Author Topic: Diary of a Madman - A 21st Century Modelling Amp Tale  (Read 978 times)

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
Diary of a Madman - A 21st Century Modelling Amp Tale
« on: October 26, 2020, 07:37:35 pm »
Or A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Recording Studio

Fender Mustang – Handy Hints Sound Loss

Note to Mods – cross reference link to Amps and Speakers below and vice versa
https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48044.0#new

So  I thought I’d share some helpful recovery tips I’ve accumulated by dogged experience as an owner of a Fender Mustang III v 2 and the now unsupported Fender Fuse software and interface. I suspect these would be equally valid for the new Mustang GTs and Fender Tone software or for that matter any other modelling amp with a software interface. I’ll leave that to the experts though. But the hints come with a hopefully amusing tale of me losing even more hair this weekend.

So after an up and down year lacking regular practice and the nagging thought that I really need to get back on the horse and nail this pony (yeah Mustang puns galore), Friday night I sat down and watched a rerun of a BBC Peter Green documentary and thought right,  this weekend, forecast is rubbish, gonna spend some time improvising over some good slow blues backing tracks. Nothing special just get slowly back into the groove.

Chucking it down Saturday afternoon as expected. Decided on backing track, decided which guitar (SG………its nearest my audio/pc desk set up……..lazy wot me ?). Plug in power up. NADA !!!!!!!!!!!! So I check all the usual suspects, as amp is USB’d to PC with a 3” speaker cable in its phones jack to shut it up and not blow the windows out. XLR from Amp goes into AI into PC back out through AI and my Shure headphones. All looked ok. Amp powered off unplugged and guitar repluuged into AI. We have sound Yeehaaah. But…………..we also have dead amp !!

Pulled the little speaker cable out of the Amp phones jack and powered up the amp and the speaker is chucking out  a wall of static like no one’s business. Here we go again the integral FX firmware has got its knickers in a twist again. It will need to be a factory reset. Bummer (we’ll come back to that).

Now this happened a while back but I could not remember how to do the reset and as usual when the wotsit hits the fan, thinking straight goes out the window. So after long moments of Googling later, aha solution. Hold the Exit button and power on, keep holding until Exit light goes out. Ah yes remember now.

Did all that Nothing. Worked last time. Now ? NOTHING !! Wash rinse repeat = NOTHING. Aaarghhh. Tried same several more times, gave up and thought about options. New amp ? Visit shop at Rennes which is Covid hotspot mmmmmmm nooooooo.  Popped up to see missus, “what’s all the hollering and cussing”. Initial brief Anglo Saxon explanation that amp don’t work !! “Well just but a new one” yeah ok not quite that simple. Started explaining essence of modelling amps, 2-3 years to find right sounds etc etc ahh eyes glazing over moment. Ok says I will think about it but will bank initial answer for the future.

Open beer or three then bed.

Skip to Sunday afternoon, all chores done and a sudden eureka moment. Reinstall independent Firmware on the Amp. So may be a bit tricky as Fender took the Fuse website down a while back but hey ho. Don’t forget I’m thinking on my feet here. So, I plug in SG, fire up amp, fire up Fuse on PC. Found Firmware Update in Utilities menu and great cooking on gas, cushty. Logic said go for update but no deal as now website is unavailable non starter. Doh. But other option is to reload the OE firmware, of course dummy its on your PC double doh. So I do the dirty deed and hey presto I have working amp ………………with all those crappy FX provided by Fender’s comedy installations department. Here I go again, cue Whitesnake anyone.

Now I knew this would happen and its where Handy Hint #1 and #4 comes in, see below.

Last time I lost all the FX functionality and sound output I did the Factory reset and spent about 2 weeks rebuilding my FX library close to what was on the amp before it crashed. As said above bummer big bummer , actually really bigger big  bummer. Hey but that was when the Fuse website was still up and I had I reasonable idea of the Fuse and Intheblue FX I wanted. But it took ages to get near to the pre-crash FX library. Then when I was done and tidying up my PCs Fender folder, I noticed that all of the 100 reloaded FX effects that I had put on the amp was now in the Fender/Preset folder,

And that discovery is what made this crash quicker to recover. The folder lists the presets 00-99 as they appear on the amp, so I created a new folder called Current Amp Preset and date stamped with the install day and copied over all the newly installed FX from Prests to the new folder. And that is what saved me oodles of time recovering the Amp from this last crash !!

