Author Topic: Sebbe plays Road Case  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Sebbe plays

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
Sebbe plays Road Case
« on: November 29, 2020, 10:38:18 pm »
Hello again everyone,

I appearently deleted my first roadcase by accident but everyone makes mistakes I guess. Although it was quite a silly action to do so hopefully this one will stay a little more permanent...

I started around spring this year with my first moves into the guitar world after buying my acoustic guitar so I am one of the many pandemic guitar players. The fascination for the instrument however has been with me a long time so it was an easy choice to pick up the six string and start to learn some stuff.

Starting out with YouTube lessons worked fine for the first few basics and chord progressions but my learning process went all over the place. When I stumbled upon Justin his lessons I finally found a way to learn in a structured manner. It motivated my to buy an electric as well and to set a goal of practice at least 25 - 30 minutes every day.

Where do I stand at the moment after a little over half a year?

- working on my power chords in module 13 in the 2nd grade beginners course.
- minor pentatonic on a sturdy 120 bpm
- learning and memorizing the following songs:

* Song 2 - Blur
* A Forest - The Cure
* Ceremony - Joy Division

So far very happy with my progress!

And for those who are interested in my tools:

Fender 50s Vintera Telecaster and Epiphone DR100 acoustic:

And with the amp and proof that I am an actual bedroom player:

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
Re: Sebbe plays Road Case
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 12:22:36 am »
Hi Sebbe, good vibes on restaring your roadcase! Hope we get to see one day your performance in AVOYP :) you have some nice tools of trade there so keep it up and you will get some nice results I am sure!

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 03:54:38 am »
Warm welcome, Sebbe.

Good Vibes for the Road Case, progress, and pics.

Look forward to following your progress here and in AVOYP when you are ready...and you are ready now you know ;)

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 183
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 08:52:19 am »
Welcome (again) Sebbe!

Love your 2 workhorses, they cover a lot of ground.
Delighted to read about your steady progress in these strange times.

Keep sharing your progress, acquisitions and triumphs! :D
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 04:56:10 am »
Hi Sebbe, let's hope you don't delete this one!  You look well set up for a wide range of genres and a whole heap of fun and learning.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Sebbe plays

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 11:22:52 pm »
A new year, a new update of my guitar 'journey'

In 2020 I had no particular goal in mind, I just followed the structured path of Justins beginners course up to Grade 2 lesson 13 (beginner blues).
Still in the blues course working on the following;

- 7th chords; mostly fast changes especially G to C
- 12 bar Blues in G (slow change); still struggling with changes from G to C time to time
- 12 bar blues in E (fast change); pretty smoothly to my surprise
- Beginner Blues solo; getting more sturdy from memorization (even with my eyes closed!)
- Blues improvisation in A; first time that I had fun improvising on guitar, in the beginning improvisation felt like a burden to me
- 12 bar shuffle riff
- Practicing Blues songs;
* The Thrill Is Gone (BB King rhythm version)
* Crossroads (Eric Clapton)

The coming few weeks I want to focus more on both songs since I'm happy with my progress on the regular practice items.
Although I might still put more time into blues improvisation since it really starts to grow on me.

- also still learning and memorizing the following (some new) songs;
* House Of The Rising Sun (Animals); both strum and fingerstyle version
* Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd acoustic)
* Song 2 (Blur)
* A Forest (The Cure)
* Ceremony (Joy Division)
* Brass In Pocket (Pretenders)

For the last three songs I use the youtube channel of anyonecanplayguitar.co.uk

Hopefully on the beginning of next month I can start with lesson 14 and maybe even welcome a new guitar!

S

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 05:01:36 am »
Thanks for the update, Sebbe. Sounds like you are making good progress and have a solid plan for 2021. So wish you well in 2021 and look forward to hearing you play over in AVOYP.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 629
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 08:42:28 am »
Good focus on your learning path Sebbe.
Adrian (anyonecanplayguitar) is a good source for indie / alternative songs and does great work in that niche.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 197
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 10:08:59 am »
You’ve got some nice gear and the right attitude, good luck with your learning path!
I think that your song list is pretty good, some great songs on it! Brass in pocket should be interesting, there some great guitar parts on it!

Offline Sebbe plays

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 04:11:28 pm »
Thanks for the update, Sebbe. Sounds like you are making good progress and have a solid plan for 2021. So wish you well in 2021 and look forward to hearing you play over in AVOYP.

Thanks for your motivational words David! One of my goals is eventually upload some of my guitar playing but the recording quality from my phone sounds rubbish so far. Might have to look for an alternative way of recording.

Good focus on your learning path Sebbe.
Adrian (anyonecanplayguitar) is a good source for indie / alternative songs and does great work in that niche.

Thanks close2u!
Adrian has indeed a lot of interesting song picks and he explains them very well. I find his lessons very complimentary to Justin's courses. If they could collaborate sometime...

You’ve got some nice gear and the right attitude, good luck with your learning path!
I think that your song list is pretty good, some great songs on it! Brass in pocket should be interesting, there some great guitar parts on it!

