Author Topic: Locked Down and Lonesome - original track for the Covid 2020 album  (Read 2545 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
  • Teesside, North East England.
Yesterday, I got a bit silly on tobyjenner's Attestation Blues thread and started firing off random nonsense song titles to fit in with the covid theme. a] Locked Down & Lonesome, b] Panic in the Pandemic, c] Your Love Just Infected Me, d] Keep Your Virus To Yourself, e] Your Breath Is Sweet, Your Kiss Is Deadly.

Trying to get to sleep last night, one of them nagged at me and started forming into a lyric. Today I thought I'd push and prod a little, see what developed. I got some iffy lyrics, a little melody and a country and western song in waltz time. This is all the work of a couple of hours today.

It is not notable for the second take fumbling guitar playing. This is not a one-take Wednesday I'm afraid, take one had errors I couldn't live with. Take 2 has flubs too but this is meant to be silly and the heck with it.

No. It is notable for being the exclusive, the first, probably the only, the world premiere (I kid you not) of me singing. I can't sing. I shouldn't sing. I only sing at home. Please excuse the singing. It is meant to be a comedy country & western song.

I present for your entertainment, amusement and what-not:

Locked Down And Lonesome

https://soundcloud.com/mrclose2u/locked-down-and-lonesome

edited to add the video version:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 08:24:35 am by close2u »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
Re: Locked Down and Lonesome - original track for the Covid 2020 album
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 09:06:01 pm »
Lyric:

Chorus
Locked down, locked down and lonesome
Sadness in my brain, my yearning’s in vain
I’m locked down and lonesome again

We met on a warm day late August
Attraction so hard to resist
Two meters no nearer, Still feeling the fear
Kept socially distanced at first

I knew from your eyes that I’d love you
But the course of our love couldn’t run true
We agreed it was best
We took a swab test
And we wait for results to come through

Chorus

Praise this day, we’re officially negative
Our love can receive and can give
I was too slow to ask
So you took off my mask
Then we laughed, we kissed and we lived

Covid headed in every direction
We saw a rising rate of infection
Knew we were in trouble
You weren’t in my bubble
It’s not safe to make an exception

Chorus   x2

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 09:28:22 pm »
Richard

Man that's great. Really quite moving and poignant. Its odd in these mask filled days, you can look at a stranger and really see beauty in their eyes, where normally you would be taking in other "parameters". What strange days we live in but still have the ability to turn life into art.

So what's it to be ? Country, Rap, Ballad, Quo and Full Metal Jacket ? To music please sir and soon.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?to

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 09:30:43 pm »
Oops jump the gun, as I landed direct on the lyrics post for some reason. Rewind <<<<<<<<<<
Hasta la vista ..............said Arnie.  8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 178
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 09:45:35 pm »
Well what can I say. Now that the muziques added what a treat. Seeing the lyrics first did make me think, where is Close going to pigeon whole this ? But the C&W style fits it to a tee(side). Great performance and in no need of any critique, as these "observation on life" songs just need to be allowed to live.

Glad to have caused a spark. Now crack a Newkie open and congratulate ye sen.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 12:09:56 am »
Lovely lovely lovely, who would have thought for a (as you call it) silly covid song? I have to encourage you now to dig a bit deeper on the lyrics and transform it to an any-time song, where the lyrics could be covid or could be any other song of yearning. Or what the hell leave it as is, it certainly fits the times

Mari
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 179
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 01:17:41 am »
It is notable for being the exclusive, the first, probably the only, the world premiere (I kid you not) of me singing. I can't sing. I shouldn't sing. I only sing at home. Please excuse the singing.

Mr Close2U what a magnificent debut. Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Joe Cocker could have been your vocal coaches Richard. I get your intention - comedy country and western - but really this goes beyond, as Clint would say 'twangy twangy twang'. 

Dexterous, melodic, clever playing, nice lilt, swing and sashay to the vibe. In all sincerity I like your voice very much, so much so that as you and your guitar hit some high points, several times I had to exclaim 'Jolly good show Richard'.