Ok but it still a ball ache but using Fuse I opened each of the 100 FX in the amp, then using the Amp Media Library found the newly opened FX, right clicked and saved to amp in the appropriate FX slot. Sounds like an onerous task and took close on two hours but better than reloading from vague memories or sites that are no longer available. But I got there.

Upside of all this is when I told the missus I’d recovered the amp, she asked what did I have to do next ? Well, said I, I will have to check that each of the reloaded 100 presets are working ok, so I have to test each one by playing over a backing track to make sure they are ok one by one  ;).
Well if that’s what you have to do ………….says she.  ;D

So life is good after all………………….anyone still awake out there ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those with Mustang/Fuse set up that have suddenly lost or are yet to lose all FX output here’s the abridged version. As I said in the intro may work for Fender GT/Tone or other modelling amps with software interfaces............may. Ask someone more knowledgeable than me.

1.   If you have replaced your factory FX items, look in Fender/Presets folder on your PC and copy the contents to a new folder called something like Current FX ddmmyy. Does not matter if the new folder is in the Presets folder, it will be easier to locate. This is your rebuild insurance policy,

2.   If your Mustang suddenly loses all output and you have verified everything bar the amp is ok and a power off and on does not resolve, you will need a Factory Reset. Power on the Amp while holding the Exit button and keep holding Exit until its light goes out. There is also a restore option in Fuse but I have not used that. If you then have sound and FX but they are the crappy OEs, see step 4.

3.   If the amp is still dead after the Factory Reset, its likely that the onboard firmware has had a hissy fit and is not playing ball. Fire up Fender Fuse on PC and sync to amp (ie power amp up as well ‘k). Go to Main Menu / Utilities and select Update Firmware and select the Reload option that will reinstall the Firmware from your PC. All should be well bar those crappy 100 FX. Go to step 4

4.   Now you have the semi onerous task of reloading all the FX that were on the Amp before it followed the Leamings off the cliff. Heck if you liked all the OE FX and did not changed them you are good to go, so plug in (please power off first) and let rip. So ok who keeps it stock FX. Really ? Its reload time.

Open the Media Library option on the Fuse app and the select Open from the top left corner commands and go to the folder that holds your saved FX. They should be prefixed with their previous FX slot, so select 00 for starters, which will then load to the amp. In the Media Library Amp section use the right hand scroll bar to identify the newly loaded FX, it will be highlighted dark blue. I say this as some of the internal labelling does not match the external file name but the one highlighted will be the one you just loaded.
Right click the highlighted entry, select Load FX To Amp and assign slot 00. Wash rinse repeat for FX 1 to 99. Once done you will be back to where you started. Simples.

5.   If you change the parameters on any FX in the future and want to keep them, select Save on the Fuse menu. This will update the file in the Preset folder BUT copy that updated file to your Current Preset folder in case it all goes tits up again.

6.   If none of the above recovers your amp a) please don’t blame me this is purely advisory I am no expert b) go here and remember what my missus said
https://www.thomann.de/gb/amplifiers_for_electric_guitars.html

Hopefully, if any of you get in this same nightmare, the above may help. If you are still here, I hope this has met its primary task of being of help, has kept you amused or it will be put forward for the 2021 Nobel Prize Health Innovations Award (should there be one) as a world class cure for insomnia.

Time to test FX 00.

Be safe be well peeps and keep rockin

Cheers

Toby   
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 23
Re: Diary of a Madman - A 21st Century Modelling Amp Tale
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 09:24:07 pm »
Toby, two things:
- This was a great read!
- I will print this out and save it in case my Mustang IV decides to do this one day. So thank you for this report!

Hopefully you've played some hard rock tunes with your freshly old presets 8)!

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 10:51:21 pm »
Toby, two things:
- This was a great read!
- I will print this out and save it in case my Mustang IV decides to do this one day. So thank you for this report!

Hopefully you've played some hard rock tunes with your freshly old presets 8)!

GLP

By the time I wrote this up I was knackered and well past my playing time but glad you enjoyed the tale of woe. But more importantly I hope this just helps folks who get this Mustang lockout. Might just be my amp but that's twice now and 2nd time a straight OE reset on the amp failed but firmware reinstall recovered it. All simples stuff but losing those accumulated FX is a pain in the butt and the reload takes a bit of time. If it helps anyone else in the future all well and good.

