Author Topic: The Four Hour Guitarist - Applying 'Meta-learning' to the Guitar  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Aidan32

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
The Four Hour Guitarist - Applying 'Meta-learning' to the Guitar
« on: November 10, 2020, 04:16:11 pm »
Hi everyone,

My name is Aidan and I am a beginner guitarist. I have been following Justin’s fantastic course since Lockdown (on and off). Like many I’ve tried in the past but quickly gave up in frustration but thankfully I found his course and I have just begun Grade 2.

I am currently trying to teach myself several skills including maths and Modern Monetary Theory. It has become apparent to me that a very important skill is ‘learning how to learn’ – and this has led me to Tim Ferriss’ meta-learning technique based on his book ‘The Four Hour Chef’.

Out of curiosity, I would like to know people’s views on how they would apply this particular framework to learning the guitar. This technique DiSSS is outlined below;

(Di) Deconstruct – Break down the skill into a sub-set of skills. What are the fundamental components of playing the guitar (acoustic)?

(S) Select – Highest frequency, highest return, least effort (Pareto principle). Identify the 20% available sub-skills that can be used to produce 80% of the desired results (the sub-skills I’ll use most frequently). In other words, If I only had 20% of the time to learn, what sub-skills should I focus on? Also, what do most novices waste their time on?

(S) Sequence – High margin of error, quick competency, early win. Learn and practice the 20% high frequency sub-skills in a sequence that allows you to quickly experience a feeling of competency. In other words, in what order?

(S) Stakes – Deadlines and social incentives. ‘A goal without consequences is wishful thinking’ – set financial penalties or tell a friend you’re going to learn x by date y.

My beginner’s guess at for example Deconstruct would look like;

Chords
Strumming
Songs
Rhythm/Timing/Groove
Finger Picking
Melody/Harmonics
Music Theory

I’m too much of a novice to attempt any further than that! I hope people find that interesting and have a go at it!

I have never actually read the book yet, has anyone applied this technique to anything and what are your thoughts on it?

Many thanks
Aidan

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
Re: The Four Hour Guitarist - Applying 'Meta-learning' to the Guitar
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 05:12:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum Aidan
You've pretty much dricribed Justin's beginner course.
I have no idea if Justin read the book but most of what you posted applies to
the beginner course.

(Di) Deconstruct – Break down the skill into a sub-set of skills. What are the fundamental components of playing the guitar (acoustic)?
This is the BC in a nut shell. The foundation you will need to continue learning guitar.

S) Select – Highest frequency, highest return, least effort (Pareto principle). Identify the 20% available sub-skills that can be used to produce 80% of the desired results (the sub-skills I’ll use most frequently). In other words, If I only had 20% of the time to learn, what sub-skills should I focus on? Also, what do most novices waste their time on?
This is the 5 minute practice using a timer. Make you focus on the task at hand and not
waste the time.

(S) Sequence – High margin of error, quick competency, early win. Learn and practice the 20% high frequency sub-skills in a sequence that allows you to quickly experience a feeling of competency. In other words, in what order?
The beginner course is the 20% high frequency sub-skill for everything that come after.

(S) Stakes – Deadlines and social incentives. ‘A goal without consequences is wishful thinking’ – set financial penalties or tell a friend you’re going to learn x by date y.
I personally don't think this applies to anything. If you do something because of a dead line
that's when mistakes are made and frustation sets in.
Playing a musical instrument should be enjoyable.
Setting goals is important also realistic.

So to sum everything up use the time you would have reading a book on learning guitar
using the Beginner Course and you'll do just fine.
And if you really need financial penalties it will come when you start buying more guitars
and guitar related gear :)

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 06:46:26 pm »
You've pretty much described Justin's beginner course.

So to sum everything up use the time you would have reading a book on learning guitar
And if you really need financial penalties it will come when you start buying more guitars
Spot on Stitch. Well said.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 07:38:25 pm »
You can apply the framework you've described to learn anything skill based, but learning to play music, on guitar involves a lot more than just mastering skills.    You can't learn 'feel' or 'tone' or 'dynamics' or 'nuance'  when you don't what those things mean with respect to playing guitar.   And even whenn you do know what those things mean you can't possibly quantify the amount of whatever it takes to develop those abilities.  These things can't be taught in any other way other than creating music, imo.
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:48:07 pm »
What Stitch and Alex said.

BC and IM are the foundation for everything else, so maybe that's your 20%
Feel touch tone are found by emotion and expression. No "magic" formula will teach you how to learn that. That will only come with practice, experimentation and above all else from your inner soul, you have to feel it not learn it. You ever had that moment when a piece of music or song makes your hairs stand on end. That's pure emotion, its why music is so evocative and also illusive. Getting that 20% is fairly easy, compared to the next 80%. You'll be chasing that for the rest of you life.

Don't read about learning, get on and learn and play. Simples.  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 11:37:11 pm »

You are a TREASURE stitch. You have a talent for saying the right thing in the right way at the right time.

Admiration and respect and another vibe sir.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Holensum

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 11:58:13 pm »
What Stitch said!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Aidan32

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 09:49:03 am »
Thanks everyone for the great replies!

Yeah, i echo what everyone has said, I think Stitch has got it spot on.

I was going to drop a line in saying how as i think about this it seems that there are many similarities with Justin's course  -at least how I've experienced it so far. Nice to have that confirmed by a knowledgable person lol!

My intuition is that there are so many creative aspects to playing an instrument and creating music generally, that applying a general framework to it will only get you so far. But then in my studies I have come across arguments that creativity is a skill that can be honed and mastered by anyone, just like any skill. I think Robert Greene in his book Mastery argues a version of this - I have his book and will start reading it this week. It's an interesting debate for sure.

But then as one poster said sometimes you just have to take action and do it....don't let perfection be the enemy of good.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 181
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 10:25:05 am »

I have his book and will start reading it this week.

Noooooo - just play  ;)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline Aidan32

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 11:55:58 am »

Noooooo - just play  ;)

Lol i hear you, but im not reading it to help me learn the guitar, its more for understanding how human beings learn in a general sense. Its something ive recent.y become interested in and if anything i would be applying any insights to the field of economics.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 03:20:15 pm »
But then in my studies I have come across arguments that creativity is a skill that can be honed and mastered by anyone, just like any skil

This is true, music is a skill and like any skill the more time and effort you put in the bigger
the reward. But like all skills there are some that will just be a little better than others no
matter how much time and effort they put in.

The key is to be the best you can be with the time you have. 5 minutes of focused practice
is better than hours of noodling. This doesn't mean noodling is bad you can discover a lot
about yourself and your personal style by mindless noodling, but it shouldn't be your main
focus when you sit down to practice.
A well planned practice routine is the best way to practice.

In my experience people who fail at anything is because they like the idea of doing it but
don't want to put in the time it takes to actually do it. Never mind the time it takes to do
it well.
You seen like someone willing to put in the time and effort so I think you'll do well.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App