Now you started something and there's no gettin' out of it.

8)
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 357
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 04:55:52 am »
Ah, Richard, my friend ... what a debut, what a premier, and I most sincerely hope not the last.

Good Vibes for going to the places where you support and encourage us disciples of JG to go.

It is somehow comforting to see that even at your calibre and ability, one is still vulnerable to self-doubt, to be a demanding self-critic.

The song has it's moments of humour but the word that came to my mind was the one Maggie used "poignant". Even with the lighter turn-of-phrase the song was evocative, told a moving story.

I reflected back on your comment yesterday made on my This year's Love about vocal style and I think fair to say similar right back at you. You can sing IMO and again, given that Maggie ... one of the human pitch meters in the Community ... said so, it is so. I enjoyed the phrasing, the timbre, the inflections ... dare I say it ... might have lifted the vocal up a few dB in the mix or turned the gain down on the guitar input if recorded as a live, single-take.

And, lastly, as always, your guitar playing is always a treat to listen to and an inspiration to continue to study, practice, and work to improve my own ... demonstrating who good a single acoustic can send.

Bravo, Richard, hope you enjoyed that well deserved celebratory Newkie, which fellow Geordies, like the aforementioned Mark K, might also favour.

Offline RC23

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 10:17:39 am »
Who says you can’t sing?

It’s just a matter of finding (or writing) the right material.

Really enjoyed it, Guitar, vocal, lyrics all worked very well.

Rod.
BC (Classic) done, Intermediate Course  - in progress. Theory Course - in progress.

Guitars: Fender American Strat, Fender Japan Telecaster, Epiphone Flamekat, Eastman AC120CE
Amps: Fender Tonemaster DR, Joyo JTA-05

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 10:39:47 am »
... moving and poignant. Its odd in these mask filled days, you can look at a stranger and really see beauty in their eyes...

Thanks for the compliments and very kind observations. I wanted to have comedy yet still touch a note of realism and honesty so that it was not silly pantomime pastiche. And very perceptive of you to pick up on the line about eyes - that is exactly what I was aiming at - the fact that as we meet people now, with faces covered, the eyes become even more important as a connection.

... the C&W style fits it to a tee ... Great performance and in no need of any critique, as these "observation on life" songs just need to be allowed to live...

I did drink to that. G&T last night however - not at all a country & western drink haha.

@embishop 

Thanks Mari.
Three lovelies! Wow. I am happy with that. I see what you mean about the potential to morph this into a universal song of yearning. I was so taken with the impulse to follow a creative spark yesterday I just rushed the lyrics, and the entire thing truth be told, in an effort to get it out there.
Maybe it is something that can now be moulded artistically.

@batwoman ...
Dexterous, melodic, clever playing, nice lilt, swing and sashay to the vibe. In all sincerity I like your voice very much, so much so that as you and your guitar hit some high points, several times I had to exclaim 'Jolly good show Richard'.

For real? All of that? Oh my. Oh my goodness.
In truth, I was surprised and pretty happy with the main melodic parts I stumbled upon. When I first began, I had a faint echo of a vocal line that had come to me as I neared sleep the night before. When I tried to turn that into a melody starting from chords and embellishments it didn't seem to work. So my fingers took over and altered the melody plus transformed the whole thing into a waltz three-quarter time thing.
As I wrote the lyrics for the verses in more concrete form - and I should use that term loosely as I threw them down on the page of my Word Doc fairly rapidly with only a few edits along the way - I was concerned that the verses seemed to be following the phrasing and structure of the chorus (which had come first). So I set about consciously looking for a different chord progression which, fortunately, took me to a different verse melody also.
I am very aware that the intro is lengthy - one full sweep of the chorus and a verse plus a little more hang time. I needed to establish in my ear - and that of my poor listener - just what the actual melody is. I knew that my vocal attempts may or may not hit the mark. So with the intro, at least people would have a reference as to what I was trying to sing! :)
I mentioned above that this was a second take.
Truth be told though, take one was abandoned after just a short time.
So, in essence, this was actually the first time I had played and sung the entire song from start to finish. Before this recording I had just run through little fragments as I developed the ideas and checked that the lyrics scanned okay.
Maybe I could almost call it a one-take.

