Author Topic: Lloydy's Road Case. A Newbie Guitar Journey!  (Read 932 times)

Offline Lloydy

• Good Vibes 0
Lloydy's Road Case. A Newbie Guitar Journey!
« on: November 06, 2020, 08:04:17 pm »
Evening everyone,

Facing the current government regulations for COVID and being told I must take some away from work. I’d just moved jobs during the first lockdown so I worked through the first lockdown.

My mind pondered over what I could possibly do to keep me sane and busy during the month off I’d been given.

Having read the book Ultralearning I decided I wanted to commit myself for the month and see how good I could get at something..

Question being what should I choose....

I stumbled across some YouTube videos late at night a few months ago, and in the black hole that gets you watching something you never knew you’d be interested in.

I watched at Anderson’s video of NAMM 2020 and fell in love with the PARALLEL UNIVERSE VOLUME II MAVERICK DORADO in green :)

I sent some emails out to some local privately owned music shops and ended up speaking with James from T R Music who advised that a newbie might not be suited for this epic guitar.

After breaking my heart he advised of some more beginner options and I ended up making a purchase at a price I was more than happy with. They even kept the store open slightly later than normal when I collected the Guitar on Wednesday evening. Big Thank-you for this!

Following this I’ve spent a few days researching and working out best strategies for success (happy for more advice/tips)

I will be keeping a log daily and advising my daily activities/training and let’s see how far I can get in a months time. My plan is to split everything into 15 minute slots so I don’t fatigue too badly and allow time to recover during the day.

Today’s activity
15 mins chord change
15 mins strumming practice at 100bpm
15 mins spider walk up/down (I was awful at this and it hurt)
15 mins learning songs
15 mins chord change
15 mins strumming practice at mixture of bpm
10 mins music theory

Any questions you would like to know please fire them over!

Lloydy

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 218
    • My Road Case
Re: Lloydy's Road Case. A Newbie Guitar Journey!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 08:59:35 pm »
Welcome Lloydy,

I have a fes questions:

Are you following Justin's beginner's course?

What guitar did you eventually get?

Do you have an amp?

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 09:13:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum Lloydy  :)

It won't be long before your RC title is a thing of the past  :D

While I admire your goal "Having read the book Ultralearning I decided I wanted to commit myself for the month and see how good I could get at something" I'm assuming you are a beginner with no previous experience? If this is so I have some concerns. Your practice schedule on some days may be a little too full on. 15 minutes doing the Spider may be too much, it shouldn't hurt. Discomfort yes, but  hurt no. You're wise to factor in recovery time. Logging your progress is an excellent strategy.

It's important that you enjoy at least some of your practice and playing, if it's all hard slog or even worse if it's hurting you, it becomes counterproductive. I'd suggest you take a more flexible approach, listen to your body especially your fingers, wrists, elbows and shoulders. Back off where you need to. This might mean you spend some more time on theory on a day where your fingertips are sore.

In choosing the bpm of your exercises, aim for a quality sound and tone first, then choose a bpm that allows you to achieve this. It might mean playing at a slower rate. Once you have good tone and easy finger placement then increase the bpm.

I'm assuming you're working your way through Justin's course? Follow his guidance, adding in elements as he suggests.

Enjoy your adventure and remember to give yourself regular pats on the back for your commitment and achievements.

Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Lloydy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 09:29:11 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes I’m brand new in learning guitar although I did have a small go many years ago with an acoustic. However I’m classing myself as a true beginner in all sense.

I’ve already downloaded the APP and I’m going through Stage 1 currently making notes as I go along.

Chord changes for the first three chords are running around 35 changes per minute currently, in regards the BPM comment I’m just strumming along trying to keep in sync with metronome nothing more at moment.

I’ve got a Squire Stratocaster and a Fender amp in the end which I’m happy with  :D

My plans in regards practice will be following the App and then short 15 minutes sessions spread throughout the day.

