Author Topic: Tips for a new electric guitar - quality and comfort factors  (Read 2691 times)

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
Re: Tips for a new electric guitar - quality and comfort factors
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2020, 03:50:58 pm »
.....the measurment should be about 12.7
Further to my previous post, what type of measuring tape will give you this? 😃
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 339
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2020, 03:58:33 pm »
Further to my previous post, what type of measuring tape will give you this? 😃

An imperial one  ??? Or am I missing something  :o

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2020, 04:22:38 pm »
I don’t think that it will, to do that accurately you need one that has 1/10” increments, that’s only usually available on a Ruler, tapes are mostly 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 etc and occasionally 1/32 I’ve never seen one with 1/10 on a tape.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2020, 07:00:36 pm »
Yes David, you are missing something. An imperial measuring tape will not give decimal points, which are metric. Imperial is not metric.
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’ an’ lickin’.....😎

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 233
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2020, 07:14:21 pm »
I don't know how they do it in Scotland but 3/4 of an inch = .75 of an inch.
So .7 or .70 would = 45/64th of an inch. .7  is just easier to comprehent
So Maggie's guitar should measure about 12 45/64 of an in
Now every one run out a get an imperial tape measure that has 64th of an inch
marked out one it so the can get an accurate measurment of the scale length
of their guitar. ;)

The when you go to buy a guitar you'll have to convert 64th back to decimals
because all the major brands give scale length in decimals or metric.

Problem solved, we'll now return to our regular scheduled program. :D

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2020, 07:53:32 pm »
of their guitar. ;)

Give someone an inch and they take 2.45897073 centimetres. How wonderful these last few posts have been. Reminds me of some ancient sketch that could have been on the wireless or good old 3 channel Brit tele of my youth.

If it takes a week to walk a fortnight, how many bags of sawdust does it take a duck to lay a nine foot plank source unknown as my grey matter is not in good order with our new immanent lockdown starts at midnight. So there are other scales than on fish ? How long is a fish scale ? Getting way too serious guys but I'd not say that as a rule.  8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2020, 10:03:49 pm »
I don't know how they do it in Scotland.....,,,
Hi stitch. We were measuring things in Scotland before your ancestors went to Canada! 😂

Give someone an inch and they take 2.45897073 centimetres. How wonderful these last few posts have been.
Ha ha Toby. I think you’ll find an inch = 2.54 centimetres. It was previously defined as the width of 3 barleycorns.  But who’s counting. 😂
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 10:20:42 pm by sairfingers »

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2020, 10:09:08 pm »
Great thread, and great choice for a guitar, Maggie. As offsets go, I really like the Jazzmasters too (even though they are not all that jazzy). May be something worth checking out!
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Fender Blues Junior IV, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2020, 10:42:53 pm »
Great thread, and great choice for a guitar, Maggie. As offsets go, I really like the Jazzmasters too (even though they are not all that jazzy). May be something worth checking out!
Nope, Maggie is after a short scale length, Jazzmaster is usual Fender 25 1/2”
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 53
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2020, 11:10:04 pm »

Right you are. Missed that part!
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Taylor 214CE-DLX, Fender Blues Junior IV, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 339
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2020, 05:25:09 am »
Yes David, you are missing something. An imperial measuring tape will not give decimal points, which are metric. Imperial is not metric.

Thanks Gordon ... ask a stupid question, or one that shows one's ignorance and some insight comes.

And thanks for the laugh, Toby  ;D

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2020, 03:29:25 am »
There is a work around to this! I’ve been doing it myself while I’ve been getting back into playing again, I’ve put my capo on the 2nd fret of my Ovation copy which is a 25.? Scale length and then tuned it to pitch. It’s definitely been better to play than without the capo; that puts it around the same scale length as my Harley Benton GS mini copy which I started using initially, it’s also helping get used to the bigger body size.
That said if you want an Electric anyway the Fender Player series Jaguar is nice as is the Mustang and the Duo sonic, no idea about any other brands!

