Author Topic: Stainless strings on normal frets question  (Read 714 times)

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
  • I kinda suck at music, but that doesn't stop me!
Stainless strings on normal frets question
« on: October 27, 2020, 07:18:49 pm »
Just wondering how long it takes to ruin frets (in general) when using stainless steel strings.

I wasn't super concerned but since i'm practicing bending now, and know grinding harder metal against softer metal isn't so great... Thought I might ask and see if anyone has any experience with how long it takes to start seeing fret wear that might start causing issues?
Just a noob who likes diminished chords and songs that use them.

Electric Guitar - Yamaha Pacifica - 012 DLX. (SSH)

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
Re: Stainless strings on normal frets question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 08:54:07 pm »
They do cause frets to wear faster but not stupidly fast; if you’ve got a Chinese made guitar they will wear faster as their fret wire is softer than most. If it’s corrosion that makes you want to use them coated strings (like Elexir) would be no worse than normal ones. The other issue is that S/S strings are tougher on your fingers.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 04:12:59 pm »
I was hoping someone would maybe add to this. I have a Yamaha Pacifica, so I don't know if that's counted as having ultra cheap frets. I'm guessing they're just average.

So by not stupidly fast, I can probably get away with using ss strings for many years without needing to worry?

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 247
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 05:25:29 pm »
I was hoping someone would maybe add to this. I have a Yamaha Pacifica, so I don't know if that's counted as having ultra cheap frets. I'm guessing they're just average.

So by not stupidly fast, I can probably get away with using ss strings for many years without needing to worry?

I'm thinking nobody has added because not a lot of people use SS strings.
I've played for over 45 years and never use SS strings on electric or acoustic.
Nickel or nickel plated on electrics and bronze on acoustics.

Fret wear is more about technique. If you play close to the fret your frets will last
a very long time.
If you play away from the frets you will wear your frets out faster.
Same when using a capo. If you put the capo in the middle between the frets it
will wear out the frets very quickly.

Same when doing bends. Do your bends right next to the fret will notonky sound better
but prolong the life of your frets.
Sorry can't answer the question on how fast SS string will cause fret wear.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 195
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 07:14:21 pm »
A lot depends on if you follow what Stitch says, if you do they will last longer than if you don’t - it’s impossible to give a specific time or even a near estimate but you could check them regularly in the areas of maximum use, you will start to see signs of wear by looking for slight flattering of the crown on the fret. I’ve had guitars using coated strings for 8 years now with no obvious signs of wear.
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline Twilight Storm

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 7
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 07:38:44 pm »
Thanks guys. I'll go ahead with another set of these then for now. I like them. (Obviously 😉)

I do try to play close to the frets and have been trying to work on a light touch. (Sometimes I catch myself attacking the neck with a deathgrip at times still, but it's getting better, and mainly when I get frustrated.)

I'll just keep an eye on my frets I guess.

Thanks again! 💖

Guitalele - Yamaha GL-1

Get The Forum As A Mobile App