Thanks Darrell! My song picks are pretty alternative for a beginner I guess but they are sure fun to play. I find Brass In Pocket actually one of the harder ones to pick up but it has indeed very interesting guitar parts written by James Honeyman-Scott.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 07:53:14 am »
Thanks for your motivational words David! One of my goals is eventually upload some of my guitar playing but the recording quality from my phone sounds rubbish so far. Might have to look for an alternative way of recording.

Sebbe,

I don't know what phone you have. I have noticed on mine that the audio-recording apps never seem to make a recording that sounds as good as when recording a video.  I know one might not want to record video and prefer an audio-only, and as I say you are not explicit as to what you are doing.

That said, I would encourage you to share even if the recording quality is not hi-fi. From past experience, it is seldom experienced by us listeners as badly as you are hearing it. And the point is not to produce studio quality recordings ... at least not initially ... rather make the recording for the sake of your learning, to share and receive feedback, which may be some tips and will certainly be encouragement.

Offline Sebbe plays

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 07:34:20 pm »
Sebbe,

I don't know what phone you have. I have noticed on mine that the audio-recording apps never seem to make a recording that sounds as good as when recording a video.  I know one might not want to record video and prefer an audio-only, and as I say you are not explicit as to what you are doing.

That said, I would encourage you to share even if the recording quality is not hi-fi. From past experience, it is seldom experienced by us listeners as badly as you are hearing it. And the point is not to produce studio quality recordings ... at least not initially ... rather make the recording for the sake of your learning, to share and receive feedback, which may be some tips and will certainly be encouragement.

Samsung Galaxy A50, with actually decent recording. I think I did something wrong when I only wanted to record the sound. Just for fun I decided to play Street Spirit and record myself on video to see what comes out. It's a little stiff and it lacks some passion to my liking but at least I had fun doing it. It's the first time that I played this song since October so I'm quite satisfied with this result.

So here you go:

Happy listening (or not)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:34:15 pm by Sebbe plays »

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 95
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 09:00:00 pm »
Hi Sebbe  That was good steady strumming and your chords in the main were clean. You’re right, it seemed to lack a bit of passion and you need to let yourself go a bit and feel the vibe. Easier said than done I know.

Why are you posting this on your road case? Post in AVoYP and you’ll get loads more views and advice.
Well done though and have some vibes from me.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline adi_mrok

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 09:14:33 pm »
I think you did very well and considering you didn't practice for a while this particular song that's even better :) a bit more dynamics and you are good as gold as they say, not much more I can say since it was overall a good performance :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 01:16:52 am »
Great to see you posting Sebbe. As Gordon says, you'll get more views and responses from the forum if you post in AVOYP.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 08:07:56 am »
Sebbe,

That was great. You can keep making your recordings using this approach, it sounded good and we could see you playing.  So all boxes ticked.

And a couple of folk said, that place to post such recordings is here as a new topic.

My 2cs on "stiff" and "lacks some passion". I'm not sure as I write this how long you have been playing, your learning history, which will be a factor in playing with feel and expressing emotion.

I think initially it is about laying a good foundation ... steady, consistent, and rhythmic strumming, clean chords, smooth changes keeping to tempo and the beat. To achieve that is something to be proud of, to celebrate, and based on the video you are doing well.

Justin talks a lot about making it feel good. I think some of this comes through dynamics, being able to vary the weight of the strumming to create accents. It involves targeting strings, being able to mix up when you are strumming the thicker strings vs thinner strings vs all the strings. More advanced righthand techniques like lightly muting thick strings to change the tone, the percussive hit.

I think with these additions one can be more expressive. And I think then it goes even further in that while one is strumming in time, there's a way of making it sound natural, fluent vs having a more mechanical feel. And I don't know if that is something one can be specific about or if as you play more you just become more relaxed, more into just playing vs concentrating on technically playing without losing beat, fluffing chords.

Those are my musings, from a player who is still a relative beginner and very much exploring this topic myself.

But as I said, looks and sounds like you are doing well, just keep on keeping on, enjoy it and you will continue to improve.

Offline Sebbe plays

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 04:13:13 pm »
Thanks for the comments everyone! I know it actually belongs in the Audio or Video playing section but this was more like some of a test how the video works out and it appearently does well so yeay for that. So expect more videos of me playing stuff.

As for future goals, there is of course my song list that will expand over time but on a longer term (1 or 2 years) I like to have achieved the following;

- Songs I really want to play:
  * Coffee & TV (Blur)
  * Grace ( Jeff Buckley)
  * Marquee Moon (Television)
  * Happenings Ten Years Time Ago (Yardbirds)

- Jam on a few occasions with an old buddy of mine who plays guitar way before since I've known him (after this Covid thing has calmed down.)

I think these goals should be quite achievable.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:43:12 pm by Sebbe plays »

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 365
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 06:00:38 am »
Well done on setting some goals, Sebbe, which do seem realistic.

Look forward to more videos from you soon.

Offline Sebbe plays

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 10:42:30 am »
Looking at some of my song choices I guess that I'm quite a fan of playing New Wave music. Funny since I never listened to New Wave bands that much before I started playing guitar. Any recommendations in the genre? I have heard of Siouxsie and The Banshees and Cocteau Twins but other than that I'm not quite familiar.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 11:13:10 am by Sebbe plays »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App