Author Topic: Heaven or Hell - An original song by LBro  (Read 1241 times)

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
  • Well I am working on it.
    • YouTube offerings
Re: Heaven or Hell - An original song by LBro
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 01:24:06 pm »
But if you don't mind, maybe you could break that overall guitar sound down and share what the different parts were.  Give folk here, including myself, more insight into that layering and ideas to perhaps try out ourselves, if so inclined.

So if you feel inclined to share a bit more I'd appreciate it, sure others would to, but no pressure as I know it takes some time to lay it all out.
Hi David / Other "Guitar Tone Junkies",
I will try and add some of what made up the guitars/tones in this song per below. I will copy in what I started with and try to supplement that with more info.

The guitar "layering" was very simple. Double tracked Rhythm Guitars L/R 90% into a parent folder in the DAW, set 8% left. The bass is 8% right! The lead guitar snips and main solo all use the same settings, save for the pups, panned dead center. Rhythm guitars used the Bridge/Middle pup. Lead solo snips or short fills used the bridge pup. Long solo was set to same as the Rhythm guitars. Tone guitar pots were set by ear to be bright but short of fuzziness. Volume levels were fairly low. All other guitar settings were identical for both Rhythm and Lead guitars.

The signal chain started with the Music Man Reflex guitar with Pearly Gates pickups. The guitar has some trick settings to get series or parallel pups and more. I am not sure what is what anymore on those settings and I just go by ear. The chart for them is out of reach at this time.

The guitar was fed into a ReVV 40 wt amp head My recollection of this was it was a clean tone like on a Fender amp, say a Blues Jr. 3 type of deal. However, as I started to detail this "tone" I found the amp was indeed set to the clean channel, but I was driving it hard to a pretty good crunch type breakup, on "edge". A lot of the tone attitude here was this amp. That surprised me as I thought most of the tone came from GTR.

The output of the amp went into a Suhr load box and that was DI into the AI. I needed some pedals so I put that into Reaper and ran the GTR3 amp sim, stomps, along with cabs. Normally you would not want to run the amp sim section as I had a real amp here. But I think I toned down GTR amp and pedal settings so as not to double up on what attitude came from the amp itself. I think as the end of the day GTR3's part was to add some polish to the tones!

GTR3 - Used different presets as follows for the guitars:
Rhythm: "GoSco" preset.
Lead: "Snorting Whisky" preset. - And no, I would not recommend snorting whisky! Ouch!

One can re-amp with GTR3, but I try not to do that as I want the tone of the guitar to hit my headphones and inspire my play. So I try to set up my tones and not re-amp them.

GTR3 Note: If you play Electric Guitar and to some extent Acoustic guitar. You should look into this amp sim if on a budget and have no amp or pedals. For $30 USD it cannot be beat!
https://www.waves.com/bundles/gtr3?gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXr1cMyEG3SlMqJs-2FjloSlRafaoCLilBgKE8Dqm2QsssXeUgVMBjhoC4qwQAvD_BwE

Darn, Waves raised the price to $40 USD... no matter, as it is CHEAP for what it does. You can try prior to buying as there is a free demo. I have lots of gear to use and go back to GTR3 a lot, even though I have other amp sims costing 5-10 times as much. It is that good.

I will likely make of a wordpad doc of the GTR 3 pedal settings and amp settings. PM me if you want that. I will reference it to reconstruct these tones in the future.

Rockin tones for life!
LB

You can rock a bit here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNOrtongjfX4RI33JWKwn7Q/featured

"I just experiment in guitar and music, at times something good comes of it..."
LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2020, 01:31:06 pm »
Hi LBro, the original song is great and yes it is real rock, guitars and vocals sound great! True,
I was constantly very worried about the lamb, but I hope everything is fine with him :)

Mike
Hi Mike!
Thanks so much Mike for stopping in and checking this out. In addition I thank you for the kind words on all the elements of the production.

I am happy to report that "lamb" was just glad to get out of there, as you might have seen. Not a scratch on it and it bounded off out to the pasture, being happy as a clam! Of course, come winter, it might want that warm wool coat again!. I am not sure but maybe they sheer the sheep at a time of the year so they have some hair back by fall?

Rock on dude!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2020, 01:42:08 pm »
Thanks for all the details, LBro.

I am now feeling inspired to take down my LP and get into some harder rocking play again.  Last couple of originals have been pretty much acoustic deals.

Once again, good job on your guitar play there, both lead and rhythm sounded great.

