Author Topic: 5 Reasons to Watch Nitsuj as a Beginner (Even if you're Right Handed)  (Read 580 times)

Offline ions

• Good Vibes 4
I posted this on Reddit and it seemed to help a few folks so I thought it may help some here.

Nitsuj is Justin Sandercoe of Justin Guitar relearning how to play by playing lefthanded. Maybe it was shortsighted of me, but I didn't bother watching because... I'm not left-handed so why would that apply to me? Sigh. ::) Anyway. In the spirit of being a beginner I am going to be kind to myself and move on. I started watching and it made these five things obvious to me and helped me be less frustrated as a novice.

1. Learn What a Beginner Sounds Like
His strings buzz and he mutes strings here and there as he learns. We see how much his fingers hurt. As beginners we have heard what the pros sound like so many times but no other beginners except ourselves. Sure, it's unreasonable to expect to sound like a pro at the start, but if you've never been a beginner musician or seen another beginner try guitar it's pretty easy to think "This is harder than I thought! Holy crap I have no talent and I'm never gonna get this" when you hear how inexperienced (not bad!) a beginner sounds.

2. Be Patient and Kind with Yourself
Now that we know what a beginner is going to sound like we know that it's normal and there's no need to speak negatively to ourselves about how our progress is moving. Watching Nitsuj be patient with himself was a valuable lesson for me. Here's a guy that knows how to do this stuff extremely well and now he's physically reset as a beginner. Imagine the frustration of being an expert unable to do the thing you have expertise in well? That's what he's doing and he's doing it patiently.

3. How to Teach Yourself
Your teacher is virtual and can not see you and you don't know the nuances to self correct - yet. As novices we fumble until we can make our hands do what we see in the video. Watching an expert assess where his hands are and correct himself made me feel better about trying to do so myself.

4. Follow the Program and Spend Time on the Lessons
Look how long Nitsuj takes to do stuff while remembering this is a professional musician. No matter if you are using his program or not it dawned on me the importance of spending time with each thing to not just "know" it. Early on I memorized the chords of the first two grades in JG. Because I had them memorized I didn't sit with them and practice them, let my fingers learn them too. The fingers are slower than the brain and need to spend the time.

5. Set Reasonable Expectations and Goals
We know what a beginner sounds like, we know now to be patient, we are learning how to correct ourselves and spend the time to make the small steps of progress with whatever program we're using. Where should we be and how long will it take? You are wherever you are and it will take how long it will take I guess and that's ok. I am going to just focus on my progress, not where I think I should be based on others. We've all seen the videos of someone who has "been practicing six months, here's my Little Wing" they kill it and all you can think of is xxxx off! We don't have the whole story when we watch these progress videos - maybe all they practiced was that one thing while here I am sinking an hour a day into the Justin Guitar program with all sorts of stuff to learn (that will hopefully pay off in the long run). The second thing sometimes you see in the comments, "yeah, this was only after six months but I played for 8 years when I was a kid, just picking it up again". Relearning is different than learning something the first time.

I hope this helps other beginners along the way.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Re: 5 Reasons to Watch Nitsuj as a Beginner (Even if you're Right Handed)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 03:42:35 pm »
Ions

Good vibes to you for this post. I hope ever newbie reads it and hey, some of us more experienced peeps as well. The 5 points you raise can equally be applied at any point in your learning journey, not just starting out from scratch. Be it Blues licks or blues and Hendrix chord fingering, its all the same principle.

Great observations, well expressed and great value to all. IMHO.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 159
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 03:53:09 pm »
Hey Ions, good vibes from me too!  You’ve made very valid comments and I’m sure you’re bang on with what you have said, this should be made a ‘sticky’ it’s definitely worth the new beginners reading!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 163
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 03:58:46 pm »
Hey Ions, good vibes from me too!  You’ve made very valid comments and I’m sure you’re bang on with what you have said, this should be made a ‘sticky’ it’s definitely worth the new beginners reading!

Seconded Darrell, good vibes for that comment too.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline rwoodlin

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
  • Hands of brick
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 04:37:55 pm »
Good an ya, ions!
Being one of those 'beginners' who 'played' many decades ago I can relate to the frustration of watching much more talented beginners knock it out of the park while I am still whiffing or hitting foul balls.
Nitsuj is a great reality check.  Sometimes unlearning is harder than learning.
Regards,
Robert

Offline ions

• Good Vibes 4
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 10:01:36 pm »
Good! I am glad to see others find this helpful to think about as well! Thank you for the vibes! :)

Online Iman_Oldie

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 03:19:52 pm »
Good! I am glad to see others find this helpful to think about as well! Thank you for the vibes! :)

I certainly am. I've just started playing myself and when Justin (Nitsuj) mentioned his second finger nail while playing the D chord I laughed because I'm having the same problem :-)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App