Lloydy

Offline ElectroGuitara

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 08:51:37 am »
Welcome and good luck, mate! :)
Justin APP and video lessons are good teachers.

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 640
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 09:07:16 am »
Welcome to the forum and your guitar journey Lloydy.
Like batwoman, I would urge caution on the spider - it is designed for short, slow practice, not marathons.
All else seems like a good start.

ps
I'm moving this to create a 'Road Case' for you.

Offline Lloydy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 09:51:28 am »
Welcome to the forum and your guitar journey Lloydy.
Like batwoman, I would urge caution on the spider - it is designed for short, slow practice, not marathons.
All else seems like a good start.

ps
I'm moving this to create a 'Road Case' for you.

Okay thank-you I will revise my timings for the Spider following advice =)

Lloydy

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 370
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 01:21:47 pm »
Warm welcome to the Community, Lloyd.  Always enjoy Road Cases and look forward to following your progress.

Enjoy the adventure

Offline Lloydy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 10:51:21 pm »
Evening,

Definitely felt some fatigue from first day excitement, so I decided less is more today.

15 mins chord change
15 mins learning songs
15 mins strumming practice also tried a little bit of alternative picking
5 mins spider

Will probably try and do some more theory tomorrow and let body recover slightly, also it’s a good day for sports  :D

Lloydy

Offline Lloydy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 10:51:51 pm »
Evening again,

Not much practice today as right shoulder is feeling some discomfort.

Managed my new records on the one minute chord challenge

A-D 46
A-E 58
D-E 49

With the discomfort in my right shoulder managed the following practice:

15 mins chord change including the one minute challenges
7 mins chord change with metronome,

I tried to push the BPM over and above my new records so hoping for improvement over coming days.

Lloydy

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 196
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 12:58:55 am »
Not much practice today as right shoulder is feeling some discomfort.

With the discomfort in my right shoulder managed the following practice:

These comments concern me.   

Pain is your body's way of telling you something's not right.  Repetitive exercises like chord changes can leave muscles, tendons, ligaments inflamed, sore and stressed. They need time to recover and heal.

You may find some stretches useful, check YouTube.

I'd also suggest you check your posture.

What kind of chair are you sitting on? A soft sofa isn't ideal.
Are you sitting right on your butt, weight even on both sides?
Are you sitting upright and relatively straight?
Are your shoulders back and is your chin tucked in?
Are both your shoulders dropped and relaxed?

During rest periods you can look at your theory eg begin learning the notes on the fret, the low E string is a good start. Have a look at Justin's course.

Hasten slowly  :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:37:06 am by batwoman »
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline Lloydy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 10:02:23 am »
These comments concern me.   

Pain is your body's way of telling you something's not right.  Repetitive exercises like chord changes can leave muscles, tendons, ligaments inflamed, sore and stressed. They need time to recover and heal.

You may find some stretches useful, check YouTube.

I'd also suggest you check your posture.

What kind of chair are you sitting on? A soft sofa isn't ideal.
Are you sitting right on your butt, weight even on both sides?
Are you sitting upright and relatively straight?
Are your shoulders back and is your chin tucked in?
Are both your shoulders dropped and relaxed?

During rest periods you can look at your theory eg begin learning the notes on the fret, the low E string is a good start. Have a look at Justin's course.

Hasten slowly  :)

Thank-you for the attached advice I’ve not done any strumming practice for 48 hours after the initial practice.

My practice area isn’t great so will work on finding something that will be better suited.

Yesterday’s practice throughout the day circa 30 mins chord practice, wasn’t as time conscious as previously.

Lloydy

Offline sandrat

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 02:53:53 am »
Hi Lloydy,

I'm also a newbee.  At first I used to get severe pain in my right shoulder like you, and it was obvious... my posture was all wrong, and I wasn't relaxed enough... too tense... as if I was on a race to become the next guitar Goddess.

I now do shoulder stretching exercising before my sessions and make sure I am sitting straight... shoulder pain gone. I really recommend the shoulder stretching..

Get The Forum As A Mobile App