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 02:09:57 pm »
I couldn't help but think of beware of false prophets which come to you in sheep's clothing. Was that what you were thinking with the video, or maybe Jesus is the lamb of God? Or is the sheep being shorn not significant to the lyrics? Does the guitar represent heaven or hell, or is it just a rock song that happens to be religious? These are some of the questions I have after listening. They may be rhetorical. But any piece of art that makes you think, and question, has done a good job.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Hi Red,
I can see right away this one definitely provoked some thoughts for you. I will try and answer your questions as best I can below. Thanks so much for stopping in, along with the questions and comments!

Red - I couldn't help but think of beware of false prophets which come to you in sheep's clothing.
Ha, I can see where you would think that with the video and such. Though I know of no such implication. Now your making me think about this deeper! :)

Red - Was that what you were thinking with the video, or maybe Jesus is the lamb of God?
Nope, the thought was simple. I needed some video to fill up 3 minutes of audio and this video had been waiting for such a song. However, as I played the song for my wife (after posting), the thought you had did come to light and in my mind. Morse so that Jesus was laid bare, before the world so all could see he died for our sins. I would have to drag out the good Book, but the verbiage is in it more or less. I know Isa 53 sheds light in this direction.

Red - Or is the sheep being shorn not significant to the lyrics?
I wrote the song first and then selected the video. So no, there was not significance to the lyrics in the video. I simply felt led to write something for the Lord based upon what we are seeing today as possible end time fulfillment to The Word's prophecies. I have a concern in all this for others...

Red - Does the guitar represent heaven or hell, or is it just a rock song that happens to be religious?
Since I am a guitar tone junkie, I think it safe to say they represent neither Heaven or hell. I really like the guitar tones I was able to put into this song. I think you could say it was a song on my heart, I was fortunate to find some nice guitar tones and this is what came of it.

Glad you were made to think! Calling the song art? Hum... that is a nice compliment Red! I think you meant it that way and certainly sounds like it on your statement; "has done a good job". I am thrilled this moved you a bit and maybe I can do so in a future song. I am thinking possibly a bit more mainstream next round, but don't have anything specific in mind yet.

All my best and try some more rock songs - you are good at them!  :D
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 04:51:46 pm »
Hey LBro,

Two spirituals in a row- Kudos to you  :)

Music is most important when it deals with the big issues of our lives, so I'm glad you're finding expression of your beliefs here.
But for me this works on the rock level, esp. guitar-wise. I love the sound you're getting and it fits so well with your traditional signature... Rock on!  8)

I'm glad the video is not intended as a spiritual message, as it reminded me of a comic book I bought in Oz (and I don't really want to hasten my descent to the hot place  ;))
https://pictures.abebooks.com/isbn/9780949266132-us.jpg

Offline crocodile1

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 30
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2020, 07:43:29 pm »
Hi LB,
Great to find new original song from you!
It really rocks.
Good guitar tone and playing.
And I'm glad no sheep were injured  :D
Keep on rocking,
Leo

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 02:30:36 am »
That was a stunt sheep I think.  8)
Nice one LB, cool guitar work and interesting video!
Hey 6s!
Great to see you! Glad this one tickled your fancy and you liked the guitar work... !

The sheep? It was shameless, a "stunt sheep" just as you said. But the real news is that it had a NO CUT contract! Hair or no hair, it intends to be on the roster at the sheep farm!

Keep up the good work on your end and rock out!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2020, 11:00:39 am »
This sheep doesn't look as comfortable as me listening to this song, well done LBro! I think most have been said and there is not much I can add except the praise :) vibes!

Sent from my SM-G973F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
Hi Mrok!
Great you stopped by and took this in. Glad you are doing better than the poor sheep and that you like this production!

Rock on and may the vibes be with you!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline RC23

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 22
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2020, 11:33:15 am »
Just found this, can’t add much as everyone else seems to have covered it.

Really enjoyed the whole song, video, sound and production.

And compared to my memories of being in shearing sheds in my youth, that sheep had it pretty easy.

Beginner Course (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Standard Strat, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE
Amps: Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, Joyo JTA-05

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 12:11:26 am »
Hi Lbro,

Rocks - tick
High production values - tick
Sheep - tick

Reminded me of when I had my long hair cut off after I graduated and finally had to become a member of the workforce. It's never grown back. So depressing.   :)

Digger
Hi Digger,
Glad this one rocks for you and you found the production to your liking!

On hair you did better than mine as I did not lose mine to a barber. I became like the sheep as my hair and I parted ways long ago... In other words, it just fell out.

I hope all is good on your end and keep up the rockin vibe!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2020, 12:15:42 am »
Guitar tone = rock song and you made it work out great. Kudos for running with your inspirational moment based on a sound LB. :)
Hi Close,
Really great you stopped in on this one. Indeed I did run. What little hair I got left was not to be taken by the guy with the shears!