@DavidP ...
even with the lighter turn-of-phrase the song was evocative, told a moving story.
Thank you so much David. Very, very kind.
I know you have an interest.
To add to what I said above about composing and recording ... I used a Scarlett Solo with guitar DI and dynamic mic both into Audacity.
Post recording I added a touch of noise reduction and a smidgen of reverb. If I had any technical know-how I would have attempted to do things with my vocal track but I don't and I didn't so it remains what it is.
I reduced the level of the guitar some to even out, but am aware that the vocal is lower than the guitar.
Which suits me ha ha.

@RC23
Thanks so much Rod. I guess in many ways you're right. Especially if you're singing something of your own and can invest in it and imbue it with your own emotions. I felt I 'had' to sing this rather than ask Mrs C to do the honours. She would naturally have made it sound sweet and beautiful. But I was driven to try and get out what I had put in. Even at the expense of exposing myself in public. :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 08:42:08 pm by close2u »

Online nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 10:56:41 am »
outstanding, you've definitely got the Chris Rea thing going on there
A clap out from the pit of despair which is Darlo!!
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 357
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 11:00:42 am »
@DavidP ... Thank you so much David. Very, very kind.
I know you have an interest.
To add to what I said above about composing and recording ... I used a Scarlett Solo with guitar DI and dynamic mic both into Audacity.
Post recording I added a touch of noise reduction and a smidgen of reverb. If I had any technical know-how I would have attempted to do things with my vocal track but I don't and I didn't so it remains what it is.
I reduced the level of the guitar some to even out, but am aware that the vocal is lower than the guitar.
Which suits me ha ha.

Your guitar sounds pretty good using the DI, Richard.  If I recall correctly it is one of those Epiphones that has both a piezo and some kind of internal mic that are blended together.  Does work well.

LOL ... I figured you'd be happy with the vocal not being at the same relative level as you'd mix it if it were Mrs C delivering.  But as others have said, and dare I say you may have said to others, it sounds better than you think  ;)

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 11:14:00 am »
Definitely a Dylan/Cash vibe going on there. Great to hear you and great to hear the song. Very enjoyable sir.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline OpsRes

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 11:24:38 am »
Really enjoyed that. I agree with Batwoman, reminds me very much of a Joe Cocker sound.
As for the singing, I think you hit the mood of the song bang on, a little sad and wistful.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 179
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 12:10:42 am »
@batwoman ...
For real? All of that? Oh my. Oh my goodness.
In truth, I was surprised and pretty happy with the main melodic parts I stumbled upon. When I first began, I had a faint echo of a vocal line that had come to me as I neared sleep the night before. When I tried to turn that into a melody starting from chords and embellishments it didn't seem to work. So my fingers took over and altered the melody plus transformed the whole thing into a waltz three-quarter time thing.
As I wrote the lyrics for the verses in more concrete form - and I should use that term loosely as I threw them down on the page of my Word Doc fairly rapidly with only a few edits along the way - I was concerned that the verses seemed to be following the phrasing and structure of the chorus (which had come first). So I set about consciously looking for a different chord progression which, fortunately, took me to a different verse melody also.
I am very aware that the intro is lengthy - one full sweep of the chorus and a verse plus a little more hang time. I needed to establish in my ear - and that of my poor listener - just what the actual melody is. I knew that my vocal attempts may or may not hit the mark. So with the intro, at least people would have a reference as to what I was trying to sing! :)
I mentioned above that this was a second take.
Truth be told though, take one was abandoned after just a short time.
So, in essence, this was actually the first time I had played and sung the entire song from start to finish. Before this recording I had just run through little fragments as I developed the ideas and checked that the lyrics scanned okay.
Maybe I could almost call it a one-take.

