Author Topic: Nige's random 3D arty stuff  (Read 475 times)

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Nige's random 3D arty stuff
« on: November 16, 2020, 07:44:12 pm »
over the years I've taught myself to make 3D models, I used to enter monthly contests and gradually got better. I just do it for fun, I'm not disciplined enough to do it as a career, I do beta testing for rendering software that only requires me to break stuff  ;D

A few years ago I bought a bass kit, I was very disappointed with the quality of the body, the bridge pickup hole is a mile out and it needs about 10cm removed from the bottom edge as there's a flat spot, so I turned to Sketchup to design something

the idea was to use a router and use rust paint for the outer metal work, a friend of mine did the plastic on a Suzuki Hayabusa and it worked really well
As yet its never happened, so its just the 3D picture for now, its Fender Jazz clone that I have

This is the inside of a violin, I'd seen a photo of inside a guitar with the sun rays coming through, so I found a 3D CNC plan for a violin and this was the result

Both are modelled in Trimble Sketchup 2017, they are rendered in Thea Render

I hope its ok to post these,  I thought about posting in  redrhodie's thread but other people stopped sharing early on
I'm a lot more comfortable sharing my art stuff than mooosic :-[ ;)

Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 346
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Nige's random 3D arty stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 06:08:03 am »
Both look great, Nige, thanks for sharing. Quite amazing what one can produce with technology these days.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 604
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 07:53:23 am »
Hey Nige, starting your own art thread is 100% good.
Those two models look amazing. Forgive an old fella ... are these purely graphic 3d on screen creations or real-life tangible items?

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 10:14:57 am »
its computer generated, the computer I used wasn't anything fancy, it was a 8 year old Intel i7 that  could barely run Rocksmith

The bass body started off as a pdf from the internet
http://www.pastranaguitars.com/sites/default/files/planos/Fender%20Jazz%20Bass.pdf

you can convert the pdf to a CAD friendly format but I just made a flat 2d version and just stretched it upwards

With Sketchup you literally just draw a bunch of shapes with 3 or more edges then extrude it, in a simple form its something like this cigar box guitar

then you'd go online and find a seamless image of the wood and paint it on the model face

the rendering software adds the material details, the environment, camera and lighting

Sketchup is good for general 3D models, architecture, it relies on plugins to do the more detailed work, and doesn't have proper animation or physics,  I use the last free version, there is programs like Blender which is free and is as good as any professional software but a massive learning curve

thanks for the comments, the next is a funky design for a uke, I plan to get a 26inch kit over winter and design the art work for the body on the pc

there is a picture of a Strat bodied guitar with lasers for strings like the laser harp,  no idea were the picture is now though
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 01:15:31 pm »
Hi Nige, interesting to me - I used to drive a SolidWorks workstation for design of Fires and Fireplaces for the Leisure home industry. I used to do renders in the software itself rather than using something like Studio max so nothing marvellous 😂. I’m now in the process of learning FreeCad, which fortunately isn’t too unlike SolidWorks, no rendering though my laptop (a Core i5 quad core 3.7 GHz 64Gb ram 256Gb SSD) it’s a decent spec but no dedicated graphics.
This was the last of my designs for a traditional lodge style holiday home
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1otTTXPyAamkv8iEIbkLRjDkYa8h8meWe/view?usp=drivesdk
I’ve got the original prototype on long term test 😂
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 172
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 03:57:23 pm »
Nige

These are really cool. Wish I did not have so many irons in the fire and have a bit of spare time to meddle with that software. Would loved to have seen the finished 'Busa as well - btw there's a few bike nuts loitering in these "pages".  ;)

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 05:18:37 pm »
I currently don't have a bike, my wife has a GPZ500s which she's had for 15 years, its getting an overhaul at the moment for next year.. I had a bit of a thing for FZR's, I had the 400 (which is as mad as a box of frogs) ,600 and a 1990 EXUP 1000, but I'm getting a bit old for sports bikes, so we're just going to run the GPZ, I like the 70's and 80's bikes but the prices are just crazy.
the Busa, not the best picture of it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uzKoz4WIuHYoAmpqw-YmE7S-Ghc5yAG1/view?usp=sharing

The 3D is time consuming, but there's loads of resources and tutorials to make life easier
back to bikes, this was an entry in a 3D contest in 2009 I think, with a "turning point in history" theme its 2 weeks work, to render the image it was taking 24 hours on a really old office PC and I fried the CPU :-[

on a modern PC 1/2 an hour rendering feels like its taking to long lol

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 172
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 06:51:34 pm »
Nige

That old boneshaker is fantastic. As to the GPZ500 had the S version back in 89 from new, probably my 7th bike since 73. Great little moto, nibble and agile. Traded it for a Bandit 12s in 97 which covered evrything from "mad mental rule ok" to back street bimble. When I left the UK for France late 2011, sold the Bandit and VN1500 Meanstreak (that I used to ride like the Bandit ooeer missus and a few scrapes) TS250ES Suzi trailee and my old man's 77 Honda CB125s. Storage, insurance and nightmare stories about registering over here led to that but jumped back on in 2012 with an new FZ8 because of the 100 bhp restrictions. Due to age but mostly carnal desire got myself a 2017 Dyna Low Rider last October and the world turn to rats wottsits. We had 3 months of French Monsoon, covid started coming out the wood work, then wife had MI in Jan, followed by lockdown 1, 2nd MI in June and the rest is history. Keep calling the last 12 months the curse of the Harley. But as they say "something" happens.

Thanks for sharing not only your visions but also you artistry, Very nice indeed.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 09:43:26 pm »
yeah the bike is a 1885 Daimler, its claimed to be the first internal combustion bike but a guy called Roper made a steam bike in 1867 (Roper steam velocipede)

I had bikes from 78 till 1987 then the kids came along lol, I always had something in the shed in various states of disrepair but I didn't get back on the road properly until 2003, I bought a CB750FA which was the same make/model as the last bike in 1987, the idea behind the madness was those old Honda's demanded respect, so I just did it up, rode it awhile and traded it for something better.
yeah I started with health issues and the bike wasn't getting used, the last bike was a GPX600RR about 4 years ago, well I had a 600 Fazer but i never rode it

this year has been insane, we ended up moving in with the mother in law as her health is failing, its been 4 months and we haven't fallen out yet, but packing 35 years of our stuff into her house for 60 years is proving a challenge!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App