Author Topic: My first Amp  (Read 2835 times)

Offline bobwill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
My first Amp
« on: December 29, 2020, 05:44:36 pm »
Sorry this question will have been asked and answered a zillion times but each one will be personal to the poster, mine no exception.
I have been learning guitar for 14 months started off with one to one with a tutor stopped because of covid found Justins site and have no intention of going back.
I started with an acoustic guitar of some age EKO texan and last Christmas my wife gave me a present of a Tanglewood TSB58 electric guitar. I have been learning with this guitar for the last 12 months and have not plugged it into an Amp.
I am looking for an Amp that will allow me to listen through my headphones and record to my laptop without using a speaker and microphone.
Now you must understand I know nothing about Amps except the obvious they make the guitar louder.
Reading on the internet so many contradicting statements about solid state and valve Amps and how this is the best solid state Amp because it sounds just like a valve Amp. To me thats like a lady being told to put on this makeup it looks natural. So do without it and be natural and save the bother.
Sorry of the subject, I have two amps I am looking at both by Laney (a company just round the corner from me the two Amps are Chinese made)
1,/ Laney L5 studio
2,/ Laney IRT studio.
They both will allow me to practice silently and record and both are low power valve one lower than the other. At the moment I am favouring the L5 studio because of its lower power and its packaging.
Can I ask should look at something different have I been brainwashed by the internet reviewers.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: My first Amp
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 08:16:27 pm »
... I am looking for an Amp that will allow me to listen through my headphones and record to my laptop without using a speaker and microphone.
Not an amp loud enough to play alongside a drummer and a bass player or for rehearsals or gigs then?

... statements about ... how this is the best solid state Amp because it sounds just like a valve Amp.
Only people with valve amp experience in situations where they have been able to play them at great volume would think this way ... and even then mostly just the tone-snobs and purists. Solid state amps are now so advanced they are good amps in their own right. Period.

... have I been brainwashed by the internet reviewers. 

Yes.

You do not need a valve amp in your situation.
Period.
You will never use its potential.
5 watts is too loud for home use.
And if you never intend running it through the speaker but only headphones or as a connector to a computer then you need it even less.

For your purposes you could easily use one of many multi-fx pedals that have headphone out and USB connection for emulated line out to computer.

Or, more likely, you would benefit from a small solid-state amp that has headphone out, aux in and USB connector.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:33:31 pm by close2u »

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 08:19:52 pm »
IMO you would be best with some sort of digital modelling amp. (or even just a multifx pedal as Close2u suggests).

Depending on your space and requirements, the following would be good candidates:

Fender Mustang
Boss Katana (also mini and Air)
Black Star BEAM (and various other models)
Yamaha THR
Boss GT-1 multifx
Zoom G series multifx
Digitech Multifx

Most modelling amps sound good at low volume and through headphones and many sound great at higher volumes. They include speaker simulation and most will record direct to a PC over USB.

Some of these amps are also great little Bluetooth speakers.

If this is your first amp, I would suggest to not get too "cork sniffy" about it. There's a lot of opinion (and, frankly, opinionated nonsense) about various types of amp on the Internet. As a beginner playing at low volume, using headphones, and wanting to record as easily as possible, most of it doesn't apply to you.

It also will not be (assuming you continue to play guitar for many years) the only amp you ever buy. If you decide you want a tube amp in the future, that is best for a future purchase when you know what sort of tube amp you want.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 09:10:42 pm »
An amp that does goed cleans, hs some built in reverb and delay abd some handy functions like headphone output, perhaps even usb to use it as a real time audio device, wired up to your computer.

That fact that it is solid state or valve doens't matter much here.
I seldom use my acoustic with my valve amp.

Question though:
Do you plan on singing any time soon?