These are on my list of interests Darrell. Still so much research to do and stuff to learn. Currently learning about pick-ups.  :o ??? ::)
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2020, 03:32:27 am »
Maggie

I have no technical advice to add to the thread but stoked that you have decided to go electric...think that's the right word the kids use  ;D Anyway I don't care what you get, if it gets you rockin and rollin  ;)

Enjoy the hunt.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Thanks Toby. I was very resistant to having any more than Cedar. I felt unfaithful even thinking about buying another guitar.  Now I'm embracing the idea of owning an electric and I'm very, very excited.

Rock Granny is on her way  ;D
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2020, 03:37:07 am »
Small bodied semi-hollow?

Epiphone ES339 Pro?

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPIFQ4977/ES-339-PRO/Cherry

Ooops I hijacked the thread. I made an assumption that the topic was of general interest so didn't start a thread of my own. Now I have one ha ha

Mmm that looks good Richard, thankyou very much.  :)  There's such a bewildering and wonderful array of choices. I always said if I owned an electric (never for a moment entertaining the idea) I'd have a Gretsch, but I think the body is too bulky/fat and that will cause injury so I haven't looked at any of them.

The Epiphone now added to my list. Not sure about the flat back. Wanted to go to the guitar store today, but there's a severe weather warning, best stay off the highway.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2020, 03:39:16 am »
I think you may have measured between the 11 and 12 frets.

Yes that's what I did because Google told me to and Google knows everything  :o

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2020, 03:41:30 am »
of their guitar. ;)

;D

I've fallen over at the first hurdle, can't even measure the scale length of my guitar.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2020, 03:43:33 am »

I'm curious about the Jazz Darrell. Until I can get my hands on actual guitars it's all academic. I think though the 25.5 scale may not suit.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2020, 10:53:01 am »
I'm curious about the Jazz Darrell. Until I can get my hands on actual guitars it's all academic. I think though the 25.5 scale may not suit.
The Jazzmaster is a nice guitar, you might find it less comfortable than a shorter scale length, if you like that shape a Jaguar or Jagstang would probably be great, they are 24” scale length (I think you would have to find a Jagstang pre owned) Both guitars were used a lot by Curt Cobain when he was with us and well used for Surf music also!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2020, 05:06:25 am »
I took you all to the guitar store with me this morning. Note in hand I took some tentative steps into the interior, dazzled by all the shiny things. In response to the 'Can I help you?' question from the sales guy, I replied 'I want to buy an electric guitar'. With his next question 'Who do you want it for?' clearly he hadn't entertained the possibility the guitar would be for me. To  my reply 'I want it for me'  I had to contain my laughter as the young man's eyes glazed over. ;D

I've established:
*  I'm fine with any scale length including 25.5"
*  A body with contouring at the back and possibly an offset body is perfect for me.
*  Definitely no to hollow bodies or any that have a flat back.
*  Definitely no to Epiphone, it felt alien and unfriendly
*  Definitely no to Gretsch, way too big and bulky 

The store is low in stock. The closest I got was a Squier Strat, modelled on a 70's style, made in China. I didn't like the neck.. It sounded good  unplugged. Thanks Richard I had that on my note. I was too shy to play plugged in, so asked the guy (who'd recovered his aplomb by this stage) if he'd play for me. I didn't like the sound, but I think that may have been the settings he chose on the amp. He's a heavy metal player.

I know I have to play plugged in and will do that when I'm closer what I want. Because the neck on the one I liked wasn't right it gave me an excuse not to play. I'm a very shy bat.

They are expecting more stock next month.   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 09:45:04 am by batwoman »

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2020, 08:55:11 am »
I have the 60's Classic Vibe Squier Strat
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/190603344436008--squier-classic-vibe-60s-strat-candy-apple-red-il

Its a really nice guitar, decent pickup's tuners etc, but the tone pots seem to make very little difference, a friend got the sunburst one at the same time with the same complaint.
Also the whammy bar needed a die running down the threads as it way to tight
I've had mine for 8 years, I changed the strings (9's) which made it nicer to play
I changed the bridge and Phase switches which has better quality tone pots, but for no other reason than I wanted to.

