Author Topic: Flare's Road Case / Progress Thread  (Read 605 times)

Offline Flare

• Good Vibes 1
Flare's Road Case / Progress Thread
« on: October 27, 2020, 05:19:39 pm »
Hello, everyone.

I'm 18, a student of pre-medical. I got an acoustic guitar this year in late January. I started learning and practised until April, after which I didn't play for about two months, which is why I consider it my progress over eight months.

I will break it into different sections so you guys can easily see different groups of things/sets of skills that I'm referring to.

Why I am sharing this:
To motivate beginners, of course, and get feedback on whether I have been too slow or I have been doing fine.

My knowledge of music before January 2020:
I had absolutely no knowledge of music before I started playing. I had no idea what notes are; I didn't know how many strings a guitar has, let alone their names. It's more than safe to say that I started as an absolute beginner minus two.

Practice routine:
I'm somewhat an "irregular" learner. There are days when I don't practice at all. Rarely (like once every two months), I practice for three hours a day (I have never practiced for an aggregate of more than three hours in a day, I'm sure). Then there are days when I play for just five minutes.
On average, I practice for about 40 minutes to an hour.

Chords that I can play:
  • All open chords
  • Some power chords
  • E-shaped barre chords (and Am-shaped too, obviously)
  • Em-shaped barre chords
  • A-shaped barre chords:
  • -> Using four fingers: ✅
  • -> Using index and ring fingers: ✅

Scales that I can play (not improvise):
  • Major Scale Position 1 and 2 (I started by learning GMaj)
  • Minor Scale (Natural) Position 1, 2, 3, and 4 (I started by learning Dm in Position 1 & 4)

Chord changes:
  • I can smoothly change between all open chords.
  • Same shaped barre chords are easier to change too.
  • Changing from E-shaped barre chords to Em-shaped barre chords is also easy.
  • For some reason, I find it easy to switch from an open chord to an A-shaped chord (I mostly play them using index and ring fingers)

What I know so far (miscellaneous):
  • Some songs
  • Basics of music theory
  • Notes on the sixth (and first), fifth and fourth strings.
  • What a key is
  • Metronome is love
  • What are bass notes
  • Different tunings
  • Adjusting truss rod
  • Changing strings, bridge saddle and nut.

Tunings that I usually use:
  • Standard (EADGBE)
  • Drop-D (DADGBE)

Currently working on:
  • More chord changes (A-shaped barre to E-shaped barre. Open to E/Em-shaped barre etc.)
  • Improvisation
  • Lead guitar skills (copying solos etc)
  • Rhythm guitar skills (advanced strumming)
  • Fingerstyle techniques
  • Figuring out keys and how one relates to another

Online lessons only:
Thank you, Justin. His videos have helped me through almost every problem that I had in the past. They still are a great source of information for a beginner like myself, and always will be. Every time I see that annoying ad that says "Learning guitar on YouTube isn't effective", I laugh. I'm sure that even paid lessons can never be as good in quality as those by Justin. I also watch other guitar teachers on YouTube, but usually when Justin doesn't have a video on that topic, and that happens VERY rarely.

My journey in my words:
When I started playing, the pain in my fingers was intense. Bending my neck to get an Em correct, blowing over my fingertips, and what not. None of that was half as painful as the first time I attempted to play an F chord. It felt as if my fingers were not strong enough and I didn't have/will never have the strength to get it right. Then I started watching online lessons and I realized that everyone struggles with it. Justin even showed some "easier" versions of F in his video. I started practising more and then I finally got it right in almost two weeks. I didn't go for the easier versions. I knew that each will be as hard as the other in the beginning so I should go with the "perfect" one, not the hacked one. Now I think that's one of the things I will NEVER regret. When I was learning the standard version of an F, I didn't know that the shape can be moved down the neck to play other chords. Those two weeks of painful practice had of course paid off; when I thought I was struggling to learn just one chord, in reality I had been learning more than twenty of them.

The joke's on me:
I find one thing about my entire journey quite funny: the fact that I'm a rock fan & I have an acoustic guitar. I cannot afford an electric guitar but that has never stopped me from learning and playing my favorite rock riffs on the wooden beauty I currently have. I have learned so much on it and that alone makes me happy.

Advice to fellow beginners:
  • Don't give up. Practicing little or more doesn't matter as long as you don't stop altogether.
  • Play what you like.
  • Always ask those who know, when stuck.
  • Barre chords are only as painful as open chords are when you first try them.