I use e Roland Cube Street so sing and play electro-acoustic guitar with. I use it at home and for busking.
9v adapter but economic (seperately sold) rechargeable battery use, 2x6.5"speakers bring clear sound for both microphone and guitar.
It has some built in effects, is handy enough to store somewhere, doesn't weigh much but has a sturdy build. I think it is about £250.
Not saying you should buy it but it is a versatile device.
I also use it as small PA system.
You could even use it for 2 mics if you use a converter cable (xlr to 1/4" jack) 
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 09:40:10 pm »
Bob, Laney have always made nice valve amps but even at 15W they are crazy loud, I used to play through Laney or Orange amps for years but was never able to get the best out of them. To be honest you would be spending a lot of money on something that you would struggle to be able to use to its real potential. I have a Blackstar BEAM now that allows me to play Bass (Uke bass), Electric, Acoustic and MP3 via Bluetooth; hence the acronym! It’s playable at home volume levels and will record directly into your computer. The fx available are good and the whole thing sounds good. A Boss Katana is another good option as is a Yamaha THR, if you really want a valve amp leave it until you have a lot more experience and are able to use it properly; it’s a great deal of money to be thinking of spending on a first amp.

Offline bobwill

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 05:42:06 pm »
Just how wrong can I be when choosing an amp (very wrong by the looks of things).

I had discounted Modelling Amps because of the what I feel will be a distraction to me. The capability to emulate a large number of vintage amp sounds WILL just keep me away from learning to play by my messing (I will just try this, no try this then and so on) I know what I am like.

I did not want a speaker output currently just to be able to listen through headphones.
The guitar I am using is a Tanglewood TSB 58 (a 1958 Gibson Les Paul copy) so an Amp that compliments this guitar is what I would like.

Size, physical size is a factor as I don't want a large box mainly housing a speaker, the smaller the better.
Recording, I want to record what I play to analyse this to make improvements and to present to the forum for feedback.
What would be the icing on the cake would be the ability listen to backing tracks and my playing through the headphones but record only the guitar. I have not found this facility yet.

I had convinced myself that a studio Amp would be a good setup for headphones only but have the ability to connect a speaker if required at a later date.

I have no intention of ever playing with others it is just for my own entertainment and currently my wife's amusement.

It is unlikely that I would ever purchase another guitar or amplifier what I get is what I will stay with.

I did look at a Fender Mustang as a used purchase but Fender had stopped software support for this model so I walked away, this is another cause of concern for me purchasing a modelling Amp.

I am looking at the Amps so far suggested but please do keep the suggestions coming I am not in any hurry to make the purchase, I just want to get it correct.

Bob

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 05:58:54 pm »
Modelling amps don't have to be complex. Historically they were and some still are. Personally I'm not a fan of these myself.

If you are after something simpler, then maybe the Fender LT25 would be a good option.

The Boss Katana is also easy to use out of the box, really only having 5 main amp tones (none of which are advertised as emulating specific amps) and you can do a lot with them straight from the top panel just by turning a few knobs: no menus to scroll through or anything like that.

If you want to get tweaky with the onboard effects you can use the Tone Studio software, but that isn't essential, and even with the software there are only 5 main amp types. Unlike other modelling amps, the Katana is it's own thing and generally doesn't try to emulate other amps.

Smaller amps like the Vox Adio and Yamaha THR series are even simpler, with a smaller range of onboard effects, and are very easy to use from the physical controls. It's still modelling technology but packaged in a way which offers all of the low-volume/headphone/recording advantages and convenience of modelling in packages which are similar to use as a tube amp.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 06:49:16 pm »
Bob, this may be a good option, no complications just a simple but great amp that will keep you happy for a long while!
https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/orange/crush-amps/orange-crush-20rt-guitar-amplifier-combo
I know these amps well and for what they are they are very difficult to beat!

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 11:58:52 pm »
Orange make great amps. I love my little Micro Terror. And they have a speaker-emulated line out that you should be able to connect into a recording interface to get decent tones. You will need a separate audio interface though.