So no playing tonight but as I type this reply, there is a cute little Airbourne YT playlist chugging in the background.

No way but the hard way. All is cool for this ole rocker \oo/

Tomorrow a mellow groove begins at FX00 and all will be better  ;)

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 05:27:13 am »
What a tale Toby, you do have the story-telling gift ... read the lot, stayed awake, and don't have a Mustang nor have I fiddled with my amp's presets ... though hard-rocking, electric rhythm and lead is not yet my thing ... now can I remind myself why I bought the Epi LP and amp in the first place ...

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 08:18:13 am »
David

Glad you enjoyed it. Rather ironic that when I have been attempting to practice/learn new songs, over the last couple of months I've been working on some acoustic tracks albeit off and on. Yeah the amps been used periodically to keep fresh but just playing old familiar songs. My improing was getting well rusty and the licks I had learnt, taken a backward step, so with the weather bad at the weekend, I just wanted some easy chilling time.

It was a case of what the fudge next this year !! So a nightmare couple of afternoons but happily all sorted. I know quite a few folks here have Mustangs or similar and wanted avoid folks going down the same rabbit hole.

Anyway must find some time to catch up on the AOVYP sections as I just seem to run out of time these days!

Be safe and well my friend.

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 08:58:24 am »
Well I just wish you well, Toby. Things have been pretty crazy this year for all and I know you had some additional challenges at home.

Would love to hear you perform a few acoustic tunes.  Actually enjoy anything and everything you share.

As for improv/lead play ... I would love to be able to make a decent fist of that but just don't have the time and focus to devote the time to work through the lessons, practice the techniques, and spend the time playing over backing tracks.

And in addition to time, AVOYP has been pretty busy of late.  But I will say I posted my latest original up on Sunday. I know you appreciate the time and effort that goes into these multi-track projects, so it was a good feeling to get it done.

Be well brother.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 09:01:46 am »
So no playing tonight but as I type this reply, there is a cute little Airbourne YT playlist chugging in the background.

Cheers
Toby
Phew, too much eye candy for this time of the day, got me all hot and bothered 😂😂😂
Reminds me a bit of AC/DC, not listened to them much before, maybe I should take a better looksee!
Good to hear you got it sorted, quite a bit of faffing about but all things digital tend to be the same when they have a hissy fit! I had a drone that refused to play just like that, it didn’t want to load updated firmware and xx--xx out, had to wipe it out completely and start from the boot loader stage, it was a right PITA!!!
Still here, still learning - no longer letting Fibromyalgia get in the way, it sucks but doesn’t have to mean your life stops!

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 02:25:54 pm »
I have a Mustang MK1, I haven't looked at Fuse for a long time and I recently got a new laptop, so the original installation has gone.
Great read... I need to get mine back, its never lost presets, there's not many I've changed to be fair.
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 105
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 10:56:30 pm »
99 presets, eh?
So far I've tried clean and distortion.
*Sigh*

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 08:28:39 am »
@Darrell - after 38 years in IT you think I'd expect these things but it still drives you mad when it happens. But at least with a bit of savvy they are receoverable. Airbourne certainly worth a listen, they've been around for what seems ages now but I needed my daughter to bring them to my attention a couple of years back. Definitely main stream Aussie Rock genre.  8)

@Nige - Glad to hear your Mustangs been stable. Mine's just jinxed. If you've kept it pretty stock, then if this happens to you at least it should be a quick recovery.

@Brian - Yeah and the purists would say I just need one amp and a nine foot builders plank with 20 pedals nailed to it ;)  At my age I just want plug and play  ;D My selection covers some frequently used  "band" sounds for songs I play but also some of the classic bluesmen sounds, great for impros. As it also comes with 17 amp models, I have these set up as individual FX so I can swap amps using the footswitch. Anyway clean and dirty is good, I am just a lazy sod but it makes recovery a little more complicated. Be safe in Tier 3 lad.  8)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 09:10:10 am »
@Brian - Yeah and the purists would say I just need one amp and a nine foot builders plank with 20 pedals nailed to it ;)  At my age I just want plug and play  ;D My selection covers some frequently used  "band" sounds for songs I play but also some of the classic bluesmen sounds, great for impros. As it also comes with 17 amp models, I have these set up as individual FX so I can swap amps using the footswitch. Anyway clean and dirty is good, I am just a lazy sod but it makes recovery a little more complicated. Be safe in Tier 3 lad.  8)

And I think there are some great players who use just the amp, guitar tone and volume, and fingers to generate the sound and tones they want.

