, which can often lead to changing requirements.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2020, 09:24:33 pm »
Personally, I think it's unlikely to be his first purchase if he continues to play guitar longer term. Part of the journey is learning your personal preferences and setting new goals, which can often lead to changing requirements.
Cheers,
Keith
I think that you’re most likely right about that but he does seem to want it to be a once off purchase, that’s really a concern to me knowing how most of us are, it’s a shame that we can’t actually speak to him to explain our concerns!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2020, 09:34:04 pm »
Just for info, I have a GT-001. It's a nice bit of kit. It's basically a desktop version of the GT-100. I've had it a few years. It's great for recording.

Wow.
Didn't know that - I don't recall seeing it in your roadcase.

This was one of the devices I was helping to develop Linux support for.
Double wow.
:)

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2020, 09:47:40 pm »
Wow.
Didn't know that - I don't recall seeing it in your roadcase.
Double wow.
:)

I haven't specifically mentioned it in my Road Case yet. I was considering doing a "Audio interfaces past and present" type post at some stage. I consider the GT-001 much more an audio interface/PC companion than a standalone device, even though it can be used on its own. I actually took the GT-001 to Tokyo with me as a sort of "portable guitar amp" setup along with my Telecaster when I went back there early in 2020.

For the Linux support, I was working with the kernel developer on a range of Roland/Boss devices. In the post I mentioned it in, I didn't state which ones, but they included the Katana and the GT-001.

At the moment thing are a bit on hold for me due to family issues. I was planning an entry into the Xmas competition, but that is now probably not happening as I'm currently staying with my parents.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:11:47 pm by Majik »

Offline bobwill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2021, 05:08:21 pm »
Hi, All
I have been busy checking through the Amps suggested because they were suggestion's from my question I guess any one of them would have been OK for MY First Amp (probably my only ever Amp) they are as follows:-
Black Star BEAM (and various other models)
Blackstar HT-5R MkII
Blackstar HT-5RH MkII
Boss GT-001 multifx
Boss Katana Head MK11
Boss Katana  mini
Boss Katana  air
Digitech Multifx
Fender LT25
Fender Mustang 2
Mojo Diamond
Orange crush 20 RT
Orange Micro Terror
Roland Cube Street
Spark practice amp
Vox Adio GT
Yamaha THR
Zoom G series multifx
Marshall MG100H CFX
Marshall DSL1H

I have looked at each Amp and made judgements as to what will I purchase/want to own and come up with the following long short list.
Is there any Amp I have rejected that should be shortlisted and I would regret not having a second look at or conversely anything on my long/short list that would be a mistake to purchase.
My long/short list is as follows:-
Blackstar HT-5RH MkII
Boss Katana Head MK11
Mojo Diamond
Orange crush 20 RT
Spark practice amp
Vox Adio GT
Yamaha THR
Depending on what you advise me next I will look at these in more depth and hopefully come to a decision on MY First Amp.

Thanks in advance
Bob

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2021, 05:55:00 pm »
Some nice choices there Bob, all of them are pretty good amps. Of them if you want some built in fx the Yamaha would be my choice, I often regret getting my BEAM instead of it but the Yamaha won’t really do Bass which I wanted at the time. If you want simple with the option of adding fx later the Orange crush is an excellent choice, it’s as good as my Mojo Diamond with the CAB, you definitely wouldn’t go wrong with either of those!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2021, 05:56:44 pm »
The latest THRs work well with a bass guitar. Not that it seems to be a factor for the OP.

The Spark, THR and Adio will work with Bluetooth, which is really useful for streaming backing tracks from a phone or tablet to play along with.

I own the Spark and THR if you have any questions about either of them.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline bobwill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2021, 06:03:48 pm »
Some nice choices there Bob, all of them are pretty good amps. Of them if you want some built in fx the Yamaha would be my choice, I often regret getting my BEAM instead of it but the Yamaha won’t really do Bass which I wanted at the time. If you want simple with the option of adding fx later the Orange crush is an excellent choice, it’s as good as my Mojo Diamond with the CAB, you definitely wouldn’t go wrong with either of those!

Darrell thank you for the input the list is in alphabetical order so shows the Yahama at the bottom but currently it is first choice, that may change.

Offline bobwill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2021, 06:09:06 pm »
The latest THRs work well with a bass guitar. Not that it seems to be a factor for the OP.

The Spark, THR and Adio will work with Bluetooth, which is really useful for streaming backing tracks from a phone or tablet to play along with.

I own the Spark and THR if you have any questions about either of them.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith,
Thank you I will probably be asking questions.
Bob

Offline bobwill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2021, 05:49:50 pm »
Hi all,
Questions again sorry but.
I have just finished a practice session with a spot of learning a new song. I have found that for me playing along with a backing track helps to get the speed of the song (BPM) correct. I am having to repetitively play the song alongside the backing track (a metronome doesn't work for me) to get it up to speed.
Is there a way I can play along to a backing track but only record the guitar I am playing, this is while I am using headphones for the listening. 

Bob

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2021, 05:54:25 pm »
All of the devices I know of with USB recording will do that. The aux input or Bluetooth streaming audio does not come down the USB to the computer.

This is certainly the case with the Yamaha THR and the Spark.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline bobwill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2021, 06:19:38 pm »
Thanks again that's reassuring.
The Yamaha is looking to be the top of the list but it is fighting off the Boss Katana Head MK11 currently.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 07:54:01 pm by close2u »

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2021, 06:30:16 pm »
Personally, for your stated use I would lean toward the THR: it's physically smaller, slightly easier to use, includes Bluetooth streaming for backing tracks (or music playing), and is very portable.

The Katana Head is great, but it's really designed to plug into a speaker cabinet. If you think you will never do this, it will still work fine, but seems overkill to me as you won't be using a big part of the amp.

I think the swing would be whether you ever think you will need a loud guitar amp with a speaker for gigging, or rehearsals, etc. in the future. If you definitely see this happening then the Katana Head would be better for this. If you don't anticipate it every happening then the THR is probably the better choice.

Bear in mind if things change in a few years, there's nothing stopping you getting another amp.

I should mention, I don't have a Katana Head, but I do have the Katana 100 Mk 1.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2021, 07:19:49 pm »
Darrell thank you for the input the list is in alphabetical order so shows the Yahama at the bottom but currently it is first choice, that may change.
If you do go for the Yamaha make sure that it’s the THR 10 II, that’s definitely the best one to go for, it’s got more features than the THR 5 and they are the most useful features!

Offline bobwill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2021, 06:09:58 pm »

Hi all,
 Ok so I have nearly made a decision based on the fantastic advice given to me by your good selves, you are a mine of information and experience.
Endless poring through reviews is no replacement for experienced users who are not trying to sell something each explaining the pitfalls or benefits of one over the other.
I really do thank you all it has been an eye opening experience for me and much appreciated.

I say nearly made my decision this is because I have just one last question.
I will be purchasing a Yamaha THR with three to choose from which one please THR 10 V2, THR 10 V2 wireless or the THR 30 V2 wireless,
I think the wireless version will suit my requirements because of its portability I have already started to think about using it outside, so my wanting" NO SPEAKERS" is a U turn. The 10 has 20 Watts and the 30 has 30 Watts output alongside additional line outputs.
Is the 30 be a problem with being too loud and in what scenario would I use the additional line outputs it has.

Bob 

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2021, 06:30:35 pm »
In your case I would probably go for the THR10 II wireless, it’s got plenty enough output for a practice amp, turned up it could possibly cope with using in a small bar for performance but turned down it would be quiet enough not to annoy your neighbours.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App