Another one to look at, if you have the budget (it's about the same price as the Laney L5), would be the HT-5R MkII. This is a new version of a well regarded low-wattage tube amp (actually a hybrid tube/solid state amp), but the latest version has a built-in USB recording interface with cabinet emulation. I've not used this particular model myself, but I have used the original and it's a great little amp.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 12:20:56 am by Majik »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 03:51:21 am »
I also have one of these,
http://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/nano-legacy/mojo-diamond
It’s a fabulous tiny amp head that produces classic Fender tones, it has everything that you would need but you would want an audio interface to plug into your computer, Focusrite make good inexpensive ones. I use mine with a Harley Benton vintage Celestion (1x10) cab it sounds wonderful! - My bad, it’s actually a 1x12”, my old cab was a 1x10” with a Jensen speaker!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 12:30:13 pm by DarrellW »

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 10:19:26 am »
Those Harley Benton cabs are great. I have the 1x12 with a Celestion Vintage 30.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 10:31:17 am »
Those Harley Benton cabs are great. I have the 1x12 with a Celestion Vintage 30.
Cheers,
Keith
Yes I remember your saying, I replaced my home spun cab with it based on your experience, they’re unreal for what they cost!

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 10:38:09 am »
Are we still talking about an amp for an acoustic guitar? Or did I miss something? :D
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 10:46:43 am »
From the OP

...last Christmas my wife gave me a present of a Tanglewood TSB58 electric guitar. I have been learning with this guitar for the last 12 months and have not plugged it into an Amp.

Cheers,

Keith

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:33:19 am by Majik »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 10:59:13 am »
I am looking for an Amp that will allow me to listen through my headphones and record to my laptop without using a speaker and microphone.

...  I had discounted Modelling Amps ... a distraction to me ... WILL just keep me away from learning to play ....

You do not need to play with all the buttons. I had a Peavey vypyr. Loads of buttons and bells and whistles. I mainly used a clean setting with a touch of reverb.
But I see your point - simple is good.

...  I did not want a speaker output currently just to be able to listen through headphones.
An amp head would give that as would a multi-fx pedal.

... The guitar I am using is a Tanglewood TSB 58 (a 1958 Gibson Les Paul copy) so an Amp that compliments this guitar is what I would like ...
There is no one amp that best compliments one sort of guitar - it makes virtually no difference tbh.

... Size, physical size is a factor as I don't want a large box mainly housing a speaker, the smaller the better...
Point taken.
A small amp or head or multi-fx.

Recording, I want to record what I play ...
You want a usb output or an emulated line output.
You may need a small audio-interface depending on what you choose.

What would be the icing on the cake would be the ability listen to backing tracks and my playing through the headphones but record only the guitar. I have not found this facility yet...
There are many amps etc that have mp3 aux in but I'm not sure without research if any remove the mp3 track when sending to record via the output.

... I have no intention of ever playing with others it is just for my own entertainment and currently my wife's amusement.
Another reason a valve amp isn't needed. Even a 1 watt Blackstar HT1R 1 watt is too loud in a bedroom if turned up past say 1/4 volume.

... It is unlikely that I would ever purchase another guitar or amplifier what I get is what I will stay with ...  I am not in any hurry to make the purchase, I just want to get it correct.
Sensible.

I did look at a Fender Mustang as a used purchase but Fender had stopped software support for this model so I walked away, this is another cause of concern for me purchasing a modelling Amp.
Some amps do have software / online support etc that will likely have built in obsolescence. It won't stop the amp from working though.

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
  • SoCal kid living in my RV in Florida
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 11:27:41 am »
Form a beginner's perspective - I researched a few amps.  I have no intentions of becoming a stage performer.  I do want to play electric blues and some 60's and 70's rock.

I started with an iRig and an iPad - that's enough to practice, you can send the guitar through one of the many "amp" apps if you want to mess around with different guitar sounds but as someone said above the amount of stuff you can add to an amp setup is practically endless - Justin has a pretty good (but confusing for a beginner) primer on the website.