It does seem a really bad time to buy,  when I was looking for the Hofner bass there was no stock,  I also noticed prices crept up, the Hofner went from £279 to £349
The Strat is listed a little bit cheaper than what I paid.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 09:18:23 am by nigec »
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 73
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2020, 09:04:36 am »
Hi Maggie. Sounds like you’ve made a great start by establishing what you don’t like and discarding those. That narrows down the choices nicely when faced with several walls of guitars.

You’ve unfortunately had a bit of a typical guitar store salesperson experience. A dismissive, this customer knows nothing expression, followed by I’ll showboat a bit and play the style I like without asking what style the customer is into.

Remember it’s your money you’re spending and if it wasn’t for you the salesman wouldn’t have a job. Next time you go in (if there’s not another shop to go to!) pluck up the courage to play yourself. Get the salesman to set an amp up to the tones you like and simply strum a few chords. That will give you a good idea of what you like. Take your time and good luck.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 587
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2020, 09:13:05 am »
Sounds like a really productive expedition Maggie. All power to you for going in and getting yourself noticed as a guitarist.
I concur with the Classic Vibe comments - the better type of Squier by far though mods and upgrades make them even better.
When you do plug in - and it's fine if you don't know about amp settings, mention you want a clean tone, a little reverb, nothing more.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2020, 09:51:02 am »
I have the 60's Classic Vibe Squier Strat
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/190603344436008--squier-classic-vibe-60s-strat-candy-apple-red-il

Its a really nice guitar, decent pickup's tuners etc, but the tone pots seem to make very little difference, a friend got the sunburst one at the same time with the same complaint.
Also the whammy bar needed a die running down the threads as it way to tight
I've had mine for 8 years, I changed the strings (9's) which made it nicer to play
I changed the bridge and Phase switches which has better quality tone pots, but for no other reason than I wanted to.

It does seem a really bad time to buy,  when I was looking for the Hofner bass there was no stock,  I also noticed prices crept up, the Hofner went from £279 to £349
The Strat is listed a little bit cheaper than what I paid.

Lack of stock is our challenge here in Australia, especially outside the capital cities, which is where I am. I may have to go to a capital city to get a better range.

I don't have your skills to make any changes so what I buy is what I'll stay with.

Thanks for your comment, it's interesting to read you've had the guitar for 8 years.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2020, 09:58:01 am »
Hi Maggie. Sounds like you’ve made a great start by establishing what you don’t like and discarding those. That narrows down the choices nicely when faced with several walls of guitars.

You’ve unfortunately had a bit of a typical guitar store salesperson experience. A dismissive, this customer knows nothing expression, followed by I’ll showboat a bit and play the style I like without asking what style the customer is into.

Remember it’s your money you’re spending and if it wasn’t for you the salesman wouldn’t have a job. Next time you go in (if there’s not another shop to go to!) pluck up the courage to play yourself. Get the salesman to set an amp up to the tones you like and simply strum a few chords. That will give you a good idea of what you like. Take your time and good luck.

You make good points Gordon. I'm shy by nature and that compounds my reluctance to play in front of the salespeople who are all guitarists. I certainly need to be more forthright about what I want as well as asking for help and instruction. The store has private rooms so I'll ask for that too.

The look on the guy's face when he realised the electric guitar was for me was priceless. I'm laughing now as I remember it.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 173
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2020, 10:04:24 am »
Sounds like a really productive expedition Maggie. All power to you for going in and getting yourself noticed as a guitarist.
I concur with the Classic Vibe comments - the better type of Squier by far though mods and upgrades make them even better.
When you do plug in - and it's fine if you don't know about amp settings, mention you want a clean tone, a little reverb, nothing more.

You've given me yet another good piece of info Richard about amp settings. Thankyou. I'll add that to my notes. The amp he used today looked very complicated.  I'm putting my money into buying the best guitar I can and putting it through my bass amp till I buy an amp. I have plug ins for recording that will give me all the fancy effects and such.

I've made a start and will be more informed next time.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App