Author Topic: Your Name (is the Name) - rough demo, Christian song  (Read 455 times)

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 32
Your Name (is the Name) - rough demo, Christian song
« on: October 29, 2020, 04:18:48 pm »
I posted about this a while back and would appreciate your input on how it's going:
https://soundcloud.com/mister_boy/your-name-is-the-name/s-XFauiqjYLKk

This is literally the first demo where I've managed not to stuff up the lyrics, so it's simple verse-chorus all the way through so far, the idea would be to have some chorus repeats and a post-chorus or bridge to mix it up a bit.
Drums are just GarageBand, as much to keep in time as anything.

The earlier idea I posted is here if you want to see how it has progressed. I found it interesting how different it sounds, some elements of the earlier version I kind of prefer in terms of style! https://soundcloud.com/mister_boy/you_name_001/s-Q7J1DziM7o3

As I said before, this is specifically written with a view to communal singing in a church, not a perfromance piece.

Comments and critique welcome.

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
Re: Your Name (is the Name) - rough demo, Christian song
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 01:28:11 am »
No critiques from me. Your strumming seems pretty solid. It's a tough genre outside of a worship context. Overall a good starting place to build upon. 

Online DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Your Name (is the Name) - rough demo, Christian song
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 04:50:22 am »
John, I haven't gone back to listen to the first rough workings to compare.

I like the way the harmony, rhythm , melody and vocal has turned out. Sounds good.

You asked for critique which is always a big ask, well a big deal to answer the ask. I'm hesitant and only share some thoughts because you asked.

I know you said it is not a performance piece, but for me it stands up well as song of worship in the singer-songwriter style. As you say, perhaps needing a little something to mix it up and as you add more bits it may become long to listen to if it was on an album/radio. But played live in the Church in worship would be different.

Beyond me to say how well it may work as a song for communal singing in the Church. I guess that may depend on the Church and their musical preferences. And maybe even the congregation's ability to sing, this sounds to me like it might not be so easy to sing along ... but I didn't try and am no singer.

Dear me ... hope that is useful and said with respect and appreciation for you and the song.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App