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 10:17:25 am »
And I think there are some great players who use just the amp, guitar tone and volume, and fingers to generate the sound and tones they want.

For sure with the emphasis on great but as they say horses for courses. Don't get me wrong I don't jump around all over the place and I do have some go to FX that I have refined, to get the sound I want for particular songs, especially the few I've penned. I've just not got the memory or patience to start twiddling knobs and dials, each time I change "bands" or genres, especially when it comes to switching pedals and there settings. And those greats tend to have consistent recognizable tone, say Gilmour or Knopfler for example. I have yet to find that "me" tone but hey one day. For interest, available Amps and Cabs on the III v 2.

Yes a whole lot to mess with and that's just for starters.   8)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 10:40:17 am »
For sure with the emphasis on great but as they say horses for courses. Don't get me wrong I don't jump around all over the place and I do have some go to FX that I have refined, to get the sound I want for particular songs, especially the few I've penned. I've just not got the memory or patience to start twiddling knobs and dials, each time I change "bands" or genres, especially when it comes to switching pedals and there settings. And those greats tend to have consistent recognizable tone, say Gilmour or Knopfler for example. I have yet to find that "me" tone but hey one day. For interest, available Amps and Cabs on the III v 2.

<image clipped>

Yes a whole lot to mess with and that's just for starters.   8)

LOL ... I'll try not to get you wrong Toby, but am ever so ignorant when it comes to tones, pedals, amps etc ;D

I actually shared that more for Brian's benefit in terms of his comment about a clean and distorted setting on the amp. 

To add to the list I seem to recall Joe Bonamassa and Keith Richards being players who don't have that Stratship Enterprise pedalboard in their chain. Think Keith declared it to be way too complicated, just plug in and turn it up LOUD  ;D

Of course us mere mortals may need all the help we can get if the plug in and play folk are folk like Gilmour, Knopfler, Richards, and Bonamassa  :o

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
    • My Road Case
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 11:59:37 am »
Personally speaking, I've been through the "playing with 50 different amp models" thing and come to the realisation that, as much fun as it can be, I don't need it. In some ways I find it gets in the way as you can get option paralysis. And, on most systems, it's an extra step you need to deal with when building a tone.

These days, I'm happy with 2 or 3 amps/models and I just stick to those core tones, and tweak using the tone controls on the amp. After all, a lot of these amp models are based on amps which have very similar circuits and, often, the main difference between them is the tone control circuitry, or the cabinet/speaker.

I like to mess with FX still, especially modulations and delays. But even for distortions/overdrives I have tended to settle on 2 or 3 that I use for almost everything, in conjunction with some EQ.

Systems which promise dozens of amp models actually tend to turn me off these days, as I know it's something I neither need or will use, unless it's something I can easily bypass.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 04:02:40 pm »
Personally speaking, I've been through the "playing with 50 different amp models" thing and come to the realisation that, as much fun as it can be, I don't need it. In some ways I find it gets in the way as you can get option paralysis. And, on most systems, it's an extra step you need to deal with when building a tone.

These days, I'm happy with 2 or 3 amps/models and I just stick to those core tones, and tweak using the tone controls on the amp. After all, a lot of these amp models are based on amps which have very similar circuits and, often, the main difference between them is the tone control circuitry, or the cabinet/speaker.

I like to mess with FX still, especially modulations and delays. But even for distortions/overdrives I have tended to settle on 2 or 3 that I use for almost everything, in conjunction with some EQ.

Systems which promise dozens of amp models actually tend to turn me off these days, as I know it's something I neither need or will use, unless it's something I can easily bypass.