My respect and admiration for you increase as I read this Richard. You have a talent for making complex, challenging playing sound effortless. The notes seem to simply flow from you unimpeded by technique and in one take ... wow.

Thankyou too for the insights into your creative process and the way in which your song evolved. It's way cool having a tour through your musician's brain. Fascinating and informative.

I know Mrs C would deliver a beautiful vocal, but somehow I find your voice and interpretation of the song magnetic. There's a quality in your voice that compels me to listen and then there's the voice of your guitar, you make a fine duo.

So very glad you've taken this leap Richard.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Online sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 11:53:33 am »
Hi Richard that was an enjoyable companion to my morning coffee. A little sad perhaps but very current. Like Maggie I was fascinated to read your ‘process’.

I thought your voice suited the song and you certainly shouldn’t be shy about using it. The different verse, chorus melodies were terrific and some great guitar playing too.
Studying Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules.
Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎.
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Online SillySock7

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
    • My Road Case
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 12:47:52 pm »
Richard that was great! Thoroughly enjoyed the song, vibes for stеpping out of your comfort zone and singing! Really hope its not the last time we get to hear your voice.
Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.

Offline Mike Sebastian P

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 12:53:32 pm »
Hi, Richard! I really liked your song - bravo! Your guitar sounded great and the sound and performance was top notch. I also liked the vocals, I always envied those people who can play the guitar or something else and sing :)
Thanks for sharing

Mike

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 111
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 03:16:33 pm »
Hey Richard,
If I had a conscience I'd feel very small, not having noticed this offering till today  ::)
It's easy to forget you are not just our sensei, but have your own guitar journey, which we get glimpses of every now and again. Thanks for sharing  :)

You pulled off the delicate balance of sincerity and humour with panache. Fab listen.
A recent thread brought up the quality of singing, and I came to the conclusion that for me, it's the authenticity that's important.
You confirm my beliefs.
I like the gentle rasp, a nod to Rod Stewart or Mr. Waits, lets hope your barfly days are well behind you  ;)
In Steve's wallpaper thread, I also mentioned how I like to see creativity unfold before me. Hey presto- you oblige!
Have some good vibes for this and come out of your shell more often.

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 36
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 06:13:06 pm »
This was a treat! Not sure what else to say but I really enjoyed it. Well done sir!

Offline Alex6strings

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 06:23:32 pm »
Very cool and enjoyable Richard, thanks for sharing this.   Your voice is really good mate and I like the sort of rough edge you have to your tone.   I hope your lockdown is filled with musical discoveries.  cheers mate
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2020, 08:58:04 pm »
Lots of people with very fine comments for which I am humbly grateful I will return to thank you in time ...

I wanted to jump in with a further link as I have created a video around this. It is definitely taking the lonesome tone and is way more on the sad side using a series of heartbreaking photographs.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 08:22:10 am by close2u »

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 115
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 11:06:31 pm »
I came looking to hear the song again but for some reason it stops just after a minute both here and on YouTube. Will have to come back later.

Singing is an interesting thing. Your vocals work quite well for this song. I’m no big country fan but I can also hear a couple of big names on this one - phone up Dolly Patton’s agent cuz I can hear it spinning into a Dolly classic.

And again it’s a great novelty song, but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for the mainstream version 😃
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 617
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 08:24:09 am »
I came looking to hear the song again but for some reason it stops just after a minute both here and on YouTube. Will have to come back later.

Fixed. Thanks for alerting me. :)

.. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the mainstream version 😃

Keep hoping enough it may happen! :)

ps

Dolly agent is busy right now. I may try again later.

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 357
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 08:40:54 am »
Enjoyed a second listen when I spotted the slideshow.  I am one who enjoys a slideshow and the images conveyed the emotions. Good one, Richard.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App