So I looked at amps and ended up buying a Mustang 2 - It's no where near the "stupid" column for a first amp and has some fun built in presets.

Then in a classic case of buyer's remorse I clicked on an ad for the "Spark" amo by Positive Grid.  This is exaclty what I would have bought first.  The built in features are astonishing. As a beginner I want to stream backing tracks, mess around a little with different effects, and eventually play along with tracks from YouTUbe - This thing does all that internal to the amp.  It's a pretty cool piece of kit.

https://www.positivegrid.com/spark/?gclid=CjwKCAiA57D_BRAZEiwAZcfCxQPHgYX32bpNNBpZ2F0Oy6uucWc8fqD0rjHO0_869ft0OvbgoXpyOxoCqPgQAvD_BwE#order-info

But I didn't just stop there - I watched some reviews. This one is probably the quickest to figure out what this thing is capable of.  I definitely would have spent the extra bucks for this. (Anyone want to buy a hardly used Mustang 2 - LOL)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQZJ7k49ok
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:53:45 am by Ex-Calif »
New old guy getting on the Blues path
Picked up the guitar again Dec 17, 2020
Fender Squire Bullet Strat & Fender Mustang I v2
iRig - iPad - MPOW BT Receiver - Pyle Mixer
"Learn what you need to learn when you need to learn it" - JS

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 11:33:00 am »
Read this topic and the linked comment for thoughts on the Spark.
It arrived in a blaze of glory and has been hyped beyond compare.
It is not the answer to everybody's prayers.
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48008.0

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 11:46:10 am »
Then in a classic case of buyer's remorse I clicked on an ad for the "Spark" amo by Positive Grid.  This is exaclty what I would have bought first.  The built in features are astonishing.

I disagree. It's a good amp. It is not "astonishing" or really that different from many other amps on the market, other than the level of hype it's received.

As a beginner I want to stream backing tracks, mess around a little with different effects, and eventually play along with tracks from YouTUbe.

You can do that with ANY amp which has an aux input or bluetooth. There are many amps from Line 6, Boss, Blackstar, Yamaha and others which will do this via Bluetooth and which have been available for years. If you don't have Bluetooth, you can add it to any amp with an aux input wth a £25 dongle.

This thing does all that internal to the amp.

No, this is totally untrue. It does not.

The amp itself is not really any different from other small, Bluetooth enabled practice amps out there including Yamaha THR, Line 6 Amplifi, Vox Adio, Boss Katana Air, Blackstar BEAM and many others including the newer Bluetooth equipped Fender Mustangs.

On it's own it CANNOT play backing tracks or YouTube videos.

ALL of the clever stuff is done on the supplied app which runs on your phone or tablet and this is just streamed to the Spark via Bluetooth. Even the metronome runs on the app and is streamed to the amp via Bluetooth.

For most of the play-along functionality, you don't even need the Spark app. If you want, for instance, to play along to backing tracks from Spotify or Youtube, you can just do this using Bluetooth and the Spotify or Youtube app as normal. And, frankly, I find the Spark player for these quite clunky compared to the normal apps.

So, get yourself a Bluetooth dongle, plug it into the line-in on your Mustang, and you will have 98% of the capabilities of the Spark.

By the way, I speak from first hand knowledge. I have a Spark amp.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 11:48:12 am »
There are many amps etc that have mp3 aux in but I'm not sure without research if any remove the mp3 track when sending to record via the output.

I think most, if not all of them, do not mix the aux-input into the recording output. At least this has been my experience of both amps ad multifx pedals.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2020, 12:03:08 pm »
I reckon gear is probably the holy grail of a guitar forum - I expect the reason there are so many devices out there is the desire to drive one's sound.

I do have a solution right now to streaming and all that - but I also have a rats nest (to me) of wires on my practice desk.  As a beginner I have no expertise here, for sure.  What I do have is a beginner's perspective.