Cheers,

Keith

Understand where you are coming from Keith and I think when my soloing improves, I will be more likely to find that "me" tone or 3, then the other 97 set ups will go out the window.  Also agree with you distortion, as I have begun to settle on a couple of the FX available on the Mustang. FX like reverb, mod and delay will always have to be adjust to suit the mood if your not just copying a "band" plugin FX that has it all done for you,  even then tweaks may be necessary due to personal perception.  8)

Offline nigec

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 08:17:24 pm »
Mines been at my daughters for 4 months along with the Strat, I just had to get it back just to see if it was ok, it is luckily.
I never thought the band presets for mine were that good, that's why I never bothered,  I think the newer Mustang's are a lot nicer, but it's lasted 8 years, I still suck but its fun, I've been playing a Hofner bass through a cheap amp so I've not been distracted with trying to find the right sound and I seem to suck less because of it  ;D
Guitars:  Hofner Bass, Squier classic vibe Stratocaster; Fender look alike Jazz bass from a kit, Cigarbox 3 string, Uke, Mandolin and the devil loves a tryer!

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 130
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 07:18:08 pm »
Interesting tale of woe. I feel you. Glad that you were able to sort it out and get back in the game. For every player there is an equal and different approach to dealing with all of the solid state/modeling amp options.

I can't speak for other amps, but the Mustang series allows you to bypass all presets and knob twiddles by pressing "Tap" + "Power On" at the same time. The only knob that works at this point is volume -- you are completely bypassing the pre-amp section and are running a totally clean power amp. What's the value of this setting? It makes the amp an excellent pedal platform, acoustic guitar works nicely, and any software snafus are bypassed so that you still have a working amp.

Early on in my Mustang journey I mucked around with downloaded presets and found the activity to be tiresome and pointless after a while. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I worked on developing the skill of plugging in and starting each session fresh. With the Fuse software I select an amp->cabinet->signal chain, that's it. It's real-world applicable in my mind. Think Marshall, 4x12, overdrive, delay, and make some noise. It's like walking into a room with a Fender Champ (or any number of amps) ready to go. That's the most fun I've had with my Mustang and I've developed the ability to dial in tone that suits me on the fly. Making the complex simple is a great skill to develop, as is learning to ditch any crutches.

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 08:49:28 pm »
Interesting tale of woe. I feel you. Glad that you were able to sort it out and get back in the game. For every player there is an equal and different approach to dealing with all of the solid state/modeling amp options.

I can't speak for other amps, but the Mustang series allows you to bypass all presets and knob twiddles by pressing "Tap" + "Power On" at the same time. The only knob that works at this point is volume -- you are completely bypassing the pre-amp section and are running a totally clean power amp. What's the value of this setting? It makes the amp an excellent pedal platform, acoustic guitar works nicely, and any software snafus are bypassed so that you still have a working amp.

Early on in my Mustang journey I mucked around with downloaded presets and found the activity to be tiresome and pointless after a while. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I worked on developing the skill of plugging in and starting each session fresh. With the Fuse software I select an amp->cabinet->signal chain, that's it. It's real-world applicable in my mind. Think Marshall, 4x12, overdrive, delay, and make some noise. It's like walking into a room with a Fender Champ (or any number of amps) ready to go. That's the most fun I've had with my Mustang and I've developed the ability to dial in tone that suits me on the fly. Making the complex simple is a great skill to develop, as is learning to ditch any crutches.

That's really great info Clint and I think I will need to read this a couple of times and maybe try that clean start up/bypass. However I do have a number of slots with just the 17 amp models and no other FX/Pedals and when I was in a regular practice mind set, I often just set with a "basic" amp.

Anyway, after a couple of days away from playing, prepping for Confinement II was doing my head in, I sat down to play tonight and wham (no not Micheal and Riggley) GROUNDHOG DAY. Wot the fudge more Whitesnake !!!

So I went through the factory reset, same. And reloaded firmware same. Looked for something to kick or a wall to bang my head against. Powered it all off, rebooted PC as Fuse now had its knickers in a twist and was hanging. While it was coming up, dragged my old Behringer Virtube GX110 out from under the deskside table, dusted it down, plugin and powered up. Cushty, working after 8 years dormant, with as many capr presets as the Mustang arrived with. But hey ho contingency and I always have my DI -> AI into Waves GTR as a fall back.

PC back up, Fuse and Mustang up and zero sound. Dragged Expression pedal out from side of amp to check pedal chain and whoa sound, loads of it !! Nearly blew me eardrums out. You know when those thought bubbles defy gravity ? Yes one of those moments..........backed off pedal from fully down to off/upright. No sound. Pressed it down a little.....sound. Something like dunkin doughnut sprang to mind, as I hastily brought up the EXP-1 manual, to check what the green light means, as I say not used in ages and not very much at that.  Green = volume Red = Expression ::) Stomp down to change.