My first transcription:
I occasionally transcribe my favorite riffs and chord progressions when I cannot find them online. Two days ago I transcribed a complete song (Urdu) and today it got approved on Ultimate Guitar. I consider it a huge success.

Thanks for reading. =)

Have a nice day,
A.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:52:06 pm by Flare »

Offline Flare

• Good Vibes 1
Re: Flare's Road Case / Progress Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 05:22:08 pm »
Hello, mods.
I'm new to this forum so if I have posted this in the wrong section (although I have tried my best not to), please move it to the right one. Apologies for any inconvenience that it may have caused.
Thank you. =)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 633
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 05:24:56 pm »
Hello Flare and welcome ... I have moved it for you
:)

Offline Flare

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 05:30:41 pm »
Hello Flare and welcome ... I have moved it for you
:)
Hey, thank you. I really treasure the kindness and the welcome.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 369
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 05:00:24 am »
Welcome to the Community, A.

Fabulous first post to share your journey and progress.

You specifically asked about progress, pace, doing fine. Well, I tend not to worry about the pace, only the progress. That said, you sound totally on top of things, making excellent progress, and (for what it is worth) I think you have covered a lot of ground for the time on the road.

The proof of the pudding is of course in the playing. So a suggestion I would make as a next step would be to make some recordings of you playing. Most ideal is a video that shows the whole of the guitar, your arms and hands, your head would be a bonus  ;D. The visual and audio quality of a smart phone is fine.
You can post these videos up in the Video and Audio Performance Progress area on the Audio Video of You Playing board. If you need help with the hosting and posting, just ask.

While I know, from personal experience and a few years here, that the though of that is for most pretty scary, all who take the plunge say how valuable it was and that there is nothing to be scared of from the Community ... we take care of trolls here.

You will receive the feedback that confirms progress, points out any areas to work on that you may not be aware of, and loads of encouragement.

Only other comment I can make refers to scales.  You have learnt quite a number of patterns but not improvising.  One of the recommendations from Justin and the experienced folk here is to stay with one position until you can begin to improvise over simple backing tracks.  Accumulation of scale patterns without being able to use them to play music is not the recommended way.

Otherwise, congrats on the transcription. Congrats on the progress. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Offline Flare

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 04:52:45 pm »
Welcome to the Community, A.

Fabulous first post to share your journey and progress.

You specifically asked about progress, pace, doing fine. Well, I tend not to worry about the pace, only the progress. That said, you sound totally on top of things, making excellent progress, and (for what it is worth) I think you have covered a lot of ground for the time on the road.

The proof of the pudding is of course in the playing. So a suggestion I would make as a next step would be to make some recordings of you playing. Most ideal is a video that shows the whole of the guitar, your arms and hands, your head would be a bonus  ;D. The visual and audio quality of a smart phone is fine.
You can post these videos up in the Video and Audio Performance Progress area on the Audio Video of You Playing board. If you need help with the hosting and posting, just ask.

While I know, from personal experience and a few years here, that the though of that is for most pretty scary, all who take the plunge say how valuable it was and that there is nothing to be scared of from the Community ... we take care of trolls here.

You will receive the feedback that confirms progress, points out any areas to work on that you may not be aware of, and loads of encouragement.

Only other comment I can make refers to scales.  You have learnt quite a number of patterns but not improvising.  One of the recommendations from Justin and the experienced folk here is to stay with one position until you can begin to improvise over simple backing tracks.  Accumulation of scale patterns without being able to use them to play music is not the recommended way.

Otherwise, congrats on the transcription. Congrats on the progress. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Hey, thank you so much. =)

I tried posting links to some of the audios that I had recorded about a month ago but it said I cannot post external links so I removed that section from my post. I will sure share them once I have the feature unlocked and would love to get feedback from this wonderful community.

As for the scales, I learned some of them because I had to copy a few solos that were otherwise quite painful to be copied. Secondly, I learned multiple positions so if I ever start working on a scale, I don't have to learn the position from scratch. I'm trying to improvise in GMaj already and knowing the position has helped me a lot.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 194
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 01:22:42 am »
Welcome to the forum Flare. I'm impressed with your methodical approach and your fortitude. Looking forward to hearing your recordings.
Walcott Custom OM Acoustic , G&L Tribute Fallout Electric, Crafter T035 OM Acoustic, Ashton Bass.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App