More than just a "sound" I got off on the "tone" of the guitar I was fortunate to dial in that tone. I really liked it and that got my playing motor running!

All the best to you and be well!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2020, 12:59:35 am »
I enjoyed everything on here. The music, the video (that was unexpected - listened to it first before reading the description), the ending credits. Well done!

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 10:16:10 pm »
Thanks for all the details, LBro.

I am now feeling inspired to take down my LP and get into some harder rocking play again.  Last couple of originals have been pretty much acoustic deals.

Once again, good job on your guitar play there, both lead and rhythm sounded great.
Go for it! I took down my LP and it needs some tweaking. Seasonal change probably means the truss rod needs a twist. Thanks again on the kudos for the tone/sound!
Rock on and tone out!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2020, 11:17:40 am »
Hey LBro,

Two spirituals in a row- Kudos to you  :)

Music is most important when it deals with the big issues of our lives, so I'm glad you're finding expression of your beliefs here.
But for me this works on the rock level, esp. guitar-wise. I love the sound you're getting and it fits so well with your traditional signature... Rock on!  8)

I'm glad the video is not intended as a spiritual message, as it reminded me of a comic book I bought in Oz (and I don't really want to hasten my descent to the hot place  ;))
https://pictures.abebooks.com/isbn/9780949266132-us.jpg
Ah Brian,
Very toasty reply I might say! ;)  But I know you will keep out of the toaster!

Indeed, above all this one has tone, attitude and some big guitar tones in it. I am working on another that might feature the same venture in guitar tones. I will have to see how that turns out.

Yes, the video was one I liked, found interesting and wanted to share at some point. Wish I had more of these unique types of videos, but now I think my cupboard is bare in this department.

All the best mate and keep rocking!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2020, 11:20:15 am »
Hi LB,
Great to find new original song from you!
It really rocks.
Good guitar tone and playing.
And I'm glad no sheep were injured  :D
Keep on rocking,
Leo
Hi Leo,
Glad you stopped by to take in the poor little sheep. At least now it is going into summer down that way! Thanks on the tones and play! I tried pretty hard there and I guess it turned out fairly good for most folks!
Keep on a rockin as you do!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2020, 11:22:47 am »
Just found this, can’t add much as everyone else seems to have covered it.

Really enjoyed the whole song, video, sound and production.

And compared to my memories of being in shearing sheds in my youth, that sheep had it pretty easy.
Hi RC,
Glad you made it to the show... Thanks for the listen and kind comments too!

Wow, you were on a farm it sounds like. I think you are the first to share a story like that! Very cool...

Keep rockin along and posting!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 91
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2020, 01:03:01 pm »
Yes, I meant that as a compliment. My thought is that you could take it to another level by thinking about whether the guitar represents heaven, or hell, or even both. Not criticizing what you've done. Your guitar tone is cool. Just thinking about how the guitar can reflect the lyrics. It doesn't need to, but what would it sound like if it did?

Anyway, glad to see you writing more songs!

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2020, 09:05:22 pm »
I enjoyed everything on here. The music, the video (that was unexpected - listened to it first before reading the description), the ending credits. Well done!
Hi GLP!
Glad you could rock a bit to this one! I think you liked the video and well, why not... They salvaged the little innocent one. :)

Keep rockin with your posts and happy holidays to you too!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline LBro

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
    • YouTube offerings
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2020, 09:11:25 pm »
Yes, I meant that as a compliment. My thought is that you could take it to another level by thinking about whether the guitar represents heaven, or hell, or even both. Not criticizing what you've done. Your guitar tone is cool. Just thinking about how the guitar can reflect the lyrics. It doesn't need to, but what would it sound like if it did?

Anyway, glad to see you writing more songs!

Hi Red,
Thanks for coming back to give more input as I really appreciate it! I get what your saying. I guess the little guitar riffs could have a pitch upturn on "Heaven" riffs and maybe a downturn on the "Hell" runs? I will keep this in mind for down the road.

I have to write more songs as the darn "strumming patterns" still have me stymied! I have to keep working on that guitar playing aspect. I think once I crack that nut, covers and guitar play will open up to me.

You take good care and happy holidays! Keep rockin too!
LB
You can rock a bit here:

LB

Offline marcusmarkmus

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
  • \,,/ SandmarX \,,/
    • my guitar playing videos! =) check them out!
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2020, 06:41:26 pm »
haha what am I watching...

The guitars scream rock n roll, both tone and playing, loved it  8)
My band on Facebook: Sandmarx
on youtube: SandmarxTube

Get The Forum As A Mobile App