And I did, so friggin hard it bounced from green to red to green again. Drew breath and stomped in a more controlled manner. Red, sound, across the many FX I stomped up during the next 5 minutes.

So groundhog day came to an end and I am a complete wassack !! Damn school boy error. Laugh ? I could have cried.

Now, all of the above recovery steps are all valid and will work equally well should you lose the sound on your Mustang and need to reload the software. But can I quickly add Step Zero to that 5 step program

- If using an Expression Pedal, makes sure it is a) not set to volume and b) that the volume is not at 0.

Another practice/playing session goes out the window and I have 100 FX to reload once more. But before that I am going to grab a Grimbergen or two before the fun begins, as Groundhog Day is not quite done yet.

Have a wonderful weekend folks where ever you are. Be safe and be well and have a good laugh at this stoopid old sod who should know better. Remember folks GAS can seriously damage your health.

Chin chin.  8)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2020, 04:18:14 am »
Oh woe, Toby ... certainly not laughing.

With wanting to be prophetic ... becoming a bit like a bad movie francise ... Silent Amp 2, the Expression Pedal twist.

And like most of those francises, two was usually more than enough. Here's hoping the next story is one of actual play and progress.

Hope you have a couple of originals slow cooking on the hob

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 10:07:27 am »
Oh woe, Toby ... certainly not laughing.

With wanting to be prophetic ... becoming a bit like a bad movie francise ... Silent Amp 2, the Expression Pedal twist.

And like most of those francises, two was usually more than enough. Here's hoping the next story is one of actual play and progress.

Hope you have a couple of originals slow cooking on the hob

Think I've seen them movies  ;)
Now making sure the pedal is set to Expression on each FX, as I can't see myself using pedal volume that often and I can always stomp it on if I need it.

Now as to songs, just came back from walking the dog and wrote up some lockdown lyrics that came to me. Need to think about progressions but could be a slow bluesy thing. Watch this space.  8)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2020, 10:30:51 am »
Think I've seen them movies  ;)
Now making sure the pedal is set to Expression on each FX, as I can't see myself using pedal volume that often and I can always stomp it on if I need it.

Now as to songs, just came back from walking the dog and wrote up some lockdown lyrics that came to me. Need to think about progressions but could be a slow bluesy thing. Watch this space.  8)

That sounds promising, Toby.

I took a first step on my next original this morning ... figuring out the tempo of my rough play through of the progression.  Unusual for me to move straight into the next original immediately after completing one ... usual there is months and months that pass before I hear the muse a calling.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
    • My Road Case
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 10:58:11 am »
Oh no Toby. At least the good news is there's nothing wrong with your amp.

It sounded a bit like a moment from The IT Crowd.

I must admit, those volume pedals can be tricky things. A couple of times on my rig I have wondered why I wasn't getting any sound, and it was my volume pedal turned all the way down.
 Really glad you got it sorted. I would love to know your wife's reaction to this.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 338
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2020, 11:21:07 am »
It sounded a bit like a moment from The IT Crowd.

Just discovered the IT Crowd on Netflix ... fabulous.  Reminds of BOFH ...

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
    • My Road Case
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2020, 11:27:26 am »
Ah yes,I used to read Network Week when I was a PFY.

Cheers,

Keith

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 165
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2020, 03:57:50 pm »

I must admit, those volume pedals can be tricky things. A couple of times on my rig I have wondered why I wasn't getting any sound, and it was my volume pedal turned all the way down. Really glad you got it sorted. I would love to know your wife's reaction to this.

Cheers,

Keith

Glad its not just me but what a complete numbty I felt !!  :-[

As to my good lady, she's now insisting I buy a second amp just in case !!!! Now I know she does not understand all my contingency options, even dragging my very old 30W Marshal out of the loft. But ......

If I unplugged that wee headphone cable from the Mustang and played sans AI phones, I some how doubt she would be as agreeable or understanding. Expect the money would then be better spent replacing the patio windows in my den/music room..............'onest luv it said everything louder than everything else. I didn't think it would blow the windows out.

Yes all is good and I am looking forward to having a play this evening ;D

Cheers

Toby
 8)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App