Author Topic: New PLAP Remix competition  (Read 254 times)

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
New PLAP Remix competition
« on: November 20, 2020, 07:13:10 pm »
Hi folks

Some of you may recall the ProduceLikeAPro mixing / remixing competition that some of us had a crack at last year. Well they have just announced a new comp.

If you entered last year like me you most likely will have had a mail about it already but for anyone new here or those that felt it was beyond their reach last time, here's the link and info

Not sure if I'll participate as a few irons in the fire at the moment.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: New PLAP Remix competition
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 07:26:38 am »
Yeah, I spotted it Toby, and watched through the video to market it.  Debated whether or not to share it, and didn't.

I don't think I am going to take this one on. Lots of other things to do, and I kind of got put off by all Warren's hyperbolic superlatives in describing the tune, and the excessive syrupy, gushy vibe of the artist ... maybe I am becoming a still-not-actually-old-(by Toby's age cut-off) fuddy-duddy.

But I did like the drums, bass, and guitar solo'ed. No not going to remix a stripped down version that is just the musical bits I like plus the vocals.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 10:10:07 am »
Ha you got further than I did !! I think I lasted 30 seconds of his OTT big up intro. Like you too busy with other things and projects at the moment. And I'd rather be mixing my own stuff than someone else's. Been there done that last time, enjoyed the experience, job done move on.

Anyone else reading this, don't be put off by two grumpy old men having a gripe  :( If you want to learn about mixing a huge multi track project, this is a really good opportunity. You get all the stems/tracks you need to create/produce your own mix of the song (which I've not listened to) and if you want to or can play, add your own audio tracks.

As I say a good experience, just ignore the hype.

Cheers

Toby
 8) 
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Online glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 11:58:16 am »
Ha! I thught of posting this here as well!

Downloding right now to see what's going on in the tune. I do have to say I am on the other side though. While I would not really listen this kind of music for enjoyment, looking from production perspective and current pop trends, she is great.

She can actually sing (based on the isolated vocals in the original video Toby shared above) and has a better voice then current top 10/20 billboard (I know that is not a credible source to judge the quality). + the instruments are actually played in real life which is also a nice treat. Yes, it is formulaic but above average. I understand the hype from Warren, it's great to work with musicians who are really good even if you're not a fan of the style.

Back to the topic:
I am thinking of a basic big band arrangement, or stripped down jazz trio (vocal/bass/piano) based on a few listenings of the song. But have to wait that the tracks are downloaded so I can actually see what they gave us this time.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 01:44:16 pm »
Good luck with it, glp, if I recall correctly you planned to produce a mix last time round and life didn't allow you. If you produce a remix I hope you'll share.

Online glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 01:55:05 pm »
Thank you! Yes this time I have all the life commitments done (or at least have free afternoons). Downloads finally finished (internet crashed 5 times) so just started working on it. Quite excited.

I always find it funny how much joy I get from working on pop tunes where production is great, while I NEVER listen to pop music for the actual musical enjoyment.

EDIT:
If anyone is going to enter. Just to let you know, the song is a little bit sharp (very little). Not much but it might annoy you just a bit on some parts.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 06:59:45 pm by glpguitar »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App