Author Topic: Buzzing problem traced to bridge plate. What would you do?  (Read 1204 times)

Offline MrSifter

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Buzzing problem traced to bridge plate. What would you do?
« on: November 30, 2020, 03:23:21 pm »
I have a beginner's acoustic guitar and had experienced buzzing in one of the strings.

I tried almost everything - changing strings, checking fret levels, checking the neck, re-seating the bridge pins. Nothing helped.

Then my son got curious & somehow stuck a mirror in the sound hole & looked around. What he saw was that the hole in the bridge plate for the buzzing string was somehow larger than the others. And he said that the ball end of the string looked like it was going to catch against the soundboard soon (the others were seated firmly against the bridge plate!)

What can I do? What are my options? Thanks
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 04:12:57 pm by MrSifter »

Offline GregB

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
Re: Buzzing problem traced to worn out bridge plate. What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 03:35:08 pm »
I have a beginner's acoustic guitar and had experienced buzzing in one of the strings.

I tried almost everything - changing strings, checking fret levels, checking the neck, re-seating the bridge pins. Nothing helped.

Then my son got curious & somehow stuck a mirror in the sound hole & looked around. What he saw was that the hole in the bridge plate for the buzzing string was somehow larger than the others. And he said that the ball end of the string looked like it was going to catch against the soundboard soon (the others were seated firmly against the bridge plate!)

What can I do? What are my options? Thanks

No experience of these but looks like just what you need from a respected company.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-bridges/plate-mate.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2020-12-gp&pref_currency=P&shipcalc=UK&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs71UeGIA_sgGsSsIf3Y3JuWduxSKIGvCdOMVKriHweLKvmQXjPbfczQaAga3EALw_wcB

Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline MrSifter

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Buzzing problem traced to bridge plate. What would you do?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 03:43:15 am »
Thanks Greg. That metal plate seems like a great solution for protecting the wooden bridge plate.

Now if I bought this, the question then would be "Can I install it myself?" or would I have to send it to a repair guy? And would it be worth it  :-\

btw, here's a pic of the bridge plate - we stuck a handphone thru the soundhole & tried like a 100 times to get this shot

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 03:52:06 am »
It something you could do yourself. Take all the strings off (it won't hurt the guitar)
Clean off asmuch of the splinters off all the holes to get a nice flat surface to glue
the plate to the bridge plate. Stick two pins in the bridge to line the plate up.
Make sure you don't get glue on the bridge pins.

Offline GregB

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 07:28:59 am »
The plate I linked comes with its own adhesive backing, likely 3M or similar.
Fender CD60, Yamaha 112V, PRS Angelus SE A50E. Katana Air.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 10:18:01 am »
Here’s a video that was posted a while back on the forum. It talks about how to avoid or at least minimise bridgeplate damage when restringing. Perhaps too late for you MrSifter 😕 but others may benefit, although looking at the photo of your bridgeplate it appears to me that the damage was not done by restringing. The string hole has been drilled out too big and in the wrong place when the guitar was manufactured.

The metal plate that Greg posted about looks like a marvellous solution to your problem and as stitch says it would be very easy and cost effective to do yourself.

Depending on the value of your ‘beginner’ guitar it might not be cost effective to take it to a luthier.

Is your guitar still under warranty? The shop you bought it from may be able to help.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 10:44:33 am by sairfingers »
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 03:01:24 pm »

Is your guitar still under warranty? The shop you bought it from may be able to help.

Good call Gordon. That is definitely a manufacturing defect. The shop should replace
the guitar. Even entry level guitars have a warranty for defects.

Offline MrSifter

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 11:30:54 am »
Here’s a video that was posted a while back on the forum. It talks about how to avoid or at least minimise bridgeplate damage when restringing.

The metal plate that Greg posted about looks like a marvellous solution to your problem and as stitch says it would be very easy and cost effective to do yourself.

Depending on the value of your ‘beginner’ guitar it might not be cost effective to take it to a luthier.

Thank you for your reply Gordon. That was a superb tip to angle and align the ball end to catch the bridge plate! Will remember that!

