Author Topic: Katana Tones for a newbie  (Read 902 times)

Offline fint

• Good Vibes 0
Katana Tones for a newbie
« on: December 04, 2020, 03:50:50 pm »
Hi Guys,

I picked up a Katana 100 (the mk1 when it first came out) and I've been messing with it... for the life if me I am having a difficult time getting a decent tone out of it.  I have a PRS CE 24 and am trying to see if I can get it to approximate the tone from Gone Away (Yeah, not a hard song, but I personally am old and am new to guitar.

Could someone here that's more savvy than I point me in the right direction on how to get this thing to sound decent?

Online adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 73
Re: Katana Tones for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 04:01:42 pm »
Hi not sure about a particular tone you mentioned but there is a facebook group for katana users where ppl share patches, I suggest joining it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2098357327092217/?ref=share

You can use a searchbar to navigate around past posts, I typed in the title but as usual search tool is not brilliant and there is plenty of unrelevant stuff. I also don't know if you meant Offspring or Five fingers song in this instance.

Hope that remotely helps?

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 101
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 04:08:36 pm »
Hi fint
I am a relative beginner so no big expert in this. I have a Katana 50.
The first thing to say is you’ll never accurately replicate the sound of the original song as so much post performance production fx will have been added by the mixing engineers.

When I first got my Katana I downloaded lots of patches that gave this tone and that tone, this effect and that effect. Most were rubbish as one person’s idea of what is a ‘country’, ‘blues’, ‘dire straits’, ‘ac/dc’ etc etc etc sound is different from the next.
In fact one of the patches I downloaded contained a virus which caused all the amps lights to come on, none of the dials worked and I had do a factory reset to get things working again and in doing so lost all the patches and presets that I’d uploaded. So take care!

As a beginner, you can also spend an inordinate amount of time fiddling with settings when you should be learning guitar.

I now tend use a bit of gain, some reverb, some delay and just add from there using the guitar controls. As I say I’m certainly no expert and I’m sure others will come along and offer more experienced advice.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 04:27:11 pm by sairfingers »
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎. Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 04:22:18 pm »
What he said ^^^^

There is this saying: "tone is in the fingers". There's a lot of truth in it.

When I first started playing, I had a small amp (a Roland Cube 20). The clean tones on it seemed OK, but I could never get anything good out of it on the higher-gain sounds I thought the amp was a bit rubbish.

Now I can play better, I revisited that amp not long ago, and it's actually pretty good. What was hampering me getting a good sound out of it was me.

The other thing to bear in mind is that what you are hearing on the record is not the sound of the amp. It's the sound of the amp after being recorded. A recorded amp sounds different from the sound of an amp in the room with you. The recording is coloured by the microphone, the mic placement, the recording room, and the pre-amps.

On top of that, the mixing engineer will be modifying the recorded tone further using EQ, and other plugin effects.

And you are hearing the guitar in the context of the band, which will change your perception of how it sounds.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline fint

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 04:37:17 pm »
Thanks guys. 

The gear stuff has confused me a bit from the start and all the options on the katana sort of make me feel like I'm drinking from a firehose.  I have no idea what most of this stuff is and I'm trying to mess around a bit with recording.

There's just so much to learn lol.

Some direct responses -

"Tone is in the fingertips" - For sure.  I've found that touch really does have great effect on playing.  Very true!

Patch files with viruses - Damn lol.  That's pretty terrible.

@adi_mrok  I have joined this group and am messing around there.  At least trying to see what's going into those patches to get a better idea as to what people are doing.  I just got in this morning, so haven't played around with it much.  Thanks for the suggestion and it is helpful.

Anyway, thank you all.  I'll keep at it.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 05:17:16 pm »
Hi fint I'd echo what people have said. If you're newbie to these types of amp then you need to start with just the amp and no effects (to start with). I've have Katana 100 and PR SE Custom 24.

You said the song Gone Away but who's it by? Let me know and I'll see what I can dial in on mine and let you know. One thing about the Katana is that it's pretty easy to dial in a clean or dirty (overdriven ) tone so it shouldn't be hard to get close to something that'll work for you.

I often it's better to look for YT videos of the song being played live either by the artist or cover bands to see what their sound approximates to. It's no good listening to the studio recording...too much post production will have been done.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline fint

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 06:42:00 pm »
Hi Rossco01,

Thanks for your reply.  The song in question is Gone Away by The Offspring.

Good advice from you and all about the recording vs the the real sound of the guitar. 

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 07:20:32 pm »
I guessed it probably was. This is just a normal overdriven slightly distorted sound. It sounds like like they double tracked or done something on the studio track to give it that whine in the guitar. Actually if you look at this live performance

you can see that the lead and rhythm guitarist are playing the chords at different positions (I can't tell if one is playing triads or not) which is giving that doubling effect. Overall that live performance the rhythm guitar on it's own is just slightly overdriven.

Basically you need to set your Katana to crunch, put the gain up halfway, perhaps turn the bass down to 10 o'clock, 12 o'clock for the middle, 2 o'clock for the treble. You also need to play power chords in pumping 8s  i.e. you strum down 8 times per chord. That will start to get you close...perhaps you then add in via the tonestudio software a tube screamer to get the higher end.

I did a very quick and dirty video with the above settings (see picture below as well) so you can see what it sounds like...sorry the sound quality isn't great but it was on my phone. This only needs a little fine tuning to be usable though.

Settings

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XMKS9wlQVfI_Q6ALD_BCg-yO8_xd8m4W/view?usp=sharing
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1

Offline fint

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 07:32:06 pm »
Thanks!  I'll give this a try! Thank you very much for the info!  I really appreciate the effort!  Your sound vid is marked private, but I'll give it a shot when I get home from work today and mess with it from there.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 07:51:59 pm »
No problem you should be able to see the video link now....You should be able to get the basic tone with just the crunch channel and just adjustments on the gain and eq.

Offline fint

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 07:58:43 pm »
Sounds good!  I'm looking forward to trying it!  Love the PRS!  Thanks again, Rossco.  I do appreciate it!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App