Beginner's need it to be dead simple so we can focus on playing guitar, not getting a master's degree in guitar equipment.  Sure I can "buy more stuff" to do what the Spark does vs. the Mustang 2 but the point is anyone wo wants to do that needs to a) Know what to buy. b) buy more stuff c) have more stuff to "manage" while learning.

The question for the experienced guys is, "Is buying a Spark in the stupid column for a beginner?"  Ultimately everyone has to decide for themselves.

TBH I am streaming Blues backing tracks from YouTube so I can practice Pentatonic scales I have the Ipad plaing on a BT speaker and I am plying through the amp.  It's a good tip that I can get a BT dongle for the amp and port the iPad into the amp that is helpful - anyone got a recommended link? I am def in for simplifying my practice setup and eliminating a BT speaker and some wires...

Oh - when I say complexity I also include the power to run these devices - rechargeable is fine but I play for 4 hours sometimes and everything needs to be powered so I have USB power cables running everywhere too - LOL...

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2020, 12:15:27 pm »
Beginner's need it to be dead simple so we can focus on playing guitar, not getting a master's degree in guitar equipment.  Sure I can "buy more stuff" to do what the Spark does vs. the Mustang 2 but the point is anyone wo wants to do that needs to a) Know what to buy. b) buy more stuff c) have more stuff to "manage" while learning.

Yes, but my point is, you could have bought the Mustang GT, or the Katana Air, or Yamaha THR, or many other amps which have that Bluetooth streaming built in. The Spark is in no way "special" or "revolutionary". Fundamentally, it's the same as practice amps that have been around for years.

The question for the experienced guys is, "Is buying a Spark in the stupid column for a beginner?"  Ultimately everyone has to decide for themselves.

It's not stupid to get a Spark, but I think it's foolhardy to buy a Spark thinking it's significantly different from anything else on the market (it's not) or that it will magically solve some issue with your current set up (it probably won't).

Depending on your needs the Spark might be the best thing for you but, equally, another amp could be a much better choice.

The Spark is a nice practice amp, and great value for money. But it's not a silver bullet.

TBH I am streaming Blues backing tracks from YouTube so I can practice Pentatonic scales I have the Ipad plaing on a BT speaker and I am plying through the amp.  It's a good tip that I can get a BT dongle for the amp and port the iPad into the amp that is helpful - anyone got a recommended link? I am def in for simplifying my practice setup and eliminating a BT speaker and some wires...

These things are sold all over the place. You will need a USB power supply:

https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/products/tonelink

The question I would ask is: does streaming to your amp rather than to a Bluetooth speaker really give you anything?

The chances are the sound quality will be worse through your amp (amps are generally designed for guitar frequencies). Unless there is something about your Bluetooth speaker that you specifically don't like, then it sounds like the best solution to me.

I purchased a Tone:Link for my tube amp. It worked great, but I found streaming via my hifi system (Sonos) was easier and sounded better, so I don't use the Tone:Link any more.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2020, 12:34:44 pm »
I should point out that I bought the Spark because it looked intriguing and, at the time, I was looking for a reasonably portable solution which could also double as a Bluetooth speaker I could use on long business trips, such as in my apartment in Singapore whilst I was staying there for 5 months.

I'm in a position where I'm lucky enough to be able to buy stuff like this without worrying too much about the space or money. If you look at my Road Case you will see I have quite a collection of guitars and amps, many of which don't get that much use depending on my whims and working practices at any given time.

As it was, the long delivery time on the Spark meant I didn't get it until after I returned from Singapore, and I ended up buying a Yamaha THR whilst I was out there. The Yamaha THR and the Spark are VERY similar.

I think the Spark is stronger when it comes to modelling and has more variety of effects, but the speakers are very bass heavy and I find it quite unbalanced. The sound through headphones/recording is far better than the speakers. The better bass response suits bass guitars well.