The string hole has been drilled out too big and in the wrong place when the guitar was manufactured.
That is mind-blowing! How??? LOL In the pic, the wrongly drilled hole exposed the dark brown color of the bridge! The sound board is a light color! Does that mean they drilled the hole after gluing the bridgeplate to the soundboard? haha I can even see a glob of white glue at the top rim of the hole and a bit of wood a third color on the right - right through the sound board?  :o :o :o

Hard to believe! But frightening! How should the bridgeplate be drilled & assembled? The splinters are very telling!

Yup it is a beginner's guitar & that'd mean priced at the budget end. Definitely not a Martin or Taylor. But mind you, this brand makes guitars across the price spectrum and generally gets good reviews. In fact, I bought this guitar based on positive reviews and recommendations in guitar forums.  Yeah it's still under warranty

PS: What would happen if the ball-end is anchored against the soundboard or  ::) the bridge (as in this case) instead of the bridgeplate? When will it happen? How long will it hold out?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 02:01:52 pm by MrSifter »

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 627
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 11:43:14 am »
... In the pic, the wrongly drilled hole exposed the dark brown color of the bridge! The sound board is a light color! Does that mean they drilled the hole after gluing the bridgeplate to the soundboard? ...

Yeah it's still under warranty

PS: What would happen if the ball-end is anchored against the soundboard or  ::) the bridge...

It has been badly manufactured.
It is faulty in construction.
It is under warranty.
Do no work to it at all.
Return it as faulty.
Take no excuses.

The woods are different hardnesses. If left, the string tension would destroy the bridge / soundboard.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 01:12:49 pm »
Yeah it's still under warranty
There are no two ways about it. Take it back and demand a replacement or even a refund if this experience has put you off this brand of guitar!

If you go for a replacement, take a picture of the bridgeplate just to check this is not an inherent issue with that particular model.

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 11:34:22 am »
Hi there MrSifter. Any progress with the bridge issue?

Offline MrSifter

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 02:19:45 pm »
Hey thanks for following up!

I talked to the seller & he said the additional hole was some sort of center line reference/guide hole used by the factory for assembly / alignment purposes.

I don't really understand nor buy that explanation at the moment. I asked them to confirm with the manufacturers

As for replacement/refund, it's entirely my call  :)

I have read so many good reviews about their higher end models and would like to upgrade in the future. It's really a bummer to encounter this problem at the entry level.

PS: I just noticed that the top has a bit of a bulge just behind the bridge ie the section away from the neck.  I can't remember if it was there when I got the guitar 6months ago.

Might this be related to the bridgeplate issue? I read that the bridge plate also does the duty of strengthening the sound board to deal with the high tension of the steel strings

I had shown the photo to a friend who's familiar with woodworking. He said that the bridgeplate wood is not a hardwood, and that's one of the reasons there's splinter/blowout on the drill bit's exit. Does that make sense?

What material is your guitar's bridgeplate? hahaha it's never asked by buyers nor disclosed by manufacturers huh?

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 116
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 02:25:14 pm »
Honestly I’d just return it if you have the option. You’re never going to be 100% happy with it as it is I suspect and you really shouldn’t need to repair anything.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline MrSifter

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 03:02:24 pm »
Nope ... not going to dump any money down this hole.  It's been a great learning experience that'll make me wiser with the next purchase.

For now, it actually plays well & stays in tune. No hurry at the moment. IF I go for a refund, I'll have to go shopping again & possibly encounter another issue.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards asking them to replace with an acceptable unit... one where the additional hole is truly in the center (as the seller claimed) and does not interfere with the D & G holes. Come to think about it, the fact that the add'l hole encroached into the D hole tells us that the bridge is installed off-center!  And that's a manufacturing defect.

Who knows? They might get the factory to make a one-off for me LOL. I'll wait a bit  ;D

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 04:45:56 pm »
The hole is for lining up the bridge but as you suspected it does mean the bridge
was placed in the wrong spot. This will lead to other problems like intonation being off.

You should return it and either upgrade or get a replacement.
As for the bulge its normal. Acoustic guitar are designed with a sliht arch the them for
strength.

Offline MrSifter

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 05:02:59 pm »
The hole is for lining up the bridge but as you suspected it does mean the bridge
was placed in the wrong spot. This will lead to other problems like intonation being off.
hahaha I totally get what you're saying there stitch! Geometry is crucial!

I've spent time since my previous post looking at the total geometry & I have pretty much figured out what's wrong.

Thanks for the reminder about intonation. I'll check that tomorrow

Get The Forum As A Mobile App