Personally I've grown past being obsessed with trying to model specific tones and I just want to be able to dial in a tone I like. I can do that on my THR (and my Katana) easily and I find the sound more balanced across the frequency range than the Spark. I find using the Spark a little more "faffy". Maybe it's psychological as the Spark does have similar physical controls to the THR, but I find myself turning on the tablet and loading the app to use the Spark more than I do with the THR.

The THR doesn't have the bass frequency response for bass guitar that the Spark has, but it still sounds good with bass guitar.

Overall, if I had to chose between the Yamaha THR and the Spark, I would chose the THR because that suits my needs and preferences better. But I do have the luxury of having both and not having to choose. My Spark is currently getting more use at the moment simply because of where I have placed it. If I swapped some stuff around, I might use the THR more. When summer comes and we start using the garden again, the THR will be used loads more. If I have to do any long term business trips, it will be the THR I take with me.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2020, 12:36:55 pm »
Yes, but my point is, you could have bought the Mustang GT, or the Katana Air, or Yamaha THR, or many other amps which have that Bluetooth streaming built in. The Spark is in no way "special" or "revolutionary". Fundamentally, it's the same as practice amps that have been around for years.

I didn't mean to imply revolutionary - I think I was trying to focus on "simple" based on what OP was wanting to do.

https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/products/tonelink

The question I would ask is: does streaming to your amp rather than to a Bluetooth speaker really give you anything?

The chances are the sound quality will be worse through your amp (amps are generally designed for guitar frequencies). Unless there is something about your Bluetooth speaker that you specifically don't like, then it sounds like the best solution to me.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks for the link.

I am sure there are gadgets to do it but sending the backtrack to a different source means I can't put everything into my headset at once.  I like to be able to do all this 24X7 and not disturb room-mates.

Like I said the iPad and iRig does this. I find a backing track on YouTube and then stream all the output to my headset from the iRig.

I totally get that a large amount of the Spark "capability" comes from the app.

And again in the land of simplicity a lot f experienced guys forget what it's like to go to a guitar store and be overwhelmed with choices. I am an engineer by trade - If I let my inner engineer run lose I would be in analysis paralysis for months....

Offline Ex-Calif

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 12:40:51 pm »
I should point out that I bought the Spark because it looked intriguing and, at the time, I was looking for a reasonably portable solution which could also double as a Bluetooth speaker I could use on long business trips, such as in my apartment in Singapore whilst I was staying there for 5 months.

Small world - I lived in Asia for 25 years and lived in Singapore for 10 of them. Loved living there but honestly don't miss it as much as I thought I would. Def need to get out of Dayton Ohio, though - LOL...

@Bobwill - Sorry for hijacking your thread - I'll shut up now - LOL...

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 216
    • My Road Case
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 12:46:21 pm »
I didn't mean to imply revolutionary - I think I was trying to focus on "simple" based on what OP was wanting to do.

It probably would. But other amps would do this equally well, and equally as "simple". I don't see anything about the Spark that makes it stand out for the OPs needs versus other practice amps in the same class.

As Close2U has suggested, the OP may not even need an amp. Many Multifx units will meet the OP's needs very well.

I am sure there are gadgets to do it but sending the backtrack to a different source means I can't put everything into my headset at once.  I like to be able to do all this 24X7 and not disturb room-mates.

Like I said the iPad and iRig does this. I find a backing track on YouTube and then stream all the output to my headset from the iRig.

Are you talking about Bluetooth headphones? Certainly the Spark won't work with Bluetooth headphones. I don't think any amps do, as the latency on BT headphones is an issue for a lot of players.

If you want to mix multiple sources into BT headphones, it sounds like the solution you have is probably the best and the least "faffy". If you are happy with wired headphones then, of course, most of these practice amps can mix an aux-in or Bluetooth input along with the guitar and output to wired headphones. In that case, for you the Tone:Link might work well with your Mustang.

Cheers,

Keith

Get